NGD: Cancer's KXK Review (56k = not recommended...seriously)

• Thread starter Cancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That finish looks absolutely gorgeous, I love it! That's one of the coolest natural stains I've ever seen. However, those finish flaws are inexcusable. I'm glad he's willing to address it, but that should never happen on a custom guitar - or really any guitar.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That finish looks absolutely gorgeous, I love it! That's one of the coolest natural stains I've ever seen. However, those finish flaws are inexcusable. I'm glad he's willing to address it, but that should never happen on a custom guitar - or really any guitar.

So oil leaching out of the wood on an oil finish is inexcusable, but truss rod routes that look like they were done freehand with a power drill are ok in your book? :rolleyes:

I agree it should be fixed, which is happening, but come on now...

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
So oil leaching out of the wood on an oil finish is inexcusable, but truss rod routes that look like they were done freehand with a power drill are ok in your book? :rolleyes:

i dunno about you, but i saw the finished picture of the guitar with said truss rod route "issue", and the headstock looked just fine. the finished product is where it matters, not the in progress shot. if i showed all the crap that happens in progress on the guitars i worked on, i'd hope that no one was still whining about it when the finished product came along, as long as they are fixed before the guitar is fixed.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chill, Nick, Hauch, and Tecnho - try not to let your allegiances to one particular brand over another interfere with your ability to be civil with each other.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Im not upset dude. I merely stated that diplomacy works much better in situations like this.

...which is a lesson that cuts both ways, dude. Your tone left a bit to be desired in the diplomacy department.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chill, Nick, Hauch, and Tecnho - try not to let your allegiances to one particular brand over another interfere with your ability to be civil with each other.

Drew, I don't think I said anything in an uncivil manner did I? :) I said the guitar was gorgeous but just repeated what many other people have been saying about the flaws. I think some other people are the ones being a bit defensive IMO.

I second what Elysian said. Dude I have no desire to argue, but did you even see the final photos of that 8-string? That KxK looks absolutely stunning and beautiful - I said that. However the back of the neck and that stuff that looks like sand just really doesn't look right to me. So yes, finish flaws do bother me more than something no one will ever see beneath a truss rod cover. Call me crazy :wub:

PS: The truss rod routes are great on my 7s, not that I even give a damn. When I take off the truss rod cover, it's to make an adjustment, that's it. However, when a customer plans on having it exposed, BRJ makes sure it looks nice. But again, you were judging incomplete photos. The final ones on that 8 look alright :)

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
anyway...

How do the Blackouts sound in the KxK? I'm curious, because I may want to replace the Invaders in mine with them.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree. That finish looks so incredibly badass. I need to get something like that someday.

zombietime

Reaction score
Looks like KXK isn't making guitars at the moment. Anyone know if they're going to start up anytime soon?

Bobo

Reaction score
This site really fucks with your head. You see one totally fucking amazing custom that gives you the gas, then another comes along that just ups the ante. I think it's a conspiracy designed by all great custom shops to takes our monies :lol:

Awesome guitar dude :metal:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So....By telling somebody to chill out and that their comments were unnecessary left something to be desired the way of diplomacy? :rolleyes:
Makes me wonder how you might react to a REAL argument.

Telling someone to chill out is, in fact, Drew's JOB. In case you're not getting the point, I'll make it less ambiguous - throw out another comment like it (or this one to a mod), and enjoy a nap for a day or two. Got it?

This is the second time this has come up with you. Make it the last.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Great review, nice guitar, though i'm quite surprised to see the finish flaws and what looks like sanding/finish wipe marks on the neck heel.

Infused1

Reaction score
That thing is nice!

Although the finish is having some issues, I will come to Rob's defense. I have done stain and oil finishes for years, hundreds of pieces, wont go into the company. The biggest problems we had were with Black Cherry and Black. Wiped on finishes over stains can be a giant pain in the ass. In one light it will look perfect, in another you will see the sand paper marks. Its because of the stain. Its tricky also, if you sand with a higher grit than 220 and try and stain the wood, good luck getting it into the grains evenly especially with hard maple. I would say, let Rob fix the issue, and make sure to wax that thing yearly with Carnuba wax. Oil finishes need to be taken care of like fretboards do, just not as often. If this was all natural, without the stain, you wouldnt see it.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
So much Hostility in this thread - I think you chaps need to just shut up and check out the Scallop on that neck access...and those Sperzels...and that fretboard....and the simplicity of lack of Inlays.

')