NGD: Balaguer Andy Williams Signature Enigma Standard (Calling All ETID Fans!)

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
This AW Enigma was the first signature model offered by Balaguer for Andy Williams of metalcore legends Every Time I Die.

I originally received this guitar sometime back in the first quarter of 2020.

IMG-E3592.jpg

Specs:
• Body wood: mahogany
• Body finish: gloss peach pink
• Scale length: 648mm (25.5")
• Neck construction: set-neck
• Neck wood: maple
• Neck profile: Balaguer's "Comfy C"
• Neck finish: satin/matte
• Fretboard wood: ebony
• Fretboard radius: 406mm (16")
• Fret number: 22
• Fretwire: medium-jumbo
• Pickups: Balaguer Gorillabucker (bridge) and Balaguer Thunderlips (neck)
• Controls: 3-way pickup selector blade, volume knob
• Bridge: Tune-o-matic bridge with stoptail piece
• Tuners: Non-branded locking tuners (18:1 ratio)

IMG-E3593.jpg

IMG-E3601.jpg

IMG-E3615.jpg

Are you an ETIDiot?

Do you wish that you were inducted into the Buffalo Music Hall of Fame?

Does the idea of ruination make you want to raise a glass in toast while in good company?

Do you want to just have a good ol' time with a heavy slab of wood that you can use to channel some slammin’, chaotic, energetic riffs?

If you answered yes to any (or all) of the above, then this is the guitar for you!

IMG-E3606.jpg

IMG-E3594.jpg

Only 20 of these pink AW Signature Enigma Standards were made, as confirmed by an employee at Balaguer.

There were also 20 of the AW Signature Enigma Selects made, which was a slightly higher-tier version (+$300 upcharge) that came in a gloss seafoam green finish with a roasted maple neck, roasted maple fretboard, and a tortoise shell pickguard.

Despite being a pretty hardcore ETID fan for a while, the Enigma body shape actually took some time to grow on me before I received the opportunity to purchase this pink AW Enigma Standard. After gradually coming around, I began to appreciate that the Enigma body shape was something different than what we're usually used to seeing in the market nowadays. Pretty cool that it was based on an old Guild design from the 1970s. The second signature model that Balaguer offered Andy (his signature AW Toro) hasn't appealed to me at all in the same way. Maybe because the Toro model looks just like any other bland, generic, off-the-shelf Superstrat.

IMG-E3607.jpg

IMG-E3609.jpg

IMG-E3610.jpg

IMG-E3612.jpg

IMG-E3613.jpg

Let's discuss some qualms that I had with the guitar that led to me selling it several months ago.

First and foremost, Balaguer's "Comfy C" neck profile is a somewhat beefy neck profile. Balaguer's site lists the neck's measurements as .800″ at the 1st fret and .880″ at 12th fret; however, to me, the neck felt thicker in my hands. (This is just subjective personal observation.)

The white binding all along the fretboard and the headstock is a very cheap binding material that yellowed rapidly. I purchased the guitar secondhand barely 3-4 months after the model was initially released into the market; and by the time that I received the guitar, the binding was already very, very yellowed in some spots.

The particular slab of ebony that was used for the fretboard of this guitar was really dark and solid in color; but after a few months, it seemed to dry out at a much quicker rate compared to the fretboards of my other guitars (not just my other guitars with ebony fretboards, but with any type of fretboard wood).

If you are a physically smaller/shorter individual, the upper horn of the Enigma body shape will dig into your chest while playing, regardless of whether you are sitting or standing.

IMG-E3595.jpg

"When in Rome, we shall do as the Romans. When in Hell, we do shots at the bar."

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate that its different but wasnt running out to buy one.

Gimme his black lpc that Jordan may now have (used it to track new bands album among other guitars).

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Gimme his black lpc that Jordan may now have (used it to track new bands album among other guitars).
Andy still has that old, black Les Paul from the 1970s as far as I’m aware. (I think it was from the 70s? Gonna have to check that statement.) That guitar has always been his #1 axe.

I think Jordan’s new band traveled out to NY to track at the same studio where ETID tracked their last album or last two albums. So, Jordan and Andy probably organized a rendezvous to hand-off some guitars/gear (since Andy is still in the Buffalo metro area, near the studio) once Jordan landed in from Arizona.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Do you still have his first act custom shop guitar? What did you think of that one compared to this?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I dont see the lpc ever going anywhere. Pretty sure Andy may leave it at the jamspace/airbnb too maybe.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Do you still have his first act custom shop guitar? What did you think of that one compared to this?
You do realize that you're asking me to compare a Chinese-made, mass manufactured guitar (albeit made in a smaller run with only 20 units being produced) to a one-off, handmade, custom shop build with exclusive options that came out of a small shop in the USA that was specifically known for the shop's quality and options at the time of the shop's existence.

It's extremely futile to try to compare the two when they have absolutely not a single thing in common.

Reaction score
I can't get into much of ETID's shit past Ebolarma but that shape is really cool, too bad it isn't the seafoam green version!

Always enjoy your write-ups on the weirder guitars

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
You do realize that you're asking me to compare a Chinese-made, mass manufactured guitar (albeit made in a smaller run with only 20 units being produced) to a one-off, handmade, custom shop build with exclusive options that came out of a small shop in the USA that was specifically known for the shop's quality and options at the time of the shop's existence.

It's extremely futile to try to compare the two when they have absolutely not a single thing in common.

I mean shit bro I just wanted to know if there was a similar feel between them or if the neck was completely changed/the pickups sound wildly different.

Not trying to make some point or judgement on the quality either way, I just thought his FACS was one of the coolest guitars ever made and wanted to see if there was some radical change from how he spec'd that one out to this one.

Reaction score
I can't get into much of ETID's shit past Ebolarma but that shape is really cool, too bad it isn't the seafoam green version!

Always enjoy your write-ups on the weirder guitars
Ebolarama* off Hot Damn (which is the album) holy shit it has been that long since I have listened to them lol

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
Not a fan of the guitar but will always support awesome Andy and my ETID boys. Andy and Jordan are two of the kindest guitarists I’ve ever met at shows, no idea how they remember so many people but they always seemed to know everyone there other than the first timers

Latest posts

')