NGD: 2016 Gibson Made to Measure #2

• Thread starter drgordonfreeman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
As I continue my journey through the world of Gibson, I find myself as the very fortunate owner of this work of art from the Gibson Custom Shop.

Going back to 1997, I was flipping through one of my guitar magazine subscriptions, and I saw an ad for the Joe Perry signature Les Paul. I fell in love with the trans black finish, and ever since, I've wanted an LP in trans black. The bad news: the Joe Perry signature is long out of production. The good news: Gibson has the Made to Measure program.

I contacted my guy, Mark Di Donna, over at The Music Zoo, and we started the process for this custom build. We went through several flamed maple top blanks before I finally found the one I wanted:

NMuvWW.jpg

Since the specs from my last Gibson Made to Measure build turned out so spectacularly well, I kept things the same for this build, save for the trans black burst, of course.

Top Color: Translucent Black
Back Color: Black stain
Finish: Gloss finish
Body: Les Paul solid body (not weight relieved or chambered)
Body Construction: 1-piece mahogany back
Neck: 1-piece mahogany with long tenon
Neck Profile: 1960's SlimTaper profile (.800 at 1st fret and .850 at 12th fret)
Fingerboard: Ebony (as dark as possible with no streaking)
Fingerboard Radius: 12"
Fret Wire: Jescar 57110 (.110" wide x .057" tall)
Inlays: Mother of pearl trapezoids
Hardware: Nickel
Tuners: Locking Grovers
Binding: Multi-ply binding on body top, body back, and neck (binding over frets, i.e., nibs)
Bridge: ABR-1 bridge with stopbar tail piece
Bridge Pickup: '57 Classic humbucker with black pickup ring
Neck Pickup: '57 Classic humbucker with black pickup ring
Controls: 2 tone (black bonnet knobs), 2 volume (black bonnet knobs), 3-way pickup selector switch

As always, Gibson did a phenomenal job on this thing. It plays even better than it looks, and the ebony board they selected is amazingly smooth. I've always maintained that Gibson has some of the best selections of ebony boards available, and this build certainly reinforces that thought.

I'm using the pictures Mark took, because he's a much better photographer than I am. :lol:

0PS9ue.jpg

peDlhI.jpg

HGQVHG.jpg

p2RzXp.jpg

hkqRZx.jpg

bsK1uU.jpg

IjzcMC.jpg

cB462R.jpg

2H1uA4.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I too share Your affinity for the trans black Joe Perry signature Paul. Yours looks absolutely fantastic, that color just works on a LP so well. Congrats!

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Curiosity: Is their "Axxccess" (spelling?) an option? That top looks great btw. Surprised trans black isn't occasionally an actual model.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Didn't know Gibson had a M2M program...This could be a problem. Seconding the question about the Axcess heel.

HNGD!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Really good looking LP.:yesway:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for that LP Custom headstock/inlay. This one really, really lives up to it. Nice work!

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Nice! Gibson have a made to measure program? Wow I wish I didn't read that.

Yea, tell me about it!

Curiosity: Is their "Axxccess" (spelling?) an option? That top looks great btw. Surprised trans black isn't occasionally an actual model.

Didn't know Gibson had a M2M program...This could be a problem. Seconding the question about the Axcess heel.

HNGD!

From what I understand, you can pretty much get anything you want from the M2M program. I haven't tested their limits personally, but that's what I've been told. Of course, the crazier you get, the more expensive it gets, but I wouldn't imagine an Axcess option would blow the price up or anything.

Beautiful! Many congrats! How long did it take?

Thanks! It waited about 6 months for it to arrive.

I'm a sucker for that LP Custom headstock/inlay. This one really, really lives up to it. Nice work!

Yea, the same here. I love the Custom headstock, but I'm not a fan of the big block inlays on the fretboard. Luckily, the M2M program lets you do crazy things, like combine the Custom headstock with the standard trapezoid inlays, which I'm a much bigger fan of.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they still use ebony? I was under the impression everything that they used to use ebony on switched to Richlite circa 2010~

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Is there a comprehensive list on the options offered? I cant find one online. Just to contact an authorized dealer, etc.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they still use ebony? I was under the impression everything that they used to use ebony on switched to Richlite circa 2010~

Yea, they did for everything but special exceptions and/or one-off's, like an m2m.

Is there a comprehensive list on the options offered? I cant find one online. Just to contact an authorized dealer, etc.

Great question, and I wish I knew the answer. From what I understand, the options are only limited by your wallet and/or creativity. Having said that, I've never asked, because everything I've wanted has always been pretty straightforward/standard.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's a beauty. Congrats.

hidebai

hidebai
Reaction score
Very cool!
I am also a gibson lovers,
Envy you can own custom,
Congratulations! Enjoy it!