NGD: Aviator Predator 7

• Thread starter Xykhron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xykhron

Reaction score
Hi people, here I am again with a new guitar day thread. This time is for a guitar that I ordered directly from a small but very efficient workshop in Czech Republic, called Aviator Guitars.

I heard about Aviator Guitars in 2018, and that year, in June, I obtained my first Aviator Predator 7 by a secondhand purchase. The guitar was comfortable, with good sound, great finish and Evertune bridge, but it had a construction issue and the weight was too much for me in that time, so I ended selling it after making a review. That review was read by Aviator team. They apologize for that guitar because was one of their first builds and after it they improved a lot their skills, so the offered me to sent me another guitar to try and make a new review. The guitar was perfect and also was my second approach to this brand, that left on my an itch to own an Aviator again in the future.

In October 2021, Aviator announced a Predator Run, with some basic but trusted specs and I jumped in immediately. The deadline was like 6 months from run orders closure, in May. The specs for the guitar were:

- two pieces swamp ash body / no top

- bolt-on 5-piece maple/walnut neck, with streaked ebony fingerboard, stainless steel frets and 26.22" (666 mm) scale length

- Predator body shape. Fury headstock shape

- Hipshot fixed bridge and Hipshot locking tuners

- Instrumental SFTY-4 pickups

- 1 push-pull volume & 3-way toggle switch.

- Schaller S-Locks for the strap

- Glow in the dark dot side markers and curve dots fretboard markers

- Graphite nut

- Nut width: 48 mm

- Body thickness: 35 mm

- Neck profile: 19 mm at 1st fret. Modern C shaped.

- Antique Black stain finish

- Aviator case

IMG20220531184353.jpg

IMG20220531184154.jpg

After receiving the mockup, I changed my mind about the finish and decided to go with less darker color, so I asked Jan, the master luthier & CEO of Aviator, to make it antique brown, based on a cool picture I had from a Ran Crusher guitar I liked very much. He agreed and the process began.

In November the first update, then in February, march and in May the last ones. The run was completed in May, as scheduled and 9 guitars were built.

I received mine 30th May. I was expecting a workhorse, with simple specs and look and what I got exceeded my expectations.

First thing: full color card box with Aviator logo. Yes, it is a card box, a container and what matters is inside, but it is cool.

Second thing: the hardcase. A super-solid and robust hardcase with a metal plate with Aviator logo bolted. A rubber protected handle like Warwicks pro-flightcases and form fitted for the guitar with soft pads. Super-pro hardcase.

The main thing: the guitar. First inspection confirmed my second experience with Aviator: a solid flawless build. Super light weighted and all clean, with no visual defects. My hands couldn't find what my eyes couldn't see: perfect fret edges, no tool marks, all smooth as it supposed to be a high end guitar, but this is something that not with all brands/builds happens.

So, that was the time to plug-in the guitar to my Axe FX. I tuned the guitar and played some riffs....but the sound was awful. Then I noticed the neck had no relief. I look for the Allen keys to adjust truss rod but there were no keys, they forgot to include but after writing them, they will send it along with a pickup selector, because they discovered that the ones they used had a little problem (the selector interrupts sound if flips slowly, but if you move it fast it works fine), so even before receiving the guitar, they told they will send a new selector.

I tested some Allen keys and one from other guitar fitted the truss rod nut, so I adjusted it, plugged it again into the Axe-Fx and boom!, problem solved. The guitar sounded fantastic, with a lot of punch, good fat mids and nice treble. I started to play when I stopped, realize that it was one hour later than when I started and I enjoyed that time lapse so much.

IMG20220531184409.jpg

IMG20220531184422.jpg

I am very used to high end guitars. I currently own 40 guitars, all high-end or boutique (Mayones, Skervesen, Aristides, custom Ormsby, Rusti, Vik, Suhr, Carvin, etc) so when I play a guitar my honeymoon period is soooo short and I can fairly judge them. This guitar is not the best I own, but worths every cent I paid for it....and more. Despite having a simple look with no fancy ads like binding, cool finish, exotic woods or even top wood, sounds and plays as good as other that costed me double than this.

