NGD: BlacKat Ninja 7 Custom Guitar + Review

• Thread starter ESP-Eddie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ESP-Eddie

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I have finally received my first custom Guitar 3 days ago.

It has been a wait of nearly 1 year, and now that i finally received it, i locked myself up in my room, avoiding any kind of social activities. :shred:

First a few words to BlacKat Guitars, it´s a company from Poland which makes custom Guitars in either a Super Telecaster or a Superstrat form with a lot of custom options and really great hardware.

Tom, the "Boss" of this company is a blast to talk to, always friendly and he really knows his shit, and even though it has taken a while, it was totally worth the wait.

To say the most important thing first...the guitar is a real blast. I know it sounds corny, but it´s not only because it´s my first custom guitar...but it definitely is the best guitar i ever had the honor of holding in my own hands, let alone owning. I never owned a custom guitar before, but i tested a few custom shop guitars in the past few years and i am just blown away by the worksmanship, the hardware, the sound and just the overall feel.

Without further ado, here are the specs:

Specs:

Blackat Ninja Fuenken MD-EX-7 Custom

FORM: SINGLE CAT
Guitar: 7 String
Body Wood Swamp Ash
Top Wood: None
Neck Wood: Standard Spec (5 Piece Maple/Mahogany)
Fretboard Wood: Ebony
Frets: Jumbo Frets Stainless Steel
Position Markers: Luminlays + Cat Paw at 24th Fret
Pick up Switch: 3 Way Switch
Controls: Volume Tone (Push Pull)
Bridge: Hipshot Hardtail
Tuners: Hipshot Griplock
Knobs: Hipshot O Rin
Strap Pins: Dunlop Strap Loks
Hardware Finish Black
Finish: Custom

Pickups: 2 x BKP Blackhawks

Guitar Neck Scale: 25,5 (non Baritone)

I´ll try to do a review of this guitar. I know that guitars are mostly personal preference but i will try to explain it the best I can:

Feel:

As you can see it is a sevenstring guitar with a non baritone "standard" scale so to speak. Many seven string fans might argue that this scale is too short, especially for Drop A, but in my opinion it just feels exactly right. I do indeed have a seven string with a "Baritone Scale" but the standard scale from my point of viel actually feels exactly right fo rme. I have small hands so especially in the lower frets it feels more comfortable for complex chords with rather long stretches and general playing and most importantly, bending feels unbelievably comfortable without feeling sloppy. And the Low B string feels pretty tight. From a technical perspective i cant tell you if its the string gauge or the Hipshot bridge or the general manufcaturing, or if it´s just me. The ebony fretboard feels comfortbale and for people like me who like to rest their palm on the guitar boday when picking most of the time it just feels plain fomfortable and the ash grain just has a really nice feel to it.

The balance on a strap is very good, very unlike the ESP Viper 7 strings for example so that is another plus. Subjectively speaking this guitar has a medium weight its neither too light nor too heavy.

Sound:

Another subject where personal opinions count but to me, the BKP Blackhawk pickups in combination with the swamp ash body just sound ....ing amazing. And I´m not here to start a discussion whether the wood has anything to do with the sound, i will just say in general that these pickups suit my taste.

In my opinion the Blackhawks are very versatile passive pickups, suited for many guitar styles, especially with the options (Coil Splitting for example) that the Guitarhas.

They react very good to changes in the volume and tone knob positions nd what i espacially like about them are the dynamics.

I compared them directly to Emgs and Seymour Duncans and the BKP Aftermath which my friend has gotten for his custom Blackat and they are just mindblowing. I know they have been advertised as the passive alternative to EMGS but to me they are much more than that. I know the term "better" when comparing pick ups is a very questionnable thing to say, but to me they are the most suiting pickups that i ever tested. They have this very "bubbly" and tight sound on the bridge pickup and a very creams sound on the neck pickup.

The bridge pick up is the ceramic variant of the Black Hawks and the neck pickup is the alnico variant.

It´s very hard to do them justice with just trying to explain them, i would like to encourage you guys to at least try them out.

I will do a guitar cover using my new custom in the near future for you guys to hear how they compete with other pickups.

Visuals:

Just stunning. I´ll let the pictures below do the talking but just a few words:

I chose this kind of visual style since i think it just suits to my personal visuals since i really enjoyed the looks of Mayones guitars i made the top very similar, combining it with the "Super Tele Shape" of Blackat Guitars, chosing swamp ash as my body wood.

What I also enjoy a lot is the black hardware and of course the luminlays which are a cool gimmick that i really enjoy.

Enough talking, here are some pics.

Any comments? Feel free guys

Otherwise...HAPPY NGD DAY TO ME

1017354_10152171253478320_1282275057_n.jpg

1779726_10152172127563320_133020018_n.jpg

1896933_10152200376003320_2084215408_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Looks like something you'd stick into a vampire to stop it's shenanigans.

Congrats on a nice one!

Vigaren

Reaction score
Looks amazing!!! Im GASing out sooooo hard!!!!! Waiting almost a year must have been a real challenge.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Looks like something you'd stick into a vampire to stop it's shenanigans.

Congrats on a nice one!

Ha! I never considered what vampires do to be 'shenanigans,' but I think you're right. C'mon, people, stop drinking blood already! That's so guache. I mean, have you tried sambucha? Practically the same thing without hemoglobin!

YES! This is a bloody nice guitar (see what I did there?) - i want to play it and then sleep with my arm around it :)

PS - we were talking about this on another thread, but I don't think we ever reached any conclusion. How in the world is that finish accomplished? What's it called? Do you have any idea how they do it and make it look all 3D like that?

ESP-Eddie

Reaction score
Here´s the official statement from the manufacturer:

1. Sandblasting
2. Put Black
3. Put red
4. Clean up red
5. Red stays in deeper parts
6. Have a beer

fps

Kit
Reaction score
That guitar looks so inspiring to play, amazing!!

DredFul

Maple fretboard enthusiast
Reaction score
She's a hot redhead!

By the way, is it just me or do the string gauges look kinda wierd near the bridge in the first picture? :lol:

')