NGD!! 7 string semi-hollow single-cut action!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
No fluff. On to the shitty cell phone pictures!

new7-01.jpg

new7-02.jpg

new7-03.jpg

Will take more pictures with my 'real' camera asap, and update my 7 string family thread with a new group shot as well.

Now about the guitar:

I found it on Ebay, the exact same day that I sold my Epiphone Sheraton II. It's a Matt Raines guitar, but I think it was one of his early builds. The seller didn't know much about it ("My brother bought this right before he died..") so I got it at a ridiculous price. (less than $400, the comparable model on the Matt Raines site goes for $1200-ish..) It still has the plastic on the pick guard and on the back of the tuners. :metal:

It needs some set up work. I changed the strings as soon as I got it, and I'm currently in the process of finding the happy medium between truss rod and bridge adjustments. It currently has some nasty fret buzzes on the lower strings in the lower frets.

Apart from that (which is totally expected and standard), it's wonderful. The neck is surprisingly slim, very similar to the Ibanez profile I'm so used to at this point. It's very light weight and comfortable to play. The flame top and back are really nice, and it feels good to have a 7 string with an ebony fretboard. It projects really well when unplugged. Maybe not as much as the Sheraton did, but very close. I can detect harmonics much easier with this one, though. Those little vibrations our ears barely detect when strings are out of tune SCREAM out of this thing, which is a good thing. (to me it's a good thing, anyway..)

The only thing I'm not happy about is the tuners. I already HATE them. I've never seen tuners like these.. They have some kind of a locking system that basically requires a screwdriver when changing strings. You have to loosen the tuning pole, which actually comes all the way out of the peg, push the string through, and then tighten it back into place. Not *too* tight mind you, or it will just snap the string and then you're fucked. What a colossal pain in the ass!! What genius invented this shit? At my first opportunity, I'm replacing these tuners. Anyone wanna buy them? ;)

Anyway, I'm really exited about it. :yesway:

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the most versatile pickup possible I might be able to chuck into this thing could be, please let me know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
Cool man, I've come across these Matt Raines guitars on the 'bay quite often but I haven't seen too much feedback on them. A budget seven string jazz box seems like quite a rarity. Give us an update on how it plays once you get it all set up.

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
I love it!!!! that maple seems beautiful, I`m waiting for the good pics.
I know is a jazz guitar, so thats why only have a neck pup, but...black?
I think it needs a golden or silver one IMO.
Anyway, congrats!!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
MaKo´s Tethan;1714029 said:
I love it!!!! that maple seems beautiful, I`m waiting for the good pics.
I know is a jazz guitar, so thats why only have a neck pup, but...black?
I think it needs a golden or silver one IMO.
Anyway, congrats!!

I'd be inclined to agree, except that all the rest of the hardware is black as well..

What I'm thinking about doing (eventually) is replacing all the hardware. A nice wooden pickguard, and 'distressed' chrome or gold pickups/bridge/tuners.. Time will tell, I guess. :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
better pics asafp, nice guitar yo!

EliNoPants

Reaction score
man, a budget version of that guitar is one of the things i wish was available, but right now i just can't justify dropping money on one

even with the cell pics it looks rather pretty

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
There has been a bunch of them of Ebay lately, they look really nice

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's a nice-looking guitar! A hollowbody is definitely needed in my lineup of sevens.

Oooh... there are some nice trans black ones.

attachment.php

And blue!

attachment.php

GAS... rising...

Attachments

• WFYQ-040-2.jpg
    WFYQ-040-2.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 244
  • WFYQ-041-2.jpg
    WFYQ-041-2.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 246

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sweet score:yesway: Matt Raines has an account here, from memory, so hoepfully he might be able to shed a bit more light on your guitar.

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
The only thing I'm not happy about is the tuners. I already HATE them. I've never seen tuners like these.. They have some kind of a locking system that basically requires a screwdriver when changing strings. You have to loosen the tuning pole, which actually comes all the way out of the peg, push the string through, and then tighten it back into place. Not *too* tight mind you, or it will just snap the string and then you're fucked. What a colossal pain in the ass!! What genius invented this shit? At my first opportunity, I'm replacing these tuners. Anyone wanna buy them? ;)

Hey man, don't throw them away yet...

There's no need to use a screwdriver!

The proper way to use them (if what you have are like Gotoh's magnum lock) is to get the tuning pole loose (prolly with a coin or screwdriver for now) and then - string thru normally. Start turning and tightening up... hold the string slightly taunt thru the tuner hole... as the tuner turns, you'd notice the tuning pole tightening on its own. Finally, the pole will be tight enought to self-lock on the string.

To remove string, just loosen tuner as per normal... the string will cause the locking mechanism to unlock on its own.

It's not a bad design honestly.... poor for ppl who like to do plenty of alternate tunings (but if so, why use locking tuners?) but otherwise, it's pretty lightweight and it works.

dtdb

Reaction score
If you're thinking about replacing the pickup, you could look into a BKP mule7 or even a Black Dog to get that axe singing.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Depending upon what you're trying to do with it, I'd recommend the following pickups for your guitar:
Seymour Duncan SH-2 (7-string variant) (Jazz),
Bartolini 492C-B-BK (this might be a bit more tough to find),
Q-Tuner Mid-Z 7-string spacing.

Hope this helps.

')