NGD: Cancer's KXK Review (56k = not recommended...seriously)

• Thread starter Cancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
That thing is nice!

Although the finish is having some issues, I will come to Rob's defense. I have done stain and oil finishes for years, hundreds of pieces, wont go into the company. The biggest problems we had were with Black Cherry and Black. Wiped on finishes over stains can be a giant pain in the ass. In one light it will look perfect, in another you will see the sand paper marks. Its because of the stain. Its tricky also, if you sand with a higher grit than 220 and try and stain the wood, good luck getting it into the grains evenly especially with hard maple. I would say, let Rob fix the issue, and make sure to wax that thing yearly with Carnuba wax. Oil finishes need to be taken care of like fretboards do, just not as often. If this was all natural, without the stain, you wouldnt see it.

Thanks for that, I was actually just going to ask how to clean it :yesway:.

To answer a couple of questions: about the Blackouts vs the Invader. My Carvin 727 has as X2n7 which I believe is fairly similiar to the Invader. both of these pickups are EXTREMELY high output, so I would (and have, since I I've gotten the KXK) take that into account when I was listening to it. I would imagine comparing an Invader to a Blackout Bridge is like comparing a Invader to a Duncan Distortion (or something along those lines). Since I bought this guitar with the primary intention of using for studio stuff (and as a super cool birthday gift to myself....yay), I will probably leave them. The Blackouts definitely do not suck, but super-gonzo-ripyerheadoff pickups they are not.

That being said, if he DOES do another run, I think the next time I may go with a PAF/X2N7 combo, especially if the next ones come with Floyds.

The finish (insert your words of choice here) absolutely do not bother me, and the reason for that is because everything else about this guitar is just so stunning. I still have the box and will ship it back to Rob if he wants, but the level of workmanship on that is just ...stunning. I mean, I look at this and I think "a human being did this????" .....And little things just thrill me, like if you run your finger back and forth being the mahogany and maple, just feeling the grain change is just ...surreal. I am SO glad I didn't clearcoat it. Hopefully he will continue to offer this finish.

I mean picture this, this shape, with say a goth blue black stain and a cocobola fretboard would just be sick.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's a really nice guitar dude :yesway: I'd really recommend the PAF7 in the neck position of a KXK with a maple neck and mahogany wings. It's pretty much the perfect neck pickup for that wood combo, and coil split it gets a really nice single-ish tone. The DS7 pairs nicely with it as a bridge pickup too.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i really hope Rob doesn't do this standard. i never specified something as trivial as strap buttons. i would just replace them on my own if i didn't like them (i've grown quite partial to Schaller straplocks), i've never even noticed these recessed straplocks before, and i REALLY don't like them.

emails Rob... :wallbash:

I don't think he does. I got an e-mail when my guitar was nearing completion asknig what kind of straplocks I wanted.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
How is the Carnuba wax applied on a oil stain like this? Is it a solid that you wipe on, or a liquid? Thanks for bringing that up, I was just pondering the same question for when my KXK arrives.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
To answer a couple of questions: about the Blackouts vs the Invader. My Carvin 727 has as X2n7 which I believe is fairly similiar to the Invader. both of these pickups are EXTREMELY high output, so I would (and have, since I I've gotten the KXK) take that into account when I was listening to it. I would imagine comparing an Invader to a Blackout Bridge is like comparing a Invader to a Duncan Distortion (or something along those lines). Since I bought this guitar with the primary intention of using for studio stuff (and as a super cool birthday gift to myself....yay), I will probably leave them. The Blackouts definitely do not suck, but super-gonzo-ripyerheadoff pickups they are not.

That being said, if he DOES do another run, I think the next time I may go with a PAF/X2N7 combo, especially if the next ones come with Floyds.

My guitar really, really likes the Wolfetone rewound JB7. It absolutely makes the guitar come alive. We should hang out some weekend and compare notes.

D

Desecrated

So oil leaching out of the wood on an oil finish is inexcusable, but truss rod routes that look like they were done freehand with a power drill are ok in your book? :rolleyes:

I agree it should be fixed, which is happening, but come on now...

