NGD: A 13-year-old nearly virgin RG7420!

Experimorph

Reaction score
I scored something and went to buy it today. When I got back home, I was carrying this:

27xjj3s.jpg

In the case I found... this!

jrty82.jpg

It's an Ibanez RG7420 CB, built back in 2000 according to the serial number - and there are absolutely no scratches or ding-dongs anywhere to be found on this baby, not counting some rough surface on the bridge. According to the former owner, he had only played the guitar for maybe 10 hours before fully committing to fatherhood. Moral of the story: think twice before...AHEM!

The finish is absolutely gorgeous! The cosmic blue is more like a purple, and that makes me drool. Indoor pics do no justice to it whatsoever.

264q88h.jpg

The guitar also came with a black DiMarzio straplock and all the proper Ibanez deedledoodle.

k33ih4.jpg

The guitar had very old strings on it and the action is up in the skies, but I took a couple of runs on the neck while checking out the electronics, and it felt very sturdy and comfortable. And it's straight as an arrow. The neck is screaming for some oil and the frets need a brush-up. Other than that, no faults at all.

6hhpph.jpg

2e548ci.jpg

2pu04eg.jpg

11c75a0.jpg

My only concern is the trem, for widely acknowledged reasons.

nnr1hd.jpg

2rgc049.jpg

I'm more than happy I came across this individual. I've been avoiding trems for the past couple of years after growing tired of then-my Ibanez RG1527. Lately I've had this newborn urge to learn and play some Vai-ish stuff, and I started scouring the market for trem-equipped axes. I saw this beauty and simply couldn't resist buying it.

Anyway, here's a to-do list:
1. Get a pack of new strings and set up the guitar to meet the standards she deserves.
2. Later on: new pickups! I was initially thinking about Evolutions, but am probably going for the Crunch Lab - Liquifire combo. The Evolutions seem to go mud-mud in the low end.
3. If the Lo-TRS is good for nothing but feeding the fish, I'll get an OFR-7 to drop in there.
4. Learn to take better photographs.

I can't wait to bring her to life tomorrow!

A quick side question here! I understand the OFR-7 is a drop-in replacement for the tremolo aside from the studs. I was already looking at some, and came across this: Guitar Parts Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo Bridge Steel Saddle 7 String Black | eBay What's the deal with that - I mean, is it Korean made or what, as in not an OFR? I thought the Korean made models didn't have steel saddles. And would that one be a drop-in; would you avoid it? Thanks to anyone who could give a definitive answer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
IMO Lo-TRS> LFR.

Also HNGD!

I love those bubinga stripes!

*sorry, I wasn't very clear. What is pictured in that listing is a Licensed FR-a Floyd copy.
An OFR will run you 2 or 3 times that. But the TRS is a nice trem. People slag it, I guess; because Ibanez makes the Low Pro ans Edge Pro and those are very nice trems.

Play the TRS and see what you think. ..

Experimorph

Reaction score
IMO Lo-TRS> LFR.

Also HNGD!

I love those bubinga stripes!

*sorry, I wasn't very clear. What is pictured in that listing is a Licensed FR-a Floyd copy.
An OFR will run you 2 or 3 times that. But the TRS is a nice trem. People slag it, I guess; because Ibanez makes the Low Pro ans Edge Pro and those are very nice trems.

Play the TRS and see what you think. ..

Thanks, mayne! I was suspecting as much. An OFR-7 would cost me some 240 euros at Thomann's, and I wasn't sure what was going on with that listing. The steel saddles were just confusing me.

I had an Edge Pro in my RG1527 and it was surely an amazing bridge - quite possibly the best feeling bridge I've ever played. I don't know what to expect from the Lo-TRS, having heard so much bashing, but I'll find out tomorrow once I've got the guitar set up and singing again.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Nice! I didn't know they made those in the Cosmic Blue finish. I just got a RG1527 in the same color I just posted a thread recently. The finish is awesome!

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
That is just awesome. I wish I could have one too...

HNGD! you lucky bastard ;)

Reaction score
Hey man, I have the same Lo-Trs trem on my RG470 (Korean) sixer. I don't know why it's been "bastardized". It's good tremolo, maybe not as advanced as actual ones with zero-point, but when it's set up properly, it does the job. This sixer I mentioned was my first Ibanez and it keeps on tune as of today, 14 years after I bought this nice axe. No need to change it.

Experimorph

Reaction score
Thanks erryun! I'm delighted to hear people have had more positive experiences with the trem.

I just got back home with fresh strings and will be starting work on the guitar. I bet she'll look even better once all that smudge and dust is gone!