NGD! Boomer-lite

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since I was but a lad flipping the pages of big music store catalogs, I have often thought to myself "man I'd love to have a Les Paul!"

I took quite a few detours on a count of fallen down the rabbit hole of S and near-S shaped objects for many years, but I've finally come home. Good people of SS.org, I present a guitar named Orville:

1000012606.jpg

1000012607.jpg

(One seller photo to show a bit of the subtle figuring of the top, hard to capture):
1000012609.jpg

An Orville LPS-75 (allegedly)!

For those who aren't familiar, back in the late 80s, Gibson sought out Yamano Gakki (music distributor/retailer) of Japan to have guitars made for the Japanese market (as far as I know, these weren't officially distributed outside Japan). There were the "Orville by Gibson" models which often came with some Gibson parts (such as the Bill Lawrence pickups Gibson was using in the late 80s), and then simply the "Orville" guitars, which were all Japanese parts (often Gotoh produced). There is some debate about the use of nitro finishes on the ObG guitars, I've seen claims that it was used on all of them but then there are clear examples where that wasn't the case. Most folks agree that the Orvilles were all poly (mine looks to be based on the way it dents and dings).

There were two different factories involved during the whole period, Terada and FujiGen. I think mine is what is referred to as a "K" series which, from best I can tell, would have been from earlier runs out of the Terada facility that were stored at the Kuramae warehouse facility. These had stickers instead of inked or stamped serial numbers (or perhaps none at all?). Mine either never had a serial or the sticker fell off long ago.

Specs (as best I can tell):
Mahogany body with full thickness maple top
Rosewood fingerboard
Japanese (Gotoh?) ABR1 style bridge and tailpiece
Japanese pickups (Gotoh?)
"Medium" tenon neck joint (looks like long tenon with the tongue cut off)

This thing is a player. Out of the box, the tuners were definitely worn out, but I had a spare set of Wilkinson tuners that fit the bill. After the new tuners, a tune and intonation, this thing is rocking. It's got short, wide frets that I thought I wouldn't like, but I can't stop playing this thing. My only real gripe is purely aesthetic - I don't like the looks of speed knobs. They work great, but there just too big and clunky for my tastes.

A few dings and the top of the headstock has the typical rough edges from wear. For what would have been a budget-friendly guitar that's over 30 years old, not so bad as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for reading! It's super cool to finally have what I consider to be a "proper" Les Paul.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Part of me would love a LP because Ace was the reason I picked up guitar in the first place, but the LP type guitars I have played just didn't appeal to me. The neck shape, weight, tuning instability, and other things just don't appeal to me. The one thing I'd like on a Strat or Superstrat style guitar is perhaps the 24.75" scale length, though that does make the neck pickups pretty scooped and muddy sounding a lot of the time.

Anyways, congrats on the guitar.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Part of me would love a LP because Ace was the reason I picked up guitar in the first place, but the LP type guitars I have played just didn't appeal to me. The neck shape, weight, tuning instability, and other things just don't appeal to me. The one thing I'd like on a Strat or Superstrat style guitar is perhaps the 24.75" scale length, though that does make the neck pickups pretty scooped and muddy sounding a lot of the time.

Anyways, congrats on the guitar.

The tuning thing seems somewhat guitar-specific - this one holds pretty well, but the Wilkinsons may be doing the lifting there.

I've only recently come back to Gibson type guitars - if you looked at my guitar stand everything else is pretty radically different from this LP and my SG. I started my SG a lot at church and it reminded me how different I play on these types of guitars.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! I love the top and the color, it looks great!

Have you tried the Ibanez sure grip knobs? I don't normally like speed knobs but frickin LOVE those.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe? Do they have the rubber strip around them?

Thanks btw, I've always liked the lemon drop look!
They do! I recently acquired an ARZIR27FB that has them and I absolutely love them. Way better than the old school speed knobs.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Since I was but a lad flipping the pages of big music store catalogs, I have often thought to myself "man I'd love to have a Les Paul!"

I took quite a few detours on a count of fallen down the rabbit hole of S and near-S shaped objects for many years, but I've finally come home. Good people of SS.org, I present a guitar named Orville:

View attachment 147890

View attachment 147891

(One seller photo to show a bit of the subtle figuring of the top, hard to capture):
View attachment 147892

An Orville LPS-75 (allegedly)!

For those who aren't familiar, back in the late 80s, Gibson sought out Yamano Gakki (music distributor/retailer) of Japan to have guitars made for the Japanese market (as far as I know, these weren't officially distributed outside Japan). There were the "Orville by Gibson" models which often came with some Gibson parts (such as the Bill Lawrence pickups Gibson was using in the late 80s), and then simply the "Orville" guitars, which were all Japanese parts (often Gotoh produced). There is some debate about the use of nitro finishes on the ObG guitars, I've seen claims that it was used on all of them but then there are clear examples where that wasn't the case. Most folks agree that the Orvilles were all poly (mine looks to be based on the way it dents and dings).

There were two different factories involved during the whole period, Terada and FujiGen. I think mine is what is referred to as a "K" series which, from best I can tell, would have been from earlier runs out of the Terada facility that were stored at the Kuramae warehouse facility. These had stickers instead of inked or stamped serial numbers (or perhaps none at all?). Mine either never had a serial or the sticker fell off long ago.

Specs (as best I can tell):
Mahogany body with full thickness maple top
Rosewood fingerboard
Japanese (Gotoh?) ABR1 style bridge and tailpiece
Japanese pickups (Gotoh?)
"Medium" tenon neck joint (looks like long tenon with the tongue cut off)

This thing is a player. Out of the box, the tuners were definitely worn out, but I had a spare set of Wilkinson tuners that fit the bill. After the new tuners, a tune and intonation, this thing is rocking. It's got short, wide frets that I thought I wouldn't like, but I can't stop playing this thing. My only real gripe is purely aesthetic - I don't like the looks of speed knobs. They work great, but there just too big and clunky for my tastes.

A few dings and the top of the headstock has the typical rough edges from wear. For what would have been a budget-friendly guitar that's over 30 years old, not so bad as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for reading! It's super cool to finally have what I consider to be a "proper" Les Paul.
Interestingly, this guitar may well be superior to its US-built Gibson contemporaries.

Nice axe - enjoy!

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
although I never had an Orville, that guitar makes we want to listen to Appetite for Destruction, from start to finish, whilst reading through the liner notes again and again.

HNGD.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interestingly, this guitar may well be superior to its US-built Gibson contemporaries.

Nice axe - enjoy!
I've often heard this and this example certainly seems to be well done! I think it's a bit more nuanced given some of the spec differences and parts quality, BUT the quality of the workmanship is definitely excellent compared to many modern Gibbos I've played anecdotally
although I never had an Orville, that guitar makes we want to listen to Appetite for Destruction, from start to finish, whilst reading through the liner notes again and again.

HNGD.

That was my thought when I saw it first too!

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
Congrats, haven’t played an Orville but most of the MIJ LP’s I’ve played have been as good as, if not better, than the Gibson LPs I’ve played

Have a MIJ Signature STR-1 and wouldn’t trade it for any other LP I’ve played

')