Things that I don't like of the guitar:

- the truss rod cover. I'm sorry but I don't like it at all...too large and narrow (for fitting the brand name). For me it looks better without it, but for this post purpose I left it on the guitar just for the photo shooting.

- the size of the markers: They have a cool minimalistic aesthetic, but they are more difficult to see in poor lighting environments than bigger ones.

- the fretboard extension before the nut. Well, I don't really "don't like" it, but looks weird to me.

What I love on this guitar:

- The sound: exactly the sound I like...full and deep with good bass and not sharp top end, without being muddy.

- The body color: they nailed what I wanted. Nothing more to say.

- The weight: 2,8 kilograms. It is fantastic!

- The fretboard aesthetics: oh, man, those streaks looks awesome to me. Someone would rather prefer all-black ebony but I find the streaks more enjoyable to look at the grain.

- Neck joint: just a word: perfect. The plain neck joint area doesn't protrude over the body heel as for example like in Kiesel Aries, bolt-on Ormsbys or even my Suhrs.

- Brand business: I ordered custom guitars that came with problems in electronics, and even major faults, but except one build, none of them offered a replacement for a part even before receiving the guitar and claim for it. Also, the hardcase is far beyond my expectations on a run with limited specs like this.

- The smell: yeah, the smell...I still can notice the trail of wood dust. It is subtle but I have a good nose ;-)

So, the final score for this guitar is 9/10. I am very happy with the guitar and very pleased to be part of the run that put 9 awesome guitars out in the wild.

IMG20220531184534.jpg

IMG20220531184607.jpg

IMG20220531184601.jpg

IMG20220531184416.jpg

IMG20220531184241.jpg

IMG20220530220253.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
That looks sweet, I have a build in process with them and if that one turns out as hoped, I already have a very similar Predator 7 in mind too.

Enjoy the NGD!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
HNGD! I enjoy my Blackbird 6 quite a bit, but there definitely were some small things that made me consider selling it. Two years later though, I've learned to love its flaws and I'm overall very happy with it. If I had the money, I'd consider getting a 7 or another 6 from them. It was very nice to work with them and they were very responsive.

Ross82

Reaction score
HNGD! I enjoy my Blackbird 6 quite a bit, but there definitely were some small things that made me consider selling it. Two years later though, I've learned to love its flaws and I'm overall very happy with it. If I had the money, I'd consider getting a 7 or another 6 from them. It was very nice to work with them and they were very responsive.

Just curious, what issues did you have and what was the production year?

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thing is sick . Good call on the antique wood . Glad to hear Aviator is good on customer service . The industry for guitars and related products like parts is swamped right now with back orders and labor issues , so I feel like some of the issues you mentioned are out of there control , like the electronics .

This sounds silly , but I've always wondered if headstocks that cutout can ever bend or warp over time with tension . Probably not , especially on the lower strings , but I'm curious if that's ever happened haha .

I wonder if these guys make bass guitars . I'll have to look into them .

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Just curious, what issues did you have and what was the production year?
Sorry for the late reply, not sure how I missed this. It's a 2019, delivered in June of 2020.

For me it was mostly personal issues. Really the only actual issues I've had were losing a couple letters of the Aviator logo (although I've since reached out and they offered to send another), it came with a loose volume pot (which they sent me a new one to replace), they forgot to originally send the trem bar (they sent it out with the volume pot), and for some reason the truss rod is weirdly stiff. Like I'm afraid I'm going to snap the neck every time I need to adjust it.

