NGD (almost) Strandberg EGS#8 Complete!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
Is that neck profiled by hand? Looks a bit uneven in the middle there but just enough to add some personality. Very curious to try that neck profile sometime.. anyways VERY amazing looking guitar Tosin can't wait to hear it!

sell2792

Reaction score
That's fuckin' sick dude. I'm diggin' headless guitars more and more lately, and this made me even more!

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I guess you decided to keep the extended scale on the 2 bottom strings? I know you weren't into it at first.

Also - how bummed is Ibanez? haha :lol::realmad:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks fun, I would love to get my hands on one of those trapezoidal necks and give it a go.

that neck makes alot of sense. I wonder why it isnt more popular.

Because guitarists on the whole, hate innovation and rebel from it while wanting everything the old way.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh sweet! Never noticed that before
This will give a "24-fret sound" on the bass strings and a "22-fret sound" on the treble strings and a more Tele-ish sound on the bridge. I'm curious how well that works for what Tosin wants.

I'm leaning towards a reverse slant neck (24-fret treble & 22-fret bass) pick-up and a regular slant bridge on the "frugal fanned" build I expect to start in July.

Ray

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
I've carved necks similar to that, although rounded, not as angular. Love the off-center carve, for more than 6 strings it's the most comfortable carve ever.

demigod

Reaction score
Exceptionally beautifull. I actually saw the guitar on .Strandberg's website wondering who it belonged to hehe.

kslespaul

Reaction score
Can someone explain the reason for the trapezoidal neck/ the benefits of it?
My understanding of it is that the thumb likes to rest on flat planes, a concept that trapezoidal necks take to the extreme. They are supposed to be extremely comfortable playing in either a classical hand position or a "pinch grip" position. In my experiences with putting them on instruments that i have built they are VERY comfortable in 7+ string necks but on sixes they make it slightly more difficult to move my thumbs position than a standard rounded neck. This could be just how I make them though, Ive never had the honor to play a Rick Toone guitar. Hope this helps a little, though :wavey:

kslespaul

Reaction score
Can someone explain the reason for the trapezoidal neck/ the benefits of it?
My understanding of it is that the thumb likes to rest on flat planes, a concept that trapezoidal necks take to the extreme. They are supposed to be extremely comfortable playing in either a classical hand position or a "pinch grip" position. In my experiences with putting them on instruments that i have built they are VERY comfortable in 7+ string necks but on sixes they make it slightly more difficult to move my thumbs position than a standard rounded neck. This could be just how I make them though, Ive never had the honor to play a Rick Toone guitar.

')