NGD: better late than never to the Agile party

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
(finally figured out how to post pics on here that don't break within 24 hours, thx for nothing imgur)

Top of the morning gents, so after about 6 years of putting it off I finally pulled the trigger back in late December and bought an Agile as a bday treat to myself :woot:

I'm now the happy owner of an Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG Oveanburst Flame Bound guitar (it certainly is a mouthful).

Before I ramble on, here are the pictures from day one's unboxing, enjoy!

Notice how the box came with very very minimal damage, that's pretty good considering it got shipped from New Haven all the way across to Vancouver. A coupla drops of bird shit but hey i'm stoked, it adds character.

Peek-a-boo :drool:

My only gripe is little things I noticed in the finish around the edges like this here but that's just being anal for a $500 guitar.

So I've had it for about 2-3 weeks now and I seriously wish I got this guitar six years ago! Here are my impressions so far on the whole experience:

[>> props to Rhondo Music, my guitar got shipped the next day and arrived on time with zero delays. Considering the time of the year when I put in the order, i was impressed.

[>> guitar came well packaged, I decided to grab a case just in...erm :squint:... case... it got a bumpy ride across N. America. I'm ordering another one in a few months, I honestly don't think the case was necessary, especially if you live in the states. It was only slightly out of tune out of the box, but it did need better intonation on the A and G strings though I felt.

[>> holy shite what a fast neck... I thought my premium 7 ibby wizard neck was decent but wow. My hands have not moved this fast on a 7 or 8 string in pretty much ever. The closest comparison I have is my MIJ 2010 Jackson RR5FR which has by far been the easiest to play on for years. Now I have both a 6 AND a 7 that feel great and allow me to play better. It's amazing how much getting a guitar that's more comfortable to your hands can make a difference. Or vice versa it seems. I'm picking it up everyday and writing more than I have in years, so I couldn't be happier.

[>> I quickly realized how much I sorely missed playing active pickups, the last time I played EMG's was probably 2005 and man it feels good to have that extra sizzle to my steak back again. SD and DM passives have been good to me over the years but I'm having just a hellacious time with these 707's :shred:

[>> the finish is gorgeous :wub:, I can't believe it gets sold for the price it does. Maybe 1 or 2 minor things a perfectionist would notice but taking everything into context, not really worth sweating the small stuff. Afterall it looks and plays great!

[>> Lastly, the weight. Agile said it's a lightweight mahogany body which my shoulders and neck are just thrilled about. I didn't realize it but it seems basswood bolt-ons like my ibbys tend to be heavier? Hmm good to know.

Here's a quick clip of me noodling around on some leads the other night just trying to get a feel for it.

A couple things to round off everything here:

1. Since our Canadian loonie has been slacking behind the USD for years now, all in with the case and standard shipping it ran me just under $1,200 CAD shipped and delivered. Which was a huge gamble to me since I've never played an Agile, well it played off big time. My MIJ Jackson ran me more than that, that's a quality guitar and I hold both to the same level. I guess this is a nod to S. Korean craftsmanship.

2. Wanted to say thx to all who posted their opinions on Agile over the years :yesway:, it's pretty much the only place with the most extensive info I've found on these guitars. And if you live in the states, I really don't see how you can skip on one of these since you'd be paying much less than we do.

3. I'm strongly considering selling my premium ibby 7 and my ibby 8. The Agile Legacy 27" scale 7 string I've got my eye on should be in stock within 3-5 months and I'm gonna nab one of those for the extended range and passive pickup option. And if Agile's 8-strings play as well as their 7's for the price asked, I'm pretty much setting ibanez aside.

4. All my guitars have FR bridges and i just don't mess around with the trem anymore. So since this one plays the best I'm taking it to my luthier today to discuss swapping in a fixed bridge. Since I'm already invested as much as I have, Evertune is definitely out. Hipshot though is looking interesting. Can anyone chime in on those?

At present it's my go-to guitar for writing and recording, sadly I haven't touched anything else since I got it but I'm gonna see how things fair out for the next 3-5 months at least. If the writing's on the wall I'm keeping my Jackson and selling my other ibby 7 and 8.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
So quick update, i think you guys might be interested. I went to my luthier yesterday about the fixed bridge swap and he talked me out of getting an evertune or a hipshot altogether (he's worked on both over the years) and instead keeping the Floyd Rose.

So rather than swapping out hardware he's going to insert a couple of small wood blocks in the back of the guitar to immobilize the springs from both ends. That way I achieve what I want but I still maintain the benefit of a locking nut and fine tuners, and it's not permanent.

He does really clean work (been my go-to for 16-17 years) so I'll post pics of the final result if anyone's interested.