I agree on this a little bit, If it was halo who did such a mistake everybody would be ridding their ass (including me), but because a mod is endorsed by kxk everybody seems to be okay with him missing deadlines and small mistakes like this.

(halo's mistakes are phenomenal, the kxk mistake is something that I would probably not notice, but I'm just saying.)

I hope nobody takes this as a argument or an aggressive attack on anybody, I'm just pointing out something I noticed.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I have done all I can to NOT abuse my power as a mod to squash criticism of the brand. I have given people free rein to be as vocal as they want, since rushing to Rob's defense every single time is going to simply make it look not just power abusive, but as if KxK is a troubled brand that needs to be defended.

All small builders miss deadlines occasionally. Just this year, Rob has dealt with an unplanned relocation, a CARB-mandated shutdown of his spray booth, hardware and electronic sourcing problems, and an illness. This is never mentioned because Rob does not want to make excuses for missing a deadline. He rather just work as hard as he can, and if he is a little late, offer the customer his sincere apology, rather than a pile of excuses. Besides, if anyone thinks his wait is long, I suggest you order a custom shop Jackson, just so you can become acquainted with what a REAL wait is like.

Whenever there is an issue with one of his instruments, he leaves it up to the customer if they wish to ship it back so he can correct it. When Schecter fucked up the fretwork on a run of Loomis sigs, no one around here complained, since Schecter replaced every one of those guitars. Give the builder a chance to make it right BEFORE dragging his name through the mud. This is not Halo, who has consistently fucked up time and time again, and tried to pass it off as normal.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree on this a little bit, If it was halo who did such a mistake everybody would be ridding their ass (including me), but because a mod is endorsed by kxk everybody seems to be okay with him missing deadlines and small mistakes like this.

That's complete bullshit, and I'm really growing tired of you trying to stir up drama on my site. If you think I won't ban you, you are mistaken, so knock it the fuck off.

Everyone else: Stop shitting on Cancer's thread.

220BX

Reaction score
wow that is one sweet looking guitar!!!! BTW i have never seen an archtop KXK before...this guitar is not even mentioned in the "12 7's" section!! did i miss something??

but again..... beautiful guitar!!!

Infused1

Reaction score
How is the Carnuba wax applied on a oil stain like this? Is it a solid that you wipe on, or a liquid? Thanks for bringing that up, I was just pondering the same question for when my KXK arrives.

Its a solid type that you should be able to pickup at a music store.

I think I have done all I can to NOT abuse my power as a mod to squash criticism of the brand. I have given people free rein to be as vocal as they want, since rushing to Rob's defense every single time is going to simply make it look not just power abusive, but as if KxK is a troubled brand that needs to be defended.

All small builders miss deadlines occasionally. Just this year, Rob has dealt with an unplanned relocation, a CARB-mandated shutdown of his spray booth, hardware and electronic sourcing problems, and an illness. This is never mentioned because Rob does not want to make excuses for missing a deadline. He rather just work as hard as he can, and if he is a little late, offer the customer his sincere apology, rather than a pile of excuses. Besides, if anyone thinks his wait is long, I suggest you order a custom shop Jackson, just so you can become acquainted with what a REAL wait is like.

Whenever there is an issue with one of his instruments, he leaves it up to the customer if they wish to ship it back so he can correct it. When Schecter fucked up the fretwork on a run of Loomis sigs, no one around here complained, since Schecter replaced every one of those guitars. Give the builder a chance to make it right BEFORE dragging his name through the mud. This is not Halo, who has consistently fucked up time and time again, and tried to pass it off as normal.

:agreed:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
What it probably is is a really different climate from California, and like Rob said, some moisture seeped out of the end grain. Shit happens, and as soon as Rob saw it he offered to cover all shipping costs to fix it, so I hardly see what the big deal it.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
When Schecter fucked up the fretwork on a run of Loomis sigs, no one around here complained, since Schecter replaced every one of those guitars.

That's another thing I just noticed when I looked at the pics again, looks like he did a great job with the fretwork on this one. Nice balled-off fret ends! :yum: Sorry, slightly off the topic but when you said that it reminded me to go back and check out. :)

101_0274.jpg

')