NGD! - Carvin DC7X... C'mon; You KNOW You Wanna See This :)

• Thread starter decreebass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I may be a bit biased, but I also kinda feel its really hard to get a really nice "pop" with a red finish over quilt.. Seems that is one color that never quite sticks out like a Blue or Amber does. I definitely understand what you mean with regards to the bookmatch though, its not worth the extra $100. Blackburst also kinda hurts it IMO

Other than that, sounds great.. Im sure you know about my anxious waiting of the ST300 I've ordered, and if the only issue I have with it is a slightly dissapointiing quilt pattern (I ordered a one piece quilt top) - I'll be ecstatic. I've got so many Opt 50's on it, lots of room for errors (and thats after my Roasted Maple wood wasn't good enough to be used lol)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Blackburst also kinda hurts it IMO

See - everyone says this about the guitar, but I have to completely disagree - the blackburst would be fine if the red wasn't so dark. The black, I would say, is completely gone at MAX 2" from the side - it's not like it has blac edges and then a light coating of black all over. It would look absolutely stunning if the red was brighter - and the black edges would just make it pop that much more.

I've posted the same pics of the red quilt guitars a bunch of times that I sent to the salesman - they look beautiful in normal lighting. They would look beautiful with blackburst edges. They just picked WAY to dark of a color on this one and I erroneously deferred to my salesman's judgement given our discussion of how I wanted it to look and how I didn't want it to look AND I sent him the pics.

Anyway, Nick - I, too, look forward to your new guitar! I can't believe that about the roasted maple. That blew my mind when I read that it warped. I'll keep my eyes peeled here and at the BBS :)

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
See - everyone says this about the guitar, but I have to completely disagree - the blackburst would be fine if the red wasn't so dark. The black, I would say, is completely gone at MAX 2" from the side - it's not like it has blac edges and then a light coating of black all over. It would look absolutely stunning if the red was brighter - and the black edges would just make it pop that much more.

I've posted the same pics of the red quilt guitars a bunch of times that I sent to the salesman - they look beautiful in normal lighting. They would look beautiful with blackburst edges. They just picked WAY to dark of a color on this one and I erroneously deferred to my salesman's judgement given our discussion of how I wanted it to look and how I didn't want it to look AND I sent him the pics.

Anyway, Nick - I, too, look forward to your new guitar! I can't believe that about the roasted maple. That blew my mind when I read that it warped. I'll keep my eyes peeled here and at the BBS :)

Yeah, I sent my salesman pictures of how I wanted the one piece quilt top to look (from other Carvin one piece tops) and I get the feeling it wasnt even looked at or noted on the file. I think the salesmen can only do so much (their ordering system seems quite rigid) and in the end, there is a disconnect between the people you talk to directly on the phone, and the actual builders. I don't even know if 90% of the salesmen have a talking relationship with Mark or anyone back in the shop other than a few like Mike and Albert. It's always a gamble.

With 1000's of guitars a year, I'm sure its not an easy process, and it wasnt made to cater to people like us with Opt 50s. The system is made for simple specs so they can just pump out guitars fast.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score

But blackburst does darken the entire finish, and quite drastically. Take for example my old spalted maple DC727. You can clearly see that the finish is vastly darker than my current spalt-top DC700.

That's the thing about blackburst. It's not like the paint magically stops past 2" from the side. They're not taping off the center of the body. Particles from the black will stain and darken the entire rest of the guitar.... so actually yeah, it *does* have a light coating of black all over!

The only way for you to get a guitar like the pic you posted would be to skip the blackburst or add the blackburst to a much brighter red.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
The mahogany/maple 5 piece looks awesome.

')