NGD 2009 Gibson "The Eye" guitar.

• Thread starter mikernaut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Well this guitar is not for everyone and seems to get a lot of "hate". Since I like weird and unique guitars I took a liking to it as I really dig bright red and white guitars. These were made in 2009 and was part of a run of 350 guitars.

It also goes well with the Les Paul I recently acquired.

It's a pretty snappy playing guitar and very lightweight. It seems the majority of the weight is in the neck. So with it being very light and the color scheme I can see why some people would say it feels like a "toy". Especially when you compare it to Les Pauls.

I'm not totally sure how much these went for intially, ($2000 range?) maybe a bit highly priced but still a solid playing model if you find one used and like the appearance.

The pickups are more on the lower gain side of things I'm finding and I'll probably have to play around with some patches to see what works with them.

Only other thing to note is that the paint allows some of the grain to come through, I'm assuming this is something Gibson did on purpose as I have seen this comment on others guitars in this run, but that kinda gives the impression it was a "quick" or "cheap" paint job possibly and wish they would have just made it more "solid" and "shiny".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dantas

Reaction score
HNGD!

Not a fan of SG's and SG look-alikes, but me gusta a lot red guitars/basses :cool:

Also, the off set horns and different pick guard makes it stands out from the guitar crowd. Despite the "hate", it's nonetheless an original/different cool looking guitar (especially for a Gibson).

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Should be called the Gibson "ouch my eyes" guitar. ;-)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
With a different/no pickguard and metal pup covers this thing could definitely look like a pretty cool normal non-toy guitar. Though I'm an SG guy myself, I don't dislike this body shape... but it's like, really extreme. I'd expect to see it in like black with lots of MOP or something. It would do well to be used as a body shape for a guitar aimed at more extreme metal genres.

')