NGD - Blue Crackle Ormsby Metal V7

techmetalshred

Reaction score
Hey gents, I picked up this Ormsby metal V 7 string a few months back. This guitar rips! I'm super hyped on it. It sounded good right out of the box in B-standard but it was a little buzz-y due to the minimal truss rod tension during shipping. I had my guitar tech set it up to drop G and it sounds excellent. A buddy of mine shot these pictures below.

I filmed a guitar playthrough with it for my band Earth Eater if you are interested as well:

I was pleasantly surprised with the pickups and also the neck profile. I found that it is very playable for all types of riffs and leads, and I prefer thin D type profile generally.

My only complain is actually with the 'Rhoads' style V cut; i'm 6'6 with pretty wide shoulders and I feel like its pretty small for me. I could definitely vibe on a bigger 'King V' style cut of this same guitar. Perhaps the 'X' they make would fit me better actually.

Here are the specs:

Body: Mahogany
Neck: Laminated Maple, set neck
Scale: 26.2"
Neck shape: 19.0 @ 1st - 21 @ 17th, D shape with round shoulders, aka "thin U"
Neck finish: Satin
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretwire: Jumbo Stainless Steel
Side dots: Luminlay
Hardware colour: Black
Bridge: FLoyd Rose 1000 series
Machineheads: Custom Ormsby locking tuners
Electronics: 500k Volume, 500k Tone with Push/Pull + 3 way toggle switch
Pickups: Bizzard Ceramic Bridge Humbucker, Concordia A5 Neck Humbucker
Case: included (moulded case)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 245
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 245

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dooky

Reaction score
Looks hella sick! I've wanted to get one of those. Only a couple left on Reverb and they'll probably be gone by the time I've saved up enough in my designated guitar fund :(

techmetalshred

Reaction score
Damn, that's the only Ormsby I've seen that has really drawn me in. Crackle finishes and "extreme" shapes just work so well together.

Congrats, dude!
Yeah this is actually the only model they make that I like, besides the 'X'. I would definitely like to try some other Ormsby models if I could get my hands on them but I dig the aesthetic of the V's and X's with the crackle finish. I don't really dig the white binding on the other models or the other shapes and whatnot.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
first off, that track is sick and you're a killer player. Big ups.

Second, i know what you mean. I'm not as tall as you, but I had a jackson rhoads and had a hard time getting a good grasp on it. Took a while to get used to playing it sitting down, which is how I usually play. Looks badass though. I had a HypeGTR for a minute and loved it.

HNGD!

p88

Reaction score
absolutely sick playing, and killer song! after seeing this, i don't really feel worthy of owning the 6 string version of this guitar in magenta/black crackle:flame:!

i think they pickups are good (at least on the 6 string version) - however i'll be upgrading them to brushed black chrome emg's. i'll also install a brass block and titanium saddle inserts just to see what that adds.

do you have any plans to swap out the pickups, or are you happy with the tone as it is?

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Hey gents, I picked up this Ormsby metal V 7 string a few months back. This guitar rips! I'm super hyped on it. It sounded good right out of the box in B-standard but it was a little buzz-y due to the minimal truss rod tension during shipping. I had my guitar tech set it up to drop G and it sounds excellent. A buddy of mine shot these pictures below.

I filmed a guitar playthrough with it for my band Earth Eater if you are interested as well:

I was pleasantly surprised with the pickups and also the neck profile. I found that it is very playable for all types of riffs and leads, and I prefer thin D type profile generally.

My only complain is actually with the 'Rhoads' style V cut; i'm 6'6 with pretty wide shoulders and I feel like its pretty small for me. I could definitely vibe on a bigger 'King V' style cut of this same guitar. Perhaps the 'X' they make would fit me better actually.

