NGD: A Division of...

• Thread starter Antiproduct
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
Ibanez. Maxxas.
Or: what if Ibanez guitars were enemies in Earthbound.
Many on this forum may know them, but outside of that, this line of Ibanez is relatively unknown. Actually I wanted to write a little text here about the history of these curious guitars, but our friend @ibanezgitarrero has already taken over this almost 10 years ago and I can add little. Please read through his thread, I think he has (or had) the biggest Maxxas collection I know. He probably already had this one in his collection as well.

My guitar is an Ibanez Maxxas MX-2 in the color Fountain Blue. I was fascinated by the Maxxas series 15 years ago when I first learned about it. Even then, these guitars were not often available on the used market and although I was offered an MX-3 in Magma Red, I just couldn't afford it at the time. Fatal when you look at the prices nowadays. Accordingly, I was sporadically "looking" for a Maxxas in Magma Red, but couldn't say no to this offer. The price was right, the condition seemed fine. The color is not necessarily mine, but I had the money at the time and nothing could stop me.

IMG_6517.JPG

In terms of condition, I didn't have any great expectations, so I wasn't really disappointed when the MX2 arrived in "player" condition. A few nicks and scratches here and there, the tremolo arm is unfortunately no longer original and one of the previous owners must have been a ring bearer with a decent amount of contact pressure as the fretboard has a few minor grooves. Nothing that bothers me, on the contrary even, since I do not have to feel bad to play them instead of leaving them in collector condition. The next refret will be to sand the fingerboard and it will look like new.

IMG_6518.JPG

In terms of appearance, it roughly reminds me of a Saber or Radius, but much curvier and rounder. It's a pretty unique design that I'm not surprised to hear was just an experiment and unfortunately didn't catch on. The body is flat and shaped like a UFO, but not quite as thin as a Saber. It feels very comfortable to play. I personally really like the headstock because it is so unique in the Ibanez world.

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

Other than that, though, it's a typical Ibanez. The neck is about the same as a Wizard. Very comfortable to play and if you are used to Wizard necks you will feel right at home here. Interesting to note that there is already an AANJ neck joint here while my 5 year older RG770DX has a block.
The tremolo is a comfortable Edge with a Back Stop system. I can not Back Stop before and apparently it is a predecessor system of the ZPS to act. I rarely use the tremolo, so unfortunately I can not judge how well it works.

IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

As for the pickups, according to Wiki, they are Ibanez F2 and F1 before they got the official name, which I doubt. For one thing, according to 1987 flyer Ibanez IBZ/USA HB1 are humbuckers. On the other hand, I have the original F2 humbuckers in my RG770DX and although both pickups sound very similar, I don't think they are identical.

IMG_6520.JPG

The IBZ/USA have slightly less output than the F2 and have no F-Spacing. I like the sound, although I would like a little more compression.

In summary, it is a truly unique guitar that I am glad to have the chance to play and own. It is a small piece of Ibanez history that I hold in my hands.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Duuude, great find! Despite being a bit “played-in” it looks to have been kept in pretty excellent shape.
I’ve never gotten along with the feel of Backstops, ZPS setups either, fwiw, but they may be less obtrusive if you’re an infrequent trem user.
Congrats, hope you enjoy that one, I’m chapped with jealousy over here.

Reaction score
Nice find! Congrats! May she serve you well and long!

Maxxas where kind of a mix of Sabers and Radius, but maybe a bit more on the saber side of things. That color ain't my thing for a guitar, but I guess it works well in this sample.

Please, make some noise with it to show us!...

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love everything about it, rare esoteric Ibanez in a funky color is my jam.

Congrats!

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great color! I dug into researching these when I first saw them since they're so interesting looking.
Something about late 80's/90's Ibanez design contours are just pleasing to look at. It's definitely a more dated looking design than Sabers or RGs, but it's awesome.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Nice score! I really love those old school knobs. Congrats!
I am a sucker for Beehive knobs, and it's a shame they are long out of production. A few years ago, at least the full rubber version was still available (it was used on SoundGear bass models and the SC500 nylon string Saber), but these have unfortunately been discontinued, too.

The closest you can get to a Beehive Knob nowadays is the Q-Parts Ringo https://qparts.com/product-category/knob/ringo/ (it has no rubber o rings, though) or the Hipshot O Ring https://hipshotproducts.com/products/o-ring-knobs (but it only comes in cylinder shape).

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats! been one of my white whale guitars. Especially that color.

I regret not buying it when no one wanted one, because now they’re always $3k+.

')