NGD: Back to my EBMM roots!

• Thread starter Jonathan20022
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Just got this beauty in, it's been a bit since I had a JP7 in the arsenal. Been lacking in the ERG range and saw an opportunity to grab this guitar. I had a Monarchy 7 late last year and this somehow feels nicer than that guitar, it might just be the extra wait and lack of paint on the neck but I really dig this guitar. Green isn't usually my color but it goes between teal and green pretty well and is a nice color in person.

42906928341_c30d5c1916_b.jpg

41096703190_ca1bff8c02_b.jpg.

29034617918_871f9d13dc_b.jpg

42006130195_1b8a86c82b_b.jpg

28038157457_dbb2970e3e_b.jpg

28038159757_f38045d255_b.jpg

28038167767_1996c4c7d3_b.jpg

28038175727_3bab636f92_b.jpg

42006152255_47fa472616_b.jpg

The neck and top are super nicely figured, the neck moreso but man they've been murdering it with these flame necks. But yeah they're still making insanely well built guitars, EBMM will always be a brand I love as time goes on.

Illuminators are cool but I would have liked to have the Sonic Ecstacy pickups like the Majesty Monarchy has, those sound a lot better to my ears. And the boost is mostly useless when it's set to higher than 10db, makes all my distortion go to mush but is a nice boost when set lower for a small bit of extra distortion or to give your cleans a tad bit of dirt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
That thing looks fantastic, considering the poor lighting!! ;)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Nice! Love a flame top and flame maple neck.

I much prefer these to the majesty's!

It's hard for me to pick, but I'd love to have a Majesty 7 again. But this guitar is definitely no slouch, thanks man!

That's one gorgeous guitar! Happy NGD!

Thanks Fred! I'm really digging the overall spec they made for these, down to the gloss finish which I'm more partial to!

That top! :holy:
Have fun with it!
After going back from a Majesty, how do you like the bolt-on neck? Playability wise?

I find with time that I'm becoming way less picky about specs, so honestly I don't feel like the bolt is worse in any way. I can reach the highest fret just fine without anything in the way so can't complain!

DAMN you got a good neck on that one!!!

Haha thanks dude, I agree I compared it to my flamed roasted Stingray bass and it's a lot nicer.

Nice! Love those EBMM JPs!
This one is no exception
Congrats!
How would you compare the Illuminators to CL/LF pickups?

Thanks man! I honestly haven't played a Crunchlab in what seems like years so I don't think I could make a fair assessment. The Illuminators are solid though!

That thing looks fantastic, considering the poor lighting!! ;)

Kind of silly I need to explain this, but there's nothing "poor" about the lighting. You take shots later in the afternoon and things get darker, and if I just "boost the exposure lul" it's going to cause grain and make the photo look less sharp and take a picture and make it look terrible. All things considered, I'm happy with the shots so I'll be keeping them as is ;)

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Congrats! that's my dream guitar right there!!!!

one question: if you do not use the boost function, will the passive (un-boosted) signal go through when there's no battery in the guitar?
I believe I read somewhere that the battery is even needed when the boost function is not in use, but I'm not 100% sure.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Congrats! that's my dream guitar right there!!!!

one question: if you do not use the boost function, will the passive (un-boosted) signal go through when there's no battery in the guitar?
I believe I read somewhere that the battery is even needed when the boost function is not in use, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah unfortunately every model from the 13 onwards features an active circuit. So unless you have a battery in it will not turn on and produce sound. I wish it was the opposite, but the battery tends to last awhile so long as you don't have it plugged in constantly. The boost is useful at a lower db setting, and for specific sounds IMO but I tend to not use it whenever I get a modern JP.

The solution is to gut the guitar and rewire it how you would a normal guitar but you end up losing the functionality with the Piezo. I'm not sure how much it differs from the older JP's, but EBMM has a pcb attached to the trem block that handles the Piezo saddles I have to see if that's similar or not. But even then if EBMM has any proprietary components they won't sell you those parts to convert the guitar from active -> passive while separating the Piezo to the 2nd jack and powered by the Battery Pack.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
I have the Piezo in my JP7s and I like having the option, but when not using it I can just take the battery out and the PUs will still work, which I like, so I don't depend on the battery unles I want to use the piezo.

')