Other than that, everything has been personal. The neck profile is an odd one to me. It's a persistent 19mm across the full neck, and not enough shoulder to it. It can get a bit uncomfortable to play certain things. This alone made me almost sell it a year ago. The pickups cannot be replaced. I get this is rather normal for custom guitars, but the routes are exactly 1:1 with the pickups. I cannot change out the single coil BKP Cobra neck for absolutely anything because it uses a custom sizing that no other single fits into. The pickup routes have screw bushings which are really clean, but one of them came loose and I have not been able to get it back in. Tried glue, but it didn't work. So my bridge pick up is missing one screw. Lastly, the hipshot bridge is not full floating. Doesn't bother too much, but when I bought it, I was completely under the impression the trem floated, but it rests on the body. No foam or anything to protect the body. So I don't use it at all, not worth it.

All in all, I've learned to love everything about it, including its flaws. Funny enough, I do love the pickups now a days and I'm not sure I'd change them if I could. I did reach out last year about them building me a new neck which they offered at a pretty decent price, but then I figured the guitar wouldn't be the same anymore so I didn't go through with it.

If anyone has any Aviator questions, feel free to let me know.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If anyone has any Aviator questions, feel free to let me know.
Think a custom bass is worth 10k CAD ? Cost I spec'd out ended up being 7500 before conversion . I did some research since my last comment and really like what I've seen and heard from people , but not too many actual audio samples or videos . How would you rate it compared to other high end guitars or basses , but not custom ?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Think a custom bass is worth 10k CAD ? Cost I spec'd out ended up being 7500 before conversion . I did some research since my last comment and really like what I've seen and heard from people , but not too many actual audio samples or videos . How would you rate it compared to other high end guitars or basses , but not custom ?
I definitely can't answer the question about it being worth it to you as that's really dependent on the person ordering. Personally? I'm not sure I could spend that much on a custom from a relatively unknown brand, but I bet the bass would come out sick.

Again, comparing is one of those things that's rather personal and very tough to convey over a forum. With that said, I've owned Aristides, Mayones, EBMM, Kiesel, Blackat, Strictly7, etc. and I can say that the Aviator absolutely holds it's own with that list.

Playability and quality has to be in between Blackat and Mayones. The quality truly can be compared to that of a Mayones, but I'd say Mayones is just ever so slightly nicer. I remember getting my Duvel 7 and genuinely being afraid to play it, it was almost too "museum piece" like. While Aviator does have amazing attention to detail, I'd say Mayones provides just about ~10% more to that area. I also feel like that is reflected in the price between the two though.

It's a tough say, but I truly think Aviator is up there with the other giants and when comparing the prices to those other companies, I feel that is reflected in the quality of the product.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Albake21

Thanks for the good response . What's nice about them is that you have so much customization , down to custom inlays and even coats . They do nitro cellulose coatings which is rare . That's something I'd want , so it ages with me . I feel like that's a big justification . I've never played that boutique stuff like you mentioned but I'll keep it in mind . I really like what I've seen from Aviator . I like rooting for the underdogs , and I've been disappointed in some big name high end brands , so I don't have much worry with smaller ones ; I'd actually think they might even be better due to having more time and wanting to make a name for themselves .

Anyone have 10k lying around ? Haha . Thanks to the OG post too for showing me new stuff !

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
HNGD, mate! Enjoy your new axe. 2.8kg is insanely light for a sevenstring.

olejason

Reaction score

Wow for that amount I'd be looking at Fodera, Ken Smith, Marleaux, Adamovic, Bordwell, custom Mayones, etc. Seems like a lot for a relatively unknown brand and a brand not known for putting out basses.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD!!!

No clue how I have missed an Aviator post...

Glad to hear that you like it. I almost jumped on the same run but decided to go the custom route again.
Personally I prefer my Aviator to my Mayones and Ran (I actually sold my custom Regius 6 to fund another Aviator build) and if my second build comes out like the first I will be a very happy man!

Enjoy your beautiful new axe!

Kovah

Reaction score
Congrats on the NGD!

I own the 6 string black limba from that run. I agree on the fretboard extending beyond the nut looking weird but I couldn't be happier with how the build turned out. Already got ideas for 2 customs :D

')