Here are the specs:

Body: Mahogany
Neck: Laminated Maple, set neck
Scale: 26.2"
Neck shape: 19.0 @ 1st - 21 @ 17th, D shape with round shoulders, aka "thin U"
Neck finish: Satin
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretwire: Jumbo Stainless Steel
Side dots: Luminlay
Hardware colour: Black
Bridge: FLoyd Rose 1000 series
Machineheads: Custom Ormsby locking tuners
Electronics: 500k Volume, 500k Tone with Push/Pull + 3 way toggle switch
Pickups: Bizzard Ceramic Bridge Humbucker, Concordia A5 Neck Humbucker
Case: included (moulded case)

The X models are probably better suited to you tbh. I'm only 6'0 but they pretty much stay where you put them while playing sitting (one of the biggest benefits to playing x/star shapes ime). Rhoads style Vs are way more finicky about staying put ime. The only issue I had with my metal X was that there was a fair bit of neck dive when playing standing, which was easily mitigated by adding weight to the ass end of the guitar, or just keeping my picking arm anchored on the body.

techmetalshred

Reaction score
first off, that track is sick and you're a killer player. Big ups.

Second, i know what you mean. I'm not as tall as you, but I had a jackson rhoads and had a hard time getting a good grasp on it. Took a while to get used to playing it sitting down, which is how I usually play. Looks badass though. I had a HypeGTR for a minute and loved it.

HNGD!
Thanks for listening man, I appreciate it. I should have mentioned about the V fit that I meant more aesthetically speaking that it looks small on me. It actually is super comfortable and the V shape allows for complete upper fret access; it has become my lead shredder for sure!

techmetalshred

Reaction score
absolutely sick playing, and killer song! after seeing this, i don't really feel worthy of owning the 6 string version of this guitar in magenta/black crackle:flame:!

i think they pickups are good (at least on the 6 string version) - however i'll be upgrading them to brushed black chrome emg's. i'll also install a brass block and titanium saddle inserts just to see what that adds.

do you have any plans to swap out the pickups, or are you happy with the tone as it is?
Glad you dig the playing man, thanks! I actually have been pretty hyped and pleasantly surprised by whatever the stock pickups are, and they are aggressive... At this point, I have guitars with a variety of pickups ranging from BKP Aftermaths, Duncan SH-6 (7 string), Elysian Hellfire 7s, and these Ormsbys. I play metal music with all of them but they are all in different guitars so it is hard to get a true comparison. I'm pretty convinced the majority of the tone comes from the hands anyways! I would recommend this guitar and pickups for sure though.

Reactions: p88

techmetalshred

Reaction score
The X models are probably better suited to you tbh. I'm only 6'0 but they pretty much stay where you put them while playing sitting (one of the biggest benefits to playing x/star shapes ime). Rhoads style Vs are way more finicky about staying put ime. The only issue I had with my metal X was that there was a fair bit of neck dive when playing standing, which was easily mitigated by adding weight to the ass end of the guitar, or just keeping my picking arm anchored on the body.
I appreciate the insight on that, I dig the X shapes for sure. This V does have super nice upper fret access for shredding leads though, so i'm hanging onto it for sure! I'll probably expand the collection eventually...

Amer Alameddine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Easily one of the coolest Ormsby guitars I've seen, so good to see it in action. Killer playing and those riffs are wild, you've lured me into following you guys on Spotify!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'm sorry but was your camera man dancing the entire time? Whats up with the camera angles just shaking and moving. Didnt really do it for me, the video angles, but the guitar work was great.

techmetalshred

Reaction score
Easily one of the coolest Ormsby guitars I've seen, so good to see it in action. Killer playing and those riffs are wild, you've lured me into following you guys on Spotify!
Glad you found us on there man! I actually did another playthrough a while back on my Jackson B8 if you are interested:

techmetalshred

Reaction score
I'm sorry but was your camera man dancing the entire time? Whats up with the camera angles just shaking and moving. Didnt really do it for me, the video angles, but the guitar work was great.
Thanks for listening, I appreciate the feedback on the video-

techmetalshred

Reaction score
I must have been in a pretty awful mood the other day when I posted that lol, while a bit all over the place, my comment is exaggerated. Great job.
No worries man, there were some other people that had similar feedback about not liking the bouncy camera work, it seems everyone has their own taste for guitar videos and whatnot

techmetalshred

Reaction score
Damn that's one fine ax! Good to see some the 8-string getting some love, hope you guys tour soon and swing by up north some time, would be cool to see these tunes live!
Sorry for the late response; Thanks man, and we will definitely try to make it up there sometime! Hope to get back to thrashing some shows in '22

Latest posts