NGD: Bubinga Ibby (expected too much?)

• Thread starter SomeGuy97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
I would send it back. I also played Devin's and it felt amazing. He is one of the reasons I saved up for my RGD2127FX because his felt so nice after all of his touring. As far as this guitar goes, if you aren't happy send it back, save up for a prestige. As someone who has owned standard RGs, Iron Labels, and now a Prestige, the prestige is worth everything and more.

I called them today and I'm sending it back tomorrow. I'm getting an RGD7UC instead. I'm getting the same deal, so I think it was around 1785 altogether. I'm a little weary of the 26.5 scale, but ultimately I think it's going to be what's best for me- and since it comes stock with BK aftermath's I won't have to worry about doing any pickup swaps.

Sucks because I really loved that bubinga top.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rjg3000

Reaction score
I called them today and I'm sending it back tomorrow. I'm getting an RGD7UC instead. I'm getting the same deal, so I think it was around 1785 altogether. I'm a little weary of the 26.5 scale, but ultimately I think it's going to be what's best for me- and since it comes stock with BK aftermath's I won't have to worry about doing any pickup swaps.

Good to hear that! Those issues are definitely unacceptable.

I wouldn't worry about the 26.5" scale. I personally find baritone instruments only ever become a bit of an issue when it's past 27", and even then it's relatively easy to compensate for. Hope you enjoy the new guitar when you get it!

GunnarJames

Reaction score
I hear the same things about the Iron Label stuff. The one you received definitely shouldn't have left the factory like that. :nuts:

That being said, I have the 8 string version of the same guitar and with the exception of a black smudge on the side of the headstock, the guitar is excellent. Frets were/are great, not Prestige great, but no work needed.

Glad they took care of it for you! :yesway:

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score

If its any help, I would honestly just go with the RGD2127FX, it really is a better deal IMO. The premium for the ebony/BKPs is a little high imo. But hey man either way you are getting an amazing guitar. Hope things go better the second time around.

ferret

Reaction score
Love the wood and binding, as I always have on these. It's beautiful... But then you get closer...

dat fretboard... dem frets... dat tuner.... :(

All kinds of sad.

weirdoku

Reaction score
$1785 for that RGD? Here in the UK it costs £1700 ish, about $2700! UK sucks.

Durchfall

"Savory shreds"
Reaction score
$1785 for that RGD? Here in the UK it costs £1700 ish, about $2700! UK sucks.

Well he got a pretty damn good deal. They go for about 2100 $ here actually.

The only thing I don't dig about the RGD7UC is that for the price there is no tone knob, and not even coil tapping in lieu of that. I'm sure it's a great playing instrument but...for that price I would like some tonal options other than the 3 way.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Well he got a pretty damn good deal. They go for about 2100 $ here actually.

The only thing I don't dig about the RGD7UC is that for the price there is no tone knob, and not even coil tapping in lieu of that. I'm sure it's a great playing instrument but...for that price I would like some tonal options other than the 3 way.

Honestly, I love the idea of having only a volume knob. I've never had the pleasure, til tomorrow that is. Makes me less OCD- I would never not have the tone turned all the way up anyway.

As far as the price increase vs. the 2127 I think it's justified (at least in this case); I'm basically paying an extra $275 for BKPs (that I don't have to pay someone to install), I get the ebony fretboard I want, and no inlays. It will be here tomorrow and I should be able to do a NGD for it.

Durchfall

"Savory shreds"
Reaction score
Honestly, I love the idea of having only a volume knob. I've never had the pleasure, til tomorrow that is. Makes me less OCD- I would never not have the tone turned all the way up anyway.

As far as the price increase vs. the 2127 I think it's justified (at least in this case); I'm basically paying an extra $275 for BKPs (that I don't have to pay someone to install), I get the ebony fretboard I want, and no inlays. It will be here tomorrow and I should be able to do a NGD for it.

Well for certain solos especially clean stuff or jazz stuff I like to have the tone slighty turned down. I mean I understand the idea of the stripped down look, I just like having the option available to me if needed.

As far and BKPs hell yeah man I'll pay the xtra $ for that.

Negav

Reaction score
Having no tone knob is same as a tone knob on 0 right

Wouldn't it be on max since there is no interference in the signal? I'd guess that by having the tone knob at 0 you be reducing some frequencies in the signal (i.e. muffled/laid-back tone), and by having it at max you would have the pure tone.

Apollo240

Reaction score
Ohhhhhh ok. Thats what I used to think but then i thought maybe 0 was the same and none lol.

I was scared to ask before this thread haha.

That makes me wonder why I cant get the same sound as a uv on my apex 20 though...

')