NGD: $50 RGA project

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I am thoroughly un-relaxed tbh. All of my excitement about this guitar is now gone and I wish I hadn't bought it.
why dog, forget these bozos. You got a perfectly serviceable guitar for basically free.
But, as one of the bozos, I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you're over it....I'll even double your money :lol:

HNGD bro swirl that fucker 100%

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aliascent

Reaction score
I also had a RGAIX6FM but in black, I think those are some of the most beautiful guitars Ibanez made, even they don't really have anything to "wow" you.

To score one for $50... That's super lucky, make something great out of it !

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
every time I buy a cheap guitar I regret it. Next time I want buy a clapped out low-end guitar with a broken output jack I'll make sure to run it by the forum first

I am thoroughly un-relaxed tbh. All of my excitement about this guitar is now gone and I wish I hadn't bought it.
I feel so lost... you got an unbelievably good deal on a guitar that sells normally for around $400-600 used. If you don't like it, just sell it and make some money on it. I don't get why you're "un-relaxed" about anything here other than it not fitting your wants to keep it.

swimrunner

Reaction score
On-topic... if you are OK with the off-white color in general, you could stick it under a UV lamp when you're not playing it, and after a while the sticker part will have blended in. Less work than a refin, although this is certainly a good candidate if you're feeling it.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Current state of the guitar. Have a large amazon order of sanding supplies on the way. Fingers crossed I don't regret this lmao
RGA-disassembled.png

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
things have now been set in motion which cannot be undone. First I got it all taped up:
taped-up.png

After 2 hours we are left with:
body-sanded.png

headstock-sanded.png

Since it will be painted in an opaque color I worried more about surface finish than about preserving the veneers. But man Ibanez really did waste some nice veneer with their thick tinted clear they do rather than dying the maple and spraying actual clear. Also lol at not veneering the horn cutouts at all.

Finally we made some steps toward the final vision of the guitar by plugging the stupid coil split toggle hole. I know it's there so they don't have to redo their control cavity CNC file, but we don't need it for this guitar - a push-pull pot will do.
hole-filled.png

Tomorrow I'll cut off the plug, re-sand that area, and get it taped up for primer. Hopefully I can also spray primer, but I'm more interested in doing this project right than doing it fast.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
things have now been set in motion which cannot be undone. First I got it all taped up:
taped-up.png

After 2 hours we are left with:
body-sanded.png

headstock-sanded.png

Since it will be painted in an opaque color I worried more about surface finish than about preserving the veneers. But man Ibanez really did waste some nice veneer with their thick tinted clear they do rather than dying the maple and spraying actual clear. Also lol at not veneering the horn cutouts at all.

Finally we made some steps toward the final vision of the guitar by plugging the stupid coil split toggle hole. I know it's there so they don't have to redo their control cavity CNC file, but we don't need it for this guitar - a push-pull pot will do.
hole-filled.png

Tomorrow I'll cut off the plug, re-sand that area, and get it taped up for primer. Hopefully I can also spray primer, but I'm more interested in doing this project right than doing it fast.
They looks great, man. Looking forward to seeing this fully finished.

')