NGD: Acacia Custom Guitars Hades 6- Black Friday Run

• Thread starter NoahFett
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoahFett

Reaction score
This is my first NGD-

I ordered this during the black Friday sale here on the forum, it took about 9 months from the day I ordered to when I received the guitar.

2r7598y.jpg

x7nnb.jpg

First off I would like to commend the guys at Acacia, while the the build updates were few and far between they were accurate. At no time did they give me an unrealistic idea of when the guitar would be ready.

The good: This guitar sounds massive-I don't know if its the EMG's, the building materials or a combination of the two. The cleans sparkle, and even under tons of gain the chords retain clarity and it has purr for miles.

Compared to my MM JP6 with stock LF/CL and my Gibson Buckethead Les Paul Studio loaded with Duncan Distortions-its one of the best sounding guitar that I have ever owned.

After a pretty extensive setup (I threw on some Daddario EXL 115w's and tuned to drop C) the guitar played great. The hipshot hardware made set up a snap, I had to adjust the the string height, truss rod and intonation.

The neck is very comfortable-the carve I was told is their modern D-shape, it is ever so slightly thicker than a wizard II, and slightly flatter on the back than a Jackson Soloist neck. Feels like a nice hybrid between the two.

So far as I can tell the guitar holds tune quite well in a controlled environment like my little studio room.

The Bad:There are a few finish flaws on my guitar.

I would like to first clarify that these are all cosmetic and do not effect how the guitar plays or sounds. The timber used, especially the curly maple top looks gorgeous.

The first thing I noticed is while the fret work is adequate as far being the proper radius, correctly leveled and smooth to the touch- there are quite a few obvious fret file marks along the fret ends.

Also the fret slots seem to be cut rather deep, some more than others, some less than others. I have seen this on other brands of guitars like my JP6-but on my JP it looks like they used some sort of grain filler to close the gap and give a more finished look. Some of the side dots-particularly the 12th and below are slightly out of alignment.

favp8g.jpg

qqzh4z.jpg

On the back of the guitar the holes drilled for the bolts that connect the neck to the body seem to have been drilled/machined poorly, there are several chips around the holes. Directly below this on the on the relief carve under the cutaway there are some pretty obvious scratches from rough sanding that look to have never been finish sanded out.

2uoqh4l.jpg

6592j7.jpg

The wiring is very clean and well done-but the cavity cover sticks up about 2mm above the routed area-also the cavity cover seems just slightly misshaped.

vz7nmo.jpg

162z6b.jpg

There is a pretty big (1mm) gap on the left side of the neck pocket-also the area on each side of the neck where the body transitions to the neck the cuts on the body are just a bit rough.

25rz32t.jpg

b5p6w2.jpg

In conclusion I was disappointed with the finish flaws. I am aware that this was a Black Friday sale and as such the price was quite a bit lower that what they usually quote, but for $1350.00 + shipping I was expecting at least the same quality I see from mass produced guitars built in the USA.

Even with what I perceive to be cosmetic flaws- the guitar feels extremely solid, plays well and sounds INCREDIBLE.

This is the only Acacia that I've actually held and seen up close- and the flaws I have seen may not be indicative of flaws on anyone else's build

Specs:
Mahogany Body
Curly Maple Top
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Hipshot Bridge and tuners
25 1/2 inch Scale
24 SS Frets
EMG 57/66 pickups

Sorry for the phone pics-it's all I've got.

:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
With those flaws I would ask for a refund if I was you. That just looks like amateur building to me, especially for $1300. :2c:
However if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Congrats on the new axe first off. It looks great! :) The issues you mention are disturbing and you are right to expect at least mass production quality from a custom job. Have you contacted them about this?

Tristoner7

Reaction score
HNGD man, I'm sorry to read about the problems...Looks like they just lost my business for a custom Cronus 7 I was planning.

NoahFett

Reaction score
I have sent them an email about the flaws in the guitar, I haven't heard back from them as of tonight.

I hoping that there is something that can be done.

I REALLY wanted to like this guitar-but as good as it sounds there really is no excuse for poor craftsmanship.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Acacia guitars look really nice, from a distance.

I guess I'll check them out again in a year or so. Hopefully they'll improve by then.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
I can tolerate everything except that neck pocket. Dude, send it back.

Edit:
Just took a second look at the neck pocket. I'm just amazed that the entire pocket is too wide the whole way around. There's literally only full body contact on the back of the neck. How does this pass QC? Why is it not even a straight, clean route? There's 3-5mm of space between the bottom end of the neck/fretboard end and it looks like the neck wood want even finish sanded.

Noah, you don't have to but I would be interested in seeing the whole neck pocket with the neck detached.

Doombreed

Reaction score
First off HNGD and I'm glad the guitar sounds great!

The finish flaws are indeed a bit worrying and I am glad you are doing something about it.

My BF guitar should be arriving early next week and I've been hoping to heck that it's going to arrive without any such finishing problems. It's just not worth me sending it back if it does...

I'd appreciate a pm with the outcome of your mail to the Acacia gents if it's alright by you.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
What are those gaps under the frets? I see it on a lot of 1K+ acoustics

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
oof. The drilled neck joint holes, I can deal with that. But poorly aligned frets and a gap that huge in the neck pocket is unacceptable. Definitely ask for a refund man. I sure as hell would

knagy0325

Reaction score
How could they let this ship? You can`t find flaws like these on cheaper mass produced guitars.
Send it back. I`m curious how they respond.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
for 1350 bucks I know plenty of guitars with similar specs that wouldn't have any of these flaws and which wouldn't take 9 months to order.

That being said, HNGD anyway :)

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I've seen this with a few Acacias now, its a super purdy guitar but is full of minor flaws.

I would ask for a refund with the number of 'small flaws' on it, I can understand a couple little knicks but that axe is riddled with em. Don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to send this guitar out.

Despite that HNGD, I mean if it plays well and sounds good I guess thats something quite positive!

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
What a bummer that so many of these small builders are turning out flawed instruments. How do these guys sleep at night?

Chasethebreather

Reaction score
As someone else said... These things looks good from a distance. Up close though, it's as if every guitar I've see from them was their first build. They never seem to learn from their mistakes. Most certainly will NEVER be buying one.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
man, those frets slots, especially on this pic(this pic pretty much tells the full story):

b5p6w2.jpg

are really bad. So is the neck pocket. I agree, I'd send it back and ask for a refund. That's gotta suck after waiting that long, man. I feel for you.

beevare

Reaction score
HNGD!!!
cool guitar, im waiting on a quote for an architect myself. it'll be my first custom build and i was hoping for perfection...unfortunately, this may push me towards BlackWater

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Yikes! I'm glad I bailed on getting an Acacia. Those are worse flaws than some of the beginning builds in the Luthier section.

C-PIG

Reaction score
that things looks horrible with all those flaws

Latest posts

')