Looks great, congrats!!!

Thanks! Looks better in person :fever:

Agile makes great guitars. well done!

Agreed, I didn't expect them to be better than my ibanez's which cost more. Not sure if their other models are good bangs for bucks.

Congrats!!! Agile puts out sone nice gear.

Thanks! Do you know if they are like this across the board? Other models I mean?

Agile rules. Congrats and welcome to the club!

Also, respect for the Jodorowsky quote in your sig. :cheers:

Cheers bud :cheers: I'm happy to be.

Glad you noticed it, many aren't familiar with him I found over the years. I love the perspective that particular quote gives me when I read it.

Congrats! It's a beauty!

I used to have a tele from Rondo. It was under $100 but was really good!

:agreed: Thank you! That's awesome, yeah they seem to be putting out good value for money so far. More so than some competing brands within the same specs and craftsmanship.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I was gonna suggest just blocking the trem. I only have one floyd guitar that's not blocked. I actually just shoved a bunch of dimes/pennies in between the block and body. Works like a charm. I sort of miss all of my Agile guitars. They have great necks, imo, and they're gorgeous. Their quilts/flames and the colors they use are just wonderful.

I miss the custom model I had years ago the most. Beautiful blue quilt, and a stupid long scale length.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! Do you know if they are like this across the board? Other models I mean?
Here’s my experience:
2008/2009ish - septor pro 727 black flame maple - awesome guitar, i sold it to fund other things, and still think about that guitar. It was spectacular,

2010-ish - intrepid 828 Darkburst - flawless. Stock pickups are amazing, action was great, just a great instrument. Can’t remember why i sold it, but i miss it.

2011 - intrepid 930 single hum natural - still jave this one, every time i think about selling i cancel my listing. It’s so damn nice, i’m just going to hang on to it even though it rarely gets played.

View media item 1211
I’ve had more (all were good!) but these i bought new and spent the most time with

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest just blocking the trem. I only have one floyd guitar that's not blocked. I actually just shoved a bunch of dimes/pennies in between the block and body. Works like a charm. I sort of miss all of my Agile guitars. They have great necks, imo, and they're gorgeous. Their quilts/flames and the colors they use are just wonderful.

I miss the custom model I had years ago the most. Beautiful blue quilt, and a stupid long scale length.

Thx :yesway: I ended up immobolizing the trem with two small blocks of wood, it stays in tune much better now.

Any pics of your custom? Why not get another one for yourself then if you really like them?

Here’s my experience:
2008/2009ish - septor pro 727 black flame maple - awesome guitar, i sold it to fund other things, and still think about that guitar. It was spectacular,

2010-ish - intrepid 828 Darkburst - flawless. Stock pickups are amazing, action was great, just a great instrument. Can’t remember why i sold it, but i miss it.

2011 - intrepid 930 single hum natural - still jave this one, every time i think about selling i cancel my listing. It’s so damn nice, i’m just going to hang on to it even though it rarely gets played.

View media item 1211
I’ve had more (all were good!) but these i bought new and spent the most time with

Nice! Thx for sharing your feedback. What's it like playing a 9-string? I'm guessing not too enjoyable if you're not playing it? Genuinely curious though.

Nice! I've owned some very high end guitars, and I still think Agile is the best value out there. That looks killer!

Cheers, yeah I agree. I just really like their neck's playability, every motion feels swift.

Very pretty! Glad you are enjoying it. What kind of FR is that beauty equipped with?

[Edit] Ah... It's a Special. Nice!

Glad you figured it out, I honestly would not have known that so thx for clearing that up ;)

Beautiful!! Congrats and HNGD man

Thx and yes I agree it's gaaawwgeous :wub:

That's a good idea. Someone should put fine tuners on fixed bridge guitars. HNGD - it's gorgeous.

Well credit goes to my luthier, he saved me a few hundred bucks on that suggestion. I did it and just playing it over the past month or more I see that tuning stability has a noticeable improvement. Slightly need to fine tune every now and then but over all I'd recommend it to anyone in the same boat.

Either way, I don't see a point now anymore in shelling out hundreds on a new fixed bridge + labour. This option seems to be working just as good. :shrug:

I'll post a closeup pic of the the block soon if anyone's interested.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! Thx for sharing your feedback. What's it like playing a 9-string? I'm guessing not too enjoyable if you're not playing it? Genuinely curious though.

Well, there were a couple things:
1) I employed terrible armature, and as a result playing became painful. I have since rectified this w/ my m80m :)
2)Somehow having that 9th string just sucked the creativity right out of me, and I never really hit my stride.
That being said, once I finish my current project I'm going to make another attempt to familiarize myself with my 930.

Latest posts

')