NGD: Cancer's KXK Review (56k = not recommended...seriously)

• Thread starter Cancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
That's another thing I just noticed when I looked at the pics again, looks like he did a great job with the fretwork on this one. Nice balled-off fret ends! :yum: Sorry, slightly off the topic but when you said that it reminded me to go back and check out. :)

101_0274.jpg

Thanks for noticing! Fretwork is one of his strongest suits, and this particular guitar has his "binding edge" fretboard--the fret ends stop before the edge of the fretboard, so it feels like a bound neck, even though it is not.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for noticing! Fretwork is one of his strongest suits, and this particular guitar has his "binding edge" fretboard--the fret ends stop before the edge of the fretboard, so it feels like a bound neck, even though it is not.

No doubt dude, Ron does the same thing but he calls it "hidden fret ends" and I really dig it, looks very clean. :agreed:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score

Ohmigod, I just noticed that... That's awesome. Normally you see can see the tangs, but not here. Holy crap:yesway:. Thanks for pointing that out Dave.

We should definitely get a meet and greet together, the concept of rewound JB7 fascinates me, plus it'll just a good hang.

Thanks for the info on the recessed strap buttons :yesway:
One more question, would a straplock strap work with it?

I don't think so. Straplocks have a sleeve that fits around the outside of the strap button, this one takes a ball-bearing pin. Swapping the two would be a pain to, since one's recessed and the other isn't. I never had one of thiese before either, usually I use the Dimarzio system, but this works too.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Man that guitar is sick looking, I hope he does the binding edge thing on mine, is that not a standard feature?

Also I might have to email him about a few things...

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Does Rob do that binding edge by using the same fretboard wood as actual binding or does he CNC out the fret slots? Either way, the fretwork looks pretty awesome.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
... X2n7 which I believe is fairly similiar to the Invader...

Not really even a close comparison, other than the output... opposite ends of the spectrum. The X2N is extremely bright, with a lot of trebly bite, where the Invader is probably the most dark sounding pickup I've ever heard.

Not really sure why the few people here can't just drop the whole argument about who is more right/wrong about guitar facts, and who is being more rude. Everyone else is just ignoring it and discussing the guitar (as they should).

Coobanez

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself now for not taking that deal when it was on:wallbash:
Next time for sure, no doubt about it, thanks Cancer.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Not really even a close comparison, other than the output... opposite ends of the spectrum. The X2N is extremely bright, with a lot of trebly bite, where the Invader is probably the most dark sounding pickup I've ever heard.

Not really sure why the few people here can't just drop the whole argument about who is more right/wrong about guitar facts, and who is being more rude. Everyone else is just ignoring it and discussing the guitar (as they should).

What was the Invader in when you heard it? Both times I've heard it was annoyingly bright, and unlike the X2n7, the resonance peak was in place my ear didn't really like. I also thinking about Nile, who have dark tones, but also have shorter scale lengths on their guitars (24.75 or 25.5), and go through darker sounding cabs.

I will admit that both times I heard the Invader there were mods involved, one involved a change of capacitors, the other a change from "standard" scale length.

I would be willing to give the Invader another shot but I'd like to know what you heard it in? Perhaps it would marry better in a mahogany, as opposed to the Alder woods I've been hearing it in.

zombietime

Reaction score
Anyone know if KXK is going to be taking orders soon? Can anyone pm me some ballpark prices for a 7 string super-strat style?

cev

Trollhammaren!!
Reaction score
What was the Invader in when you heard it? Both times I've heard it was annoyingly bright, and unlike the X2n7, the resonance peak was in place my ear didn't really like. I also thinking about Nile, who have dark tones, but also have shorter scale lengths on their guitars (24.75 or 25.5), and go through darker sounding cabs.

I will admit that both times I heard the Invader there were mods involved, one involved a change of capacitors, the other a change from "standard" scale length.

I would be willing to give the Invader another shot but I'd like to know what you heard it in? Perhaps it would marry better in a mahogany, as opposed to the Alder woods I've been hearing it in.

I dunno what you've been listening to, but the Invader that I put in my alder DK2M is way darker than the stock JB that was in there :shrug:

psychoticsnoman

Reaction score
only a couple things to say,

1) GOD DAMN!!!

2) I don't even think you could Mod that

3) and apparently there is something wrong with a lock sooooooo..... if it goes missing don't look at me

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome video review :yesway: Looking forward to the clips.

eightballhemhorrage

Reaction score
i just played this guitar and it was quite nice. i was not a huge fan of the neck joint (WAY to abrupt for me) but the neck itself reminded me of a parker neck (good thing). the guitar sounded GREAT xspecially the lower registers but i am still not sure if i am a fan of the blackouts. outside of the 2 finish flaws the rest of it looked pretty good. and bye the way Tony... you LOVED the sound of the invaders in my Tiger Stripe AND Wave.. at least that is what you told me. ;)

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
i just played this guitar and it was quite nice. i was not a huge fan of the neck joint (WAY to abrupt for me) but the neck itself reminded me of a parker neck (good thing). the guitar sounded GREAT xspecially the lower registers but i am still not sure if i am a fan of the blackouts. outside of the 2 finish flaws the rest of it looked pretty good. and bye the way Tony... you LOVED the sound of the invaders in my Tiger Stripe AND Wave.. at least that is what you told me. ;)

But you modded yours, didn't you? And I don't remember an Invader ever being in one of your Waves. This is my memory we're talking about though, and I claim any level of accuracy with it in the slightest.....:lol:

You and Dana both had Invaders during the Mars days, and I just remember liking the concept (Frankenkstein bolts ftw) and not the reality. That being said, I'd like to give the Invaders another shot though. The Blackouts, although cool, have reminded me that I tend to gravitate toward "over the top" pickups (like my beloved X2N7).

')