NGD Bowes SFLx 7 String

• Thread starter faceforward_007
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

faceforward_007

Land of Ice and Snow
Reaction score
Well... not really a NGD, about a month old now, but i've had some time to get to know this fine instrument, and can now give an accurate review:

Also posted in the Guitar Reviews section

BOWES SFLx 7-STRING

Features:

Construction: Set-neck @ 26" scale
Body: Figured European Ash
Neck: 5 Piece Maple / Purpleheart
Fingerboard: Figured Ziricote w/sapwood
Frets: 25 with half scallops from the 12th to the 25th
Pickups: Nordstrand Humbuckers (modeled off a Duncan Distortion)
Electronics: Vol/3-way switch
Bridge: Hipshot bridge, string thru-body
Tuners: Exposed Hipshot Tuners
Hardware: Black
Color: Natural with Tung Oil

Sound:

Been playing this for about a month now, really enjoy the passive Nordstrand humbuckers. Have BKP in all my guitars, but will leave the Nordstrands in this guitar. Well balanced, and they compliment the Ash body. A very equal tone throughout the lows, mids and highs.

Even unplugged, guitar resonates very well. Plugged into my amps, the Bowes can sing quite well. Very, very happy with the sound of this axe.

Action, Fit & Finish:

Guitar arrived with the strings de-tuned. Tuned up to standard 7 tuning, action was pretty much perfect for me. I usually have to play around with a factory set up to get it to my liking, as we all do i'm sure, but I have zero issues with the setup. Intonation was pretty much bang on, had to do a few minor tweaks, nothing out of the ordinary.

Really happy with the Tung oil finish, guitar has an awesome one piece figured ash body, and the Tung really brings out the figure and flame. Pictures, again, don't do this any justice.

Reliability/Durability:

Went over all joints, fretwork, etc, and have found minimal issues. Brian let me know that this was his first prototype, and informed me well ahead of time about any blemishes. Honestly, they are very few, and very insignificant.

Guitar seems to be built very well, I was really impressed with the construction of this guitar. Brian will be very busy in the near future, I can assure you. And I am really looking forward to watch his creations get better and better.

I really see no issues with this guitar, at all. Seems to be very reliable. Neck is stable, haven't had any warp, and I don't foresee future issues.

Customer Support:

Brian was a pleasure to work with, and deal with. I specified using stainless steel frets, which he tried to accommodate, but eventually played havoc on his tools, essentially ruining them. He constantly updated me with statuses about once a week via Facebook.

Honestly, I believe he is a luthier that truly enjoys his craft, I bought the guitar for next to nothing for the amount of time he put into building it. Throughout the process he reassured me that if I had any issue with the guitar, he would take it back and build another. To say Brian went above and beyond what was required to keep me informed is an understatement.

Overall Rating:

4/5 - Can't be perfect, there are a few cosmetic issues, which are very, very minor as mentioned. I'm really enjoying playing this guitar, very comfortable neck, scarf joint, and heel. The heel is really smooth, similar to a KxK, and access to all frets is simple. Sounds big and has clarity. Body is very thin, most likely around a Blackmachine (even though i've never played one) but is thinner then my KxK.

I really feel that Brian is going to accomplish a lot through Bowes in the future, and if he continues his builds and dedicates himself to the company, the sky's the limit.

a1.jpg

b1.jpg

c1.jpg

d1.jpg

e1.jpg

f1.jpg

g1.jpg

h1.jpg

i1.jpg

j1.jpg

k1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mellis

dude what
Reaction score
That is a stunning guitar in every aspect and the fact it's his first prototype says a lot about what's to come :metal: Plus that is possibly the cleanest/sexiest headstock shape in existence! It is safe to say I am jealous haha.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Tempted to put on ''Brianstorm'' by the Arctic Monkeys, cuz he does deserve ''Top Marks'' :p

Really nice axe. What are the small issues you spoke of?

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Looks awesome, definitely on my list of future custom candidates. :yesway:

ronjhoser

Reaction score
Really beautiful wood on display here. The neck joint, scarf and volute look smooth and comfortable. Sweet axe!

faceforward_007

Land of Ice and Snow
Reaction score
Really nice axe. What are the small issues you spoke of?

Just cosmetic, Brian gave me a heads up about one of the side dot indicators being off, etc, again very minor. Nothing that is noticeable (unless you really look hard), or affects the playability of the axe.

I would also like to note that he was a perfectionist with this guitar, he had an issue with the 15th fret being high, so instead of playing around with it, dressing and filing it down, he re-did all the fretwork. Also, Brian accidentally left tung oil on the fretboard, so he ended up spending a couple of days sanding it all off, and notified me ASAP. He advised that because some of the frets might have tung oil on them, if I was unhappy I'd send it back and he would redo the fretwork (again). Funny thing, when I got it, I didn't notice any residue.

Brian really did go above and beyond, he was completely honest with the entire build, kept me informed with any and all details. Rumor has it that he'll be doing a fanned fret in the future, should be awesome to see that run!

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
As if the wait for mine could get any harder :lol: Gorgeous guitar, I absolutely love it. :yesway:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
That guitar is just so slick!

It isn't too common that luthiers hit that perfect balance between classy and metal, but, damn, this is a total knock out. I can't stop staring at it!

kruneh

Reaction score
Such a clean build, and the headstock is pure WIN!
Gotta sort out a couple of things first, but Brian is definitely on my list!

Latest posts

')