NGD! Any doom metallers out there?

• Thread starter goldsteinat0r
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Another doom fan here! I prefer to play 7s, though, so finding doom-aesthetic-appropriate guitars is a bit of a challenge. You can't doom on a pointy superstrat, man. =) Currently rocking an Epi MKH sig with SD passives, among other things.

Yeah thats really true. I like the idea of cranking down a six string for this stuff. It just feels right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
Yeah thats really true. I like the idea of cranking down a six string for this stuff. It just feels right.

What I'm finding that I really like is to change my tuning. Instead of tuning to E standard with a low B (BEADGBE), I'm tuning to B standard with a high E (BEADF#BE). Same overall range, but it suggests different chord forms that seem to reinforce the B tonality better, and you get the option to extend chords and melodies upwards to the high E string. Bonus: you can play tunes from Pelican and other bands that tune sixes in B standard easily - their interval structures and use of open strings sometimes doesn't translate easily (or at all!) to a BEADGBE-tuned 7.

Reaction score
Good luck! I don't see them around that much for this cheap. I don't run any pedals. Right now I use a 100w Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 as my home rig and the main rig for this band. It was cheap, its light, its loud, it sounds decent, and I don't have to cart around my stupid heavy 5150 which is what I use for my main band. Eventually I'll be getting a larger rig just for this project when its a little more established.

Thanks very much! It plays really nice. I have 12-52s on it right now with a wound 3rd and it feels good. Action is totally decent and it intonates fine in Drop B. Thinking about going to 13-62s, but that might be a bit much.

I have 13-65s on my Gibson LP special. Play in standard B and drop A. Its not too much. It f'ing ROARS!!! Actually it may be 062 Instead of .065 I don't remember

Also I have small hands. But the grip of the strings is just feel right

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Cool beans! iirc I was never able to tune down to B on my LP because there was not enough room on the bridge to adjust intonation.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
The more I look at those pics, the more I really need a nice LP. It really was a great acquisition :hbang:

on a side note:
Another doom fan here! I prefer to play 7s, though, so finding doom-aesthetic-appropriate guitars is a bit of a challenge. You can't doom on a pointy superstrat, man. =) Currently rocking an Epi MKH sig with SD passives, among other things.

How are you digging the shorter scale on that MKH 7? I thought about that guitar at one point but at the time I seriously didn't want to play anything below a 25" scale. Now I guess I'm open to anything that'll play well. I've never had the opportunity to try one in person though. No MKH models at the dealers in my area.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
How are you digging the shorter scale on that MKH 7? I thought about that guitar at one point but at the time I seriously didn't want to play anything below a 25" scale. Now I guess I'm open to anything that'll play well. I've never had the opportunity to try one in person though. No MKH models at the dealers in my area.

I'm not the guy you quoted, but I do have one of the MKH's, and I rather like it. The shorter than average scale doesn't really hinder much of anything, and I've gotten perfectly acceptable tones out of the stock strings tuned down a whole step. The EMG's might want to be done away with though since they're not everyone's thing, but I rather like them personally.

On topic, for $100 that's a damn good find. I always enjoy finding decent gear for cheap. Not my preferred genre, but the demo you recorded was cool shit. Sounds like $100 very well spent.

celticelk

Reaction score

I love it, but then I'm an LP fan from way back - my first "good" electric was an Epi LP purchased new in '95. I bought it from an eBay dealer, so I didn't have the opportunity to try it out either, but I was really pleased when I got my hands on it. Felt great, looked great, played like butter (for me, anyway - I'm not a technique-heavy player). All it needed was a passive pickup conversion, which fortunately was easy now that soapbar-sized passives are available from several sources.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Excellent. You've both convinced me and it is once again on my list of future considerations for new gear. :yesway:

celticelk

Reaction score
Sweet! I'm hoping to take some pics of mine with the Pegasus/Sentient installed this weekend, as one or two other users have asked for them.

OP, sorry for 'jacking your thread! Doom on, bro.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Sweet! I'm hoping to take some pics of mine with the Pegasus/Sentient installed this weekend, as one or two other users have asked for them.

OP, sorry for 'jacking your thread! Doom on, bro.

I feel partially responsible for it, but if it's any consolation to the OP, I've listened to that demo track he posted about 10 ten times and I really dig the track. Like, I'm genuinely a bit jealous that I didn't write that, being as simple and groovy as it is. :hbang:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So, I'm really jonesin for an Edwards SG, thinking it would be great for some doom metal. But it's kinda short scale for a guitar. All these bands playing super downtuned stuff like Sleep, aren't they rocking gibson and other short-scale type stuff? Why do they do that? When you play so slow and distorted string tension doesn't matter? Does it help the doomy sound to have a shorter scale? Is there any reason that it wouldn't be better to buy a baritone guitar?

danresn

Reaction score
There is something about les paul shaped guitars that go so well doom/sludge music

Crimsonghost

Reaction score
I just started a doom project also. It's a blast. I'm running an epi LP custom in drop A# 13-62 with emgs. Tuning is rock solid, but the stings are petty light for my tastes.

Anyway, hngd op!

infernalservice

Reaction score
My current project is sort of blackened doom. Like a more evil neurosis. I use 7 strings tuned to B standard but with an F# instead of a g. low to high it goes BEADF#BE. When we first started I was using a 6 string tuned to b standard so it made sence to keep that tuning plus the high e.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
So, I'm really jonesin for an Edwards SG, thinking it would be great for some doom metal. But it's kinda short scale for a guitar. All these bands playing super downtuned stuff like Sleep, aren't they rocking gibson and other short-scale type stuff? Why do they do that? When you play so slow and distorted string tension doesn't matter? Does it help the doomy sound to have a shorter scale? Is there any reason that it wouldn't be better to buy a baritone guitar?

I think the shorter scale "bunches up" the harmonics on any given string, so for the lower tunings it sounds fuzzier, more compressed, more "slab"-ish when combined with lower tunings and big strings.

I was using a fender strat with some ridiculously huge sounding pickups in it before getting this guitar and it just didn't sound right in the context of this music. Too much "snap" because of the scale, not enough of that "mushy" quality.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
There's definitely a distinct 'wompy' tone from a sub-25" scale when tuned down. It's got this almost fluid nature to it and it's not as sharp and piercing as that of a standard Fender Strat/Tele. Of course, it all really just depends on the tension of your strings. You can easily get a pretty damn close effect with light gauge strings on any scale, though never exact because the length (regardless of the tension) does in fact somehow play a part. In my opinion, Scale is simply a matter of comfort and how comfortable you are fretting on longer or shorter necks. I'm looking into a Jaguar soon to add some short-scale groove to my Doom set.

EDIT: OP, please link me to your doom band's page some time when you get a chance!

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I forgot how big SSO was on doom metal.

I've been building a guitar specifically for doom metal, she should be done soonish I hope.

Nice score OP :shred:

')