NGD - Bernie Rico JR Tera No.1

• Thread starter Guy Corbin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Corbin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Before I get into this, I am fully aware of the shit that BRJ did to it's customers as well as the general piece of shit that BRJ was, however this doesn't mean that every guitar to bear his mark is a pile of dogshit (though, i've heard from plenty of people who got some dogs, mainly from the black friday run if they got them at all.)
However, when a well known BC Rich and BRJ collector contacted me in regards to this, I couldn't refuse the opportunity.
This is a Bernie Rico JR Tera, only two of these were ever built, both of them being a special dealer exclusive for the now Defunct Epic Guitars in Australia.
The other was blue flame top with a hardtail and that is serial number 00002 while this one is the only one with a floyd and is serial number 00001.
specs are:
TERA - 627 number 1

Trans Green with Black burst.

Top- Enhanced with black stain

Neck Thru Rico family construction

Top & headstock- Quilted

Neck- Mahogany

Body Wings - Mahogany

Frets - 27

Scale - 25 1/2

Fretboard - Ebony

Fretboard Radius- 20"

Fretwire - Dunlop 6100

Inlays - hand grenade

Bridge - Floyd Rose Original

Tuners- Grover mini's

Pickup's - Dimarzio, PAF & Super distortion

Hardware Color - Black

Electronics - 1vol, 3way, Preamp

B Logo - Abalone

despite all the bad reputation of some of BRJs builds, this honestly is a great guitar, it's by no means perfect but it is definitely a very special and inspirational instrument.

Pros:
It sustains fantastically, the neck despite being a gloss finish is incredibly fast, the neck profile fits my hand incredibly well, it is similar to my ESP LTD Eclipse neck by being Thin C/U but still having some meat to it, love the rarity factor and the aesthetics, having the 27 frets is a nice addition and the preamp is wonderful for adding musical feedback and sustain to leads, it also holds it's tuning very well and sounds great even though i'm not usually a fan of the Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Cons:
It is not as comfortable as my X Shaped instruments such as my RAN Marilyn Copy or my Jackson USA WR1, the shim underneath the locking nut is a little unsightly, there is a tiny bit of orange peel on the finish on the inside of the lower horns where the direction of the body changes, the pickups while sounding amazing in E Standard they don't handle down tuning very well and the preamp housing is just hotglued to the inside of the control cavity
5A40812F-7A8D-489C-B475-EB96CEFA8BFF.JPG
8AE5178D-74BE-4759-9549-C01761D801C6.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG
6090C8DC-3E13-4F0D-AD7C-2B8E5E65B0CA.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I get why it's done, but I always hated the super slanted neck pickup aesthetically. Also, it took me embarrassingly long to realize that the 24th fret had a grenade pin and not a magnifying glass. I do really like the finish, however. The lower half where all the knobs n' stuff are is a really pretty piece of quilt. How does it balance on a strap? It's an interesting bc rich-esq take on the explorer shape, but that's an interesting place for a strap button. I'm having trouble imagining how it'd feel using a strap.

Just googled up the blue flame one, and I have to say that even though the green is pretty, I kinda wish THIS was the blue one. lol I love me some blue and I love me some quilt. Mix this with that one and you've got a damn sexy extreme explorer shaped guitar.

Guy Corbin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get why it's done, but I always hated the super slanted neck pickup aesthetically. Also, it took me embarrassingly long to realize that the 24th fret had a grenade pin and not a magnifying glass. I do really like the finish, however. The lower half where all the knobs n' stuff are is a really pretty piece of quilt. How does it balance on a strap? It's an interesting bc rich-esq take on the explorer shape, but that's an interesting place for a strap button. I'm having trouble imagining how it'd feel using a strap.

Just googled up the blue flame one, and I have to say that even though the green is pretty, I kinda wish THIS was the blue one. lol I love me some blue and I love me some quilt. Mix this with that one and you've got a damn sexy extreme explorer shaped guitar.
It has a little bit of dive but nowhere near as bad as other extreme guitars I’ve played (Ibanez Xiphos, in particular.)

Weedly

Alley-Oop
Reaction score
Damn sweet axe. The inlays are pretty awesome. Definitely got some value as a collector's piece. BRJ made some quality builds before he lost his mind. Is it missing a knob?

Guy Corbin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn sweet axe. The inlays are pretty awesome. Definitely got some value as a collector's piece. BRJ made some quality builds before he lost his mind. Is it missing a knob?
No it’s one Volume, a 3 way toggle and Mini toggle for the preamp.

Weedly

Alley-Oop
Reaction score
Mmm-hmm, gotcha. Those boost circuits are serious business, eh? Not like a pedal boost? More like an overall, full tone boost?

Latest posts

')