NGD!! 7 string semi-hollow single-cut action!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
that looks sweet! i would q-tuner that pickup right away, too! :lol:

I appreciate the recommendations, everybody. I'm still not very familiar with how this thing sounds when plugged in -- still working out the set up issues. (these things take time..)

I'm just going to be aiming for a pickup that will be nice and versatile. Since this guitar only has the neck pickup, I'm hoping to eventually get a pickup in there that won't necessarily sound like I only have a neck pickup, if that makes any sense.

At any rate, still trying to figure out the right balance between the action and neck relief. Lowered the action to where I'd like it to be, but having major fret buzz issues still. Adjusted the truss rod again last night, so I'll see what kind of effect that had later this evening. :yesway:

MoNsTaR

Reaction score
That's a nice-looking guitar! A hollowbody is definitely needed in my lineup of sevens.

Oooh... there are some nice trans black ones.

attachment.php

And blue!

attachment.php

GAS... rising...

i saw these, and im not even sure there raines. the horns look more rounded and the scale lenght is different.

im really interested in getting one, but i dont wanna be fooled into a shit copy.

BTW, who was the seller? $400 is a steal

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i saw these, and im not even sure there raines. the horns look more rounded and the scale lenght is different.

im really interested in getting one, but i dont wanna be fooled into a shit copy.

BTW, who was the seller? $400 is a steal

I find this funny given that Raines are cheaply built Korean guitars that he sells for a high markup...

MoNsTaR

Reaction score
I find this funny given that Raines are cheaply built Korean guitars that he sells for a high markup...

your right, but who else makes 25.5" scale 7 string hollow bodies?
in a few reviews ive read, people have bought the fusion 7 and other models for $500.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The ones i posted appear to be 24.75" scale, Chinese-made guitars, sold under the brand name "Grote". They appear to have similar hardware to the Raines. But did you see the neck joint?

WFYQ-040-3.jpg

:yum:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
So... This thing is starting to drive me completely crazy.

I've been fucking with the set up for more than 2 weeks now and I'm not getting *anywhere*......

I took some pictures of something that's kind of bugging me, because I can't remember seeing a guitar built like this before, but maybe my memory just isn't clear.

Basically, even when I have the action considerably higher than I'd like it to be, I STILL get fret buzz. I've tried adjusting the bridge, and the truss rod, I've tried different kinds of strings just in case it was a string issue, and nothing is working. At the same time I'm kinda fucked up trying to figure out which way I *should* adjust the truss rod because, well.. Just look at this:

guitarWTF01.jpg

That's on a flat counter top for reference. See what that neck is doing? Why is it set at such a drastic angle?! Surely, that can't be right?

guitarWTF02.jpg

So no matter what I do adjusment wise, unless I bow the shit out of the neck, the action is always going to be lower at the low frets than it is at the high frets, because the bridge is installed 'flat' while the neck is installed at a 30-45 degree angle!! WTF?!

12th fret-ish:

guitarWTF03.jpg

1st fret-ish:

guitarWTF04.jpg

I'm *praying* one of you luthier types will chime in and say 'oh, that's totally normal, here's what you do......', but at the present moment I'm having a really hard time shaking the feeling that I sold a perfectly good 6 string semi hollow to buy a completely worthless 7 string that's barely even playable. :ugh:

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
can i get a shot of the neckjoint man? id like to help you resolve this

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
can i get a shot of the neckjoint man? id like to help you resolve this

here it is from 3 different perspectives:

guitarWTFjoint01.jpg

guitarWTFjoint02.jpg

guitarWTFjoint03.jpg

*edit* looking at the binding on the cutaway side (the first picture in this post), really illustrates the problem.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
That is quite the neck angle, but if the neck is straight and the frets are level, I would think you could still get the action down to a reasonable level. Are you able to adjust the truss rod until the fretboard is flat (no bow/relief at all)? Like if you were to lay a straightedge down the fretboard, could you get it so that it was touching every fret? I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like the problem might be either a high fret or some upward curving of the fretboard at the upper frets. A good straightedge ought to prove or disprove that pretty easily.

I hope this all works out alright. Its a cool looking guitar man.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
That is quite the neck angle, but if the neck is straight and the frets are level, I would think you could still get the action down to a reasonable level. Are you able to adjust the truss rod until the fretboard is flat (no bow/relief at all)? Like if you were to lay a straightedge down the fretboard, could you get it so that it was touching every fret? I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like the problem might be either a high fret or some upward curving of the fretboard at the upper frets. A good straightedge ought to prove or disprove that pretty easily.

I hope this all works out alright. Its a cool looking guitar man.

Yeah, part of my problem is that I don't own a straight edge. To date, I've just been able to sight stuff, but this guitar is breaking that streak for certain. I guess I'm gonna have to pick up a straight edge asap.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno if this is a stupid idea or not but could you possibly raise the nut? In my currently hazy thoughts this could work because it would raise the action at the first couple of frets and allow you to lower the bridge down a little more before the low frets start buzzing again.

:scratch:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Fret the low E at the third fret and look at the distance from the first fret to the string. if its touching, you have a low nut. Not a huge fix, either shim it or get a replacement installed.

Im almost certain this is your problem. You could also take it to a music store and have a tech look at it real quick.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
The 2 posts before this one are correct :)

The way the neck is aligned is common to all jazz guitars so dont worry about it, its most likely just a minor issue

I dunno if this is a stupid idea or not but could you possibly raise the nut?

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
The 2 posts before this one are correct :)

The way the neck is aligned is common to all jazz guitars so dont worry about it, its most likely just a minor issue

Interesting. I wonder why I've never noticed that. What exactly does it take to qualify as a 'jazz' guitar? I've played roughly 20 completely different brands/models of hollow bodies, and they *all* had straight necks... *edit* also, what's the point? I feel like this design goes boldly against established 'guitar physics'..(?)

')