NGD: Bubinga Ibby (expected too much?)

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
I realize this isn't the most expensive Ibanez ($999) and I'm use to playing Music Man Petrucci's exclusively so I didn't expect it to be on that level, but I kind of expected a thousand dollar guitar to not have these issues.
I kind of just got it to dink around on and maybe use as a backup. I got to try one out when The Acacia Strain was last in town and I really dug the neck profile on it. If I liked this one I was planning on getting one like Devin's (RGIX27FEQM) too.
It's beautiful for sure and I like how it feels, but the top of the fretboard looks like SHIT. It's scrapped up and some of the frets look pretty haphazardly glued. Also the gold hardware on the tuners looks like it's already tarnishing? I don't know if I should keep it or send it back. I had to buy a case for it too as for some reason Ibanez sends out these guitars in CARDBOARD BOXES.

Here's some pics- let me know what you think/would do:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ceiling_fan

Reaction score
That's a shame, I love how it looks from a few feet back. Send it back, those issues aren't acceptable on a $500 guitar, let alone 1000.

ProgMetalFiend

Jackson Jacksoff
Reaction score
That's a shame, I love how it looks from a few feet back. Send it back, those issues aren't acceptable on a $500 guitar, let alone 1000.
I agree! Send it back or at least try to get some money back from the dealer if you really like it and it doesn't affect the playability at all

trem licking

Reaction score
That's a sweet looking guitar but if you dont mind buying used and have the time/patience, I would totally buy a used prestige for around the same price or a little more... I have not personally played a prestige that wasn't perfectly built

C-Squared

Reaction score
Ouch. If it sounds and plays killer you might want to keep it, but I would send it back for a possible replacement. Ask the dealer to inspect the next one for these and any other issues prior to shipping it to you

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The QC on the Iron Labels is still all over the place. Even as a long time Ibanez player, I'd still never risk buying one unless I could play it first.

Send it back and get a used Prestige. Better guitars for cheaper.

Pascal-Darrell

Reaction score
That´s exactly the problem for me with these guitars. I like how they look, they have decent pickups and the neck is how I like it, but the built quality isn't that good, at least not for a 1000€ guitar

If they ever make a guitar with a real bubinga top, wenge neck and good build quality I´m right in.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
That's pretty crappy for a brand new $1000 guitar. Honestly man, I'd send it back for a refund and do what's already been mentioned. Get a used Prestige instead.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Christ, that's not even fretwork issues. it's just like someone took a knife to the fretboard wood itself. Send it back man, that's absolutely horrendous. Can't believe they're putting them out like this under the guise of it having a somewhat exotic top wood.

If you're still considering Ibanez, the RG752fx is a fantastic guitar in contrast to that. It's only 100$ more and you'd be getting the quality that Prestiges are known for.

They can't excuse the price bump from a regular Iron Label S just based on the aesthetics, that's insane.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
the frets end look as if they would slice your thumb up or something. it looks like someone was just having some fun with sandpaper. I'd send it back. if you reall like this perticular model get another one. maybe this one is just a lemon and then ext one is ok.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies. I got the guitar through Musicians Friend and they told me it was the last one they had in stock...so I can't even get another one. The rep gave me kind of a deal because we sat and bullshitted for a few minutes- not because it was damaged or used or anything, and they shipped it overnight for free. I got the Ibanez hardshell case for it ($120) so altogether it should've been about 1120, but I got it all for 950. I'm going to call her tomorrow and see what they can do. It sucks because it absolutely is a beautiful guitar, but I know those frets aren't going to last/stay put, so even if they were able to cut some ridiculous deal I don't know how worth it it's going to be.
I might see what they can do for me on a s5527qfx. I just don't like the Rosewood fretboard. Really wish it had Ebony.

Edika

Reaction score
You could try as an alternative a Schecter Banshee. They're quite Ibanesque in construction from what people have been saying and have an ebony fretboard and better QC.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
I got the 8 string version and posted a review here. Mine had the same fretwork issues. It badly needed a fret dress out of the box and had some other details that were clearly rushed through assembly.

The gold hardware will tarnish quickly/easily. That is just the nature of the materials that make up the gold hardware. Even some higher end hardware has the same issue. Usually the gold color wears off eventually and it turns more of a silver color(and looks crappy).

Once I dressed the frets and gave it a setup, mine plays and sounds great. It seems like they put a lot of effort into "fit" and very little into "finish".

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
If you're cool with the slightly longer scale and just want a decent quality hardtail 7, have you checked out the Schecter KM7? I absolutely love mine and the fretwork on mine was stellar (and stainless steel fretwire to boot!). You could get it cheaper than the Ibby and it's a substantially better build than any of the Iron Label stuff. My buddy got one and sent me pics of the frets on his and they were worse than yours. Max is spot-on, the QC on those is all over the place.

$1K for an Indonesian-built guitar with crappy fretwork is WAY too high, but to your point about the case, $1K doesn't guarantee you a hardshell case at all. It's actually pretty normal these days to buy a guitar made in Indonesia or Korea in that range and not receive a case. My KM7 was shipped in a double-carton carboard box too, not unusual whatsoever. :shrug: Would I appreciate it if a $1K guitar had a case? Totally, but I'm not expecting it anymore. :lol: Like I said, if you're good with the 26.5" scale and want a decent quality hardtail 7 string, the KM7 really impressed me (so much so that I'm planning to grab one of the lambo orange ones in 2015 when they drop as well). If you're a die-hard Ibby guy and have to get an Ibanez 7, I'd steer clear of the Iron Label stuff honestly, the QC has been fairly atrocious across the board with that line. :(

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Looks unacceptable to me, send it back or demand a partial refund. Sharp frets can be fixed and the scratches on the fretboard are less visible when you oil it. The tarnishing on the gold hardware, a shame...but Ive seen few guitars with gold hardware that doesnt tarnish.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely send it back. That thing is in unacceptable shape for what you paid. Even though you got somewhat of a deal. Definitely not cool.

weirdoku

Reaction score
Also with the people that says send it back. My £480 Iron Label also has fret work that's worse than my £260 RG. I didn't think much of it until later on so never sent it back. Wish I did now though.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
I would send it back. I also played Devin's and it felt amazing. He is one of the reasons I saved up for my RGD2127FX because his felt so nice after all of his touring. As far as this guitar goes, if you aren't happy send it back, save up for a prestige. As someone who has owned standard RGs, Iron Labels, and now a Prestige, the prestige is worth everything and more.

')