NGD - Carillion Polaris 6 - Koa

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
That’s a fantastic looking top on that beastie!!! Happy New Guitar Day

I do have a legitimate question I’d like to ask if I may?

With the fact that the guitar has a multiple piece neck, what is the significance of the single piece body? Is the multi piece neck just for looks? Is the body strong enough not to need multiple pieces.

I’m just curious that these aspects of the construction seem directly opposed.

I’ve got a custom with a one piece Honduran mahogany body and a one piece pau ferro neck ( from back when as few pieces of wood as possible sounded better ;) ). And just am curious as to what the take is these days...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Very nice mate. I’m glad I managed to get in on a Koa model before you took absolutely all of it. :p I should post a couple of mine sometime :)

P

Post your Koa sandwich. Even better sell it to me :D

That’s a fantastic looking top on that beastie!!! Happy New Guitar Day

I do have a legitimate question I’d like to ask if I may?

With the fact that the guitar has a multiple piece neck, what is the significance of the single piece body? Is the multi piece neck just for looks? Is the body strong enough not to need multiple pieces.

I’m just curious that these aspects of the construction seem directly opposed.

I’ve got a custom with a one piece Honduran mahogany body and a one piece pau ferro neck ( from back when as few pieces of wood as possible sounded better ;) ). And just am curious as to what the take is these days...

There is a lot more tension on the neck so thats why you need a truss rod and using multiple pieces of wood can make it more stable. On the body the pressure is on the neck joint and bridge but you have a thick piece of wood with screws + bolts taking the strain. As long as the body wood is dried correctly and sealed then it shouldn't move. The builder will know soon as he cuts into it if there is any movement.

I ordered a one piece mahogany body because any guitar with one I've played (Schecter USA, Blackmachine, Vik, my Carillion 7) have had a really thick tone and are very loud acoustically. I also think it looks cool. To be honest while I spec guitars around tonewood its only the body wood that I care about. As long as the neck is a multiple piece hard wood(maple or rosewood) with a hardwood fretboard I don't mind.

Tone aside I love the look of a 5 piece neck and the way the one piece mahogany body has the wavy patterns. I think thats called cathedral grain.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Two things:
1. That is absolutely GORGEOUS.
2. Absolutely wonderful playing!

Congratulations and cheers!!

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I had seen that video and was hoping you would put up a more detailed post here.

That guitar looks incredibly well thought out and built. Absolute beauty!

Great playing and tone too btw.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely Incredible. I've been stalking Chris online for a few years now and I'm a massive fan of his work. I want to enquire with him about a build but don't want to waste his time as it won't be this year, and I don't want to tease myself in case it's cheaper/shorter lead time than I was expecting!
I'm always glad to hear that instruments I lust after play extremely well.
I feel that Carillion sometimes get overlooked for other more pantomime guitars when it comes to UK top end luthiers, but I think the fact you NEVER see any on the used market is a testament to how good they are.
Obviously you pushed him back on the due date, but what's the current lead time? I'm preparing myself for the ensuing mental gymnastics to try and work out how much I can save before the guitar is ready :D

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Glad you guys all dig the guitar and my playing. Plenty more original videos to come with this one.

Absolutely Incredible. I've been stalking Chris online for a few years now and I'm a massive fan of his work. I want to enquire with him about a build but don't want to waste his time as it won't be this year, and I don't want to tease myself in case it's cheaper/shorter lead time than I was expecting!
I'm always glad to hear that instruments I lust after play extremely well.
I feel that Carillion sometimes get overlooked for other more pantomime guitars when it comes to UK top end luthiers, but I think the fact you NEVER see any on the used market is a testament to how good they are.
Obviously you pushed him back on the due date, but what's the current lead time? I'm preparing myself for the ensuing mental gymnastics to try and work out how much I can save before the guitar is ready :D

You are in good hands if you go with Chris. My two 7 strings were done in under 4 months once the build commenced and ready ahead of schedule. I’m not sure if chris is still on top of things that much but he does close his wait list once he gets enough builds. I don’t know what the wait time is now if you ordered a build. I’m guessing Spring 2022 based on when the bog oak run this year was organised but you’d have to enquire with Chris.

They are rare second hand but occasionally one pops up and sells just as quick. If you wanted one the best thing is to message an owner to see if they’d sell. I’ve had some pretty crazy offers for mine but they aren’t going anywhere.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the owners would tire of my weekly messages! Plus it would probably be as wise for me to try and get on something like the Kessel Run he's doing at the minute/just finished.

valvefury

Reaction score
The Kessel Run is in final stages now I think JimF. I don't know if Chris's books are open to the public right now - but I can't speak for him. I think Lorcan is right you maybe looking at 2022. Chris is busy for a good reason - cause his stuff is fantastic and he does what he says he will for delivery/price. There is NO "funny business" when you deal with Chris. Chris runs his business great and has a stellar reputation.

Lorcan your new guitar sure is awesome. Thanks for sharing and the video also.

ikarus

Reaction score
happy NGD unfortunatly the pics do not work.

Also I would like to hear more about this:
This was originally the specs of my Blackmachine B2 which I never got
75572094_10218016121247311_3227468640756432896_o.jpg

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The Kessel Run is in final stages now I think JimF. I don't know if Chris's books are open to the public right now - but I can't speak for him. I think Lorcan is right you maybe looking at 2022. Chris is busy for a good reason - cause his stuff is fantastic and he does what he says he will for delivery/price. There is NO "funny business" when you deal with Chris. Chris runs his business great and has a stellar reputation.

Lorcan your new guitar sure is awesome. Thanks for sharing and the video also.

Thanks man! Agreed, Chris is great to deal with from his professional attitude. No 8 month build times turning into 4 year shenanigans.

happy NGD unfortunatly the pics do not work.

Damn. This usually happens after a year or two but not a month later when hosting on facebook. I'll upload pictures again this week.

Also I would like to hear more about this:

I've no idea of the timeline but I was on the list for a B2. Spec'd it out with Doug. A few years later he said the price was now double what we first agreed. I didn't have a deposit down but I was annoyed he raised the price to mirror the second hand prices and it had been a few years since we talked specs. He ended up building a B2 to my specs but sold it to someone else who then promptly flipped it for 5-6 times which really pissed him off. AFAIK Doug then wiped his build list and charges 5 figures now. It annoyed me at the time but I'm much happier with my Carillions.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
but what's the current lead time? I'm preparing myself for the ensuing mental gymnastics to try and work out how much I can save before the guitar is ready :D

I spoke with Chris in June and he had a couple of slots left in May 2021 with an estimated completion date of September 2021 if I remember correctly - imagine those slots have been filled now so will likely be later now. So I'd get in touch and book in when you can! I can't remember his deposit policy, but imagine it'd be something like 30% upfront, then the rest later down the line.

Also worth checking out he sometimes has the odd in stock build as well

')