NGD: Bernie Rico Jr Jekyll 727

• Thread starter Rhoadkiller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Happy NGD dude! That guitar reminds me of my favorite rico of all time:
bg_8string.jpg

But I think your guitar takes the cake!

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Can you tell me what the point of the angled neck pup is? Or at least why it's angled the way it is?

Looks killer though, but not helping my GAS.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Can you tell me what the point of the angled neck pup is? Or at least why it's angled the way it is?

I can't tell you the exact reason, but Bernie cuts the fretboard at an angle on the 27 fretters, so the pickup is angled against that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Looks killer though, but not helping my GAS.

He does it to avoid having the neck pup hit the cutout of the lower horn. If he straightened the pickup he couldn't get the cutout as deep, which would reduce upper fret access. Plus it looks cool! :lol:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
He does it to avoid having the neck pup hit the cutout of the lower horn. If he straightened the pickup he couldn't get the cutout as deep, which would reduce upper fret access. Plus it looks cool! :lol:

Shit, that's really smart!
If I didn't have another reason to love his luthiering skills!

Rhoadkiller

Reaction score
Dude..that is epically ORGASMIC! Can you give us the specs on it?

Here you go MAN!

Jekyll slim line 727
Macassar Ebony fretboard
quilted maple top
mahogany wings
maple neck
27 frets
26 3/16
super shredder neck profile (it is sooooo comfortable and super thin!)
cl/lq dimarzios
hipshot bridge and tuners
oiled back and sides
ultra cutaway for EXTREME ACCESS lol
I think thats about it ..
Thanks for all the comments guys! I will be posting a small video of what it sounds like within the next few hours :hbang:

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Bump, just saw your little vid. sounds good. I like the tasteful playing, nothing overly fancy but nice and catchy.

So now that you've had some time with it, how's the guitar treating you? Give us that Review . :)

Every time I see a "NGD BRJ" thread I want to sell off more guitars and get another BRJ built.

They are such a joy to play.

VILARIKA

Reaction score
Dig the Racecar vid, the guitar seems to suit the style really well. I'm also interested in a review of the guitar now!

Rhoadkiller

Reaction score
Alright guys So here is the review!

Fist of all I would like to say that HOLY S***! playability wise, and tonally it's by far the best instrument I have picked up to date. This thing has soooo much sustain its awesome the notes ring forever. It never goes out of tune, rarely do I have to tune one string even after picking the shit out of it. I am blown away on how awesome this thing is and just after a short 2 weeks of having it I have decided to sell all my other guitars and order .. one MORE :D Bernie you are the man!

The neck: Super Shredder profile.( A bit thinner than the shredder profile for those of you that have a Rico with a shredder neck.)
It is incredibly smooth, I have no clue what the width or thickness is nor do I have the calipers to check BUT one thing is for sure best neck profile I have ever played. Super super comfortable I cant really describe it until you play with one but it feels like the neck holds your hand ahah not the other way around lol. The 26 3/16 " scale is barely noticeable I adjusted to the neck in matter of minutes. The 27 fret option is pretty cool lol you get a ton of access to reach all of the frets with ease so no problem there. Comparing this to my old Cow 7 neck and my old rg7620... those 2 necks come nothing close to how comfortable this neck is.

Tone:
This thing has an incredible ring to it makes it seem like its an acoustic haha. It has sustain for DAYYYS .. The guitar is bright but not overly bright and has a very nice low end to it. This thing is the perfect metal guitar tonally! My Ibanez I have now sounds dead compared to this. Idk if it being oiled had something to do with it but Bernie mentioned something about how oiled guitars resonate better because of the lack of paint and clear coating. Idk if I'm sold on the Dimarzio LQ CL pick ups but they sound alright, they lack low end response and tightness(not saying they aren't good, just saying not as good as BPKs :D).. But all that will change when I throw in some aftermaths in this baby.

Looks:
Absolutely gorgeous... the attention to detail is beyond superb. There is nothing wrong with this guitar and I think the pictures speak for themselves.I am in love with his work, which is why I'll stick with using BRJ's the best quality instruments out there! I have been privileged to own one of these masterpieces.... Once you Go RICO you never go back... TRUST ME! So go acquire yourself a one of a kind instrument, don't hesitate it will be worth the wait and every penny!

.. Here is my short review.. hopefully helpful, and hopefully it answers some questions....IF not Pm me aha I'll answer whatever I can for you. Sorry for the shitty review, I wrote it all with my phone :l

And for those of you whom haven't seen it here is a quick clip of me playing it.. Ill be adding more vids and pics within the next few weeks.. Im working on a Fellsilent cover for now so ill post a vid when I get a chance to.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
they are amazing aren't they.
I can't get enough of mine, I wish I had more of them as my BRJ gets about 95% of my playtime now.

Pascal-Darrell

Reaction score
Idk if I'm sold on the Dimarzio LQ CL pick ups but they sound alright, they lack low end response and tightness(not saying they aren't good, just saying not as good as BPKs :D).. But all that will change when I throw in some aftermaths in this baby.

Hey man,

my BRJ will have the same woods as yours except for a normal ebony fretboard.
I ordered a set of aftermaths and let Tim from BKP send them direct to Bernie.

Could you tell me how your Rico sounds with the aftermaths installed ?
I figured that the guitar will sound pretty bright and the aftermaths seems to be also bright ( if I´m wrong please correct me)

Could the combination of both be possibly too bright ?

Would be really great if you have some info and accordingly experience you could share with me or even us :)

Rhoadkiller

Reaction score
Idk if I'm sold on the Dimarzio LQ CL pick ups but they sound alright, they lack low end response and tightness(not saying they aren't good, just saying not as good as BPKs :D).. But all that will change when I throw in some aftermaths in this baby.

Hey man,

my BRJ will have the same woods as yours except for a normal ebony fretboard.
I ordered a set of aftermaths and let Tim from BKP send them direct to Bernie.

Could you tell me how your Rico sounds with the aftermaths installed ?
I figured that the guitar will sound pretty bright and the aftermaths seems to be also bright ( if I´m wrong please correct me)

Could the combination of both be possibly too bright ?

Would be really great if you have some info and accordingly experience you could share with me or even us :)
Mishas has a rico with similar woods as mine and I believe he put aftermaths in it, you could possibly send him a pm and ask him i haven't bought the aftermaths yet. I have played with them in an rg 1527 and damn did it sound good not bright at all just very articulate(you can seriously hear every not ring out its awesome), once I do get them and install them in the guitar I'll write a review on em. Hope this helps some what haha:hbang:

Pascal-Darrell

Reaction score
Mishas has a rico with similar woods as mine and I believe he put aftermaths in it, you could possibly send him a pm and ask him i haven't bought the aftermaths yet. I have played with them in an rg 1527 and damn did it sound good not bright at all just very articulate(you can seriously hear every not ring out its awesome), once I do get them and install them in the guitar I'll write a review on em. Hope this helps some what haha:hbang:

Oh yeah, I checked Mishas guitar out, indeed same woods and aftermaths. And I love Misha´s sound :D so I think it was a good choice :)

Thank you ;) will read your review also when you post it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')