NGD! Any doom metallers out there?

• Thread starter goldsteinat0r
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
There's definitely a distinct 'wompy' tone from a sub-25" scale when tuned down. It's got this almost fluid nature to it and it's not as sharp and piercing as that of a standard Fender Strat/Tele. Of course, it all really just depends on the tension of your strings. You can easily get a pretty damn close effect with light gauge strings on any scale, though never exact because the length (regardless of the tension) does in fact somehow play a part. In my opinion, Scale is simply a matter of comfort and how comfortable you are fretting on longer or shorter necks. I'm looking into a Jaguar soon to add some short-scale groove to my Doom set.

EDIT: OP, please link me to your doom band's page some time when you get a chance!

Agreed! Something about a 62 gauge cranked down on a 24.75" scale just fkn growls. Love it!

Here's the page: https://www.facebook.com/godstowfl

No music up yet but the page and band are both BRAND new. We have a few tunes already so we'll probably be putting up some demos fairly soon. Thanks for your interest guys! Surprises me how popular doom is on this board!

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Godstow has been liked on FB! looking forward to checking out what you guys put up. It's always great to see fellow doom folks from the SoFla area. Hopefully I can get back to writing for my Negative Spaceship project soon and maybe get around to making a page for it.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Godstow has been liked on FB! looking forward to checking out what you guys put up. It's always great to see fellow doom folks from the SoFla area. Hopefully I can get back to writing for my Negative Spaceship project soon and maybe get around to making a page for it.

Thats a cool name. There's another doom outfit around here that does stuff sporadically called Center Mass. I feel like the name is super important. lol

smeat

Here's to the ages
Reaction score
Very nice!

I'm a bit odd, as I enjoy using my Thinline Tele for that doomy/sludgy stuff. I'm generally inspired the most by stuff like True Widow.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Just threw up a new demo which is below. Just a framework, but I officially love recording with this guitar. It has bari strings on it now and I think now its just right feel and tone-wise.

Warning - sludgy shit beyond here lies:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/gldstn2/sledge[/SC]

Ethenmar

slow and low
Reaction score
Another doomster here! I played keys in Evadne in their last album. Now in a funeral doom idea.

Your project sounds great! Melodies like first Saturnus and good rhythms.

Congrats.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man!
A 12 for the high C# has WAY more tension than 52 for a low B, strange string tensions there:lol: A 52 for the low B on a 24.75 inch scale is darn light tension, that's for sure.
If you're happy with 12-52, stick with that, but at least upping the gauge on the low B to a 56 or 59 will increase the playability a bit (while perhaps dropping the gauge slightly on the high strings for lotsa string bending if you're into doing doom-y/stoner/sludge solos) and keep shit in tune, but if need be, it's still light enough in tension that you can do the 'bowwwwwwww' slighty out of tune thing if you hit it super hard.

If nothing is wrong with your guitar, you shouldn't have any worries trying to intonate a 59 24.75 inch scale. Beyond that,62 and upwards, you might run into trouble with some guitars (I know some people have had to flip the bridge backwards on LP-style guitars to get it to intonate properly)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice!

I'm a bit odd, as I enjoy using my Thinline Tele for that doomy/sludgy stuff. I'm generally inspired the most by stuff like True Widow.

Maybe it's not the ultra traditionalist view, but it's not odd at all IMO, I'm also in the camp that prefers a 25.5 inch scale for doom/sludge/stoner/post-metal stuff. Aaron Turner is one of the more well known players that come to mind that likes a 25.5 inch scale (Teles and Tele-based guitars generally) for doom/sludge.
Matt M Weed from Rosetta recently switched from a Les Paul to a custom made 27.7 inch scale guitar

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Congrats man!
A 12 for the high C# has WAY more tension than 52 for a low B, strange string tensions there:lol: A 52 for the low B on a 24.75 inch scale is darn light tension, that's for sure.
If you're happy with 12-52, stick with that, but at least upping the gauge on the low B to a 56 or 59 will increase the playability a bit (while perhaps dropping the gauge slightly on the high strings for lotsa string bending if you're into doing doom-y/stoner/sludge solos) and keep shit in tune, but if need be, it's still light enough in tension that you can do the 'bowwwwwwww' slighty out of tune thing if you hit it super hard.

If nothing is wrong with your guitar, you shouldn't have any worries trying to intonate a 59 24.75 inch scale. Beyond that,62 and upwards, you might run into trouble with some guitars (I know some people have had to flip the bridge backwards on LP-style guitars to get it to intonate properly)

I just put some bari strings on it (13-62 D'Addario Set) and its much better. Action is even pretty decent. The low string has some serious growl and the tension feels right. The 12 set was indeed too light but it was interesting to mess with for a little while.

')