NGD! - Carvin DC7X... C'mon; You KNOW You Wanna See This :)

• Thread starter decreebass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Kind of off-topic but I have to know: is Rio Linda really that well known outside the Sacramento area? :scratch:

Anyway, that looks like a great guitar! :yesway: My excitement about the DC7X was also undercut when I found out about the Majesty 7 lol. Unlike you though, I won't be affording either for a long time...

You have two kidneys and zero Majestys.

Get your priorities straight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TraE

Reaction score
That does kind of suck about the top (just that you paid extra for it), but it still looks really good. HNGD, dude.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Upon closer inspection though, it is a pretty wavy quilt - just not AAAAA (FIVE "A"). Or maybe it's the finish. Maybe the dark finish and blackburst edges ruin what might be an otherwise great quilt? I suppose I'll find out when I get some sun on it :)

Yeah, we'll see. To me it looks like there are plenty of waves/valleys/whatever, but the definition leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe you're just a crummy photographer, ha ha. :cool:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
To me it looks like there are plenty of waves/valleys/whatever, but the definition leaves a lot to be desired.

Is this a DTS finish? "Deep Black Cherry" sounds like it but the lack of definition almost looks like what you'd get with a translucent color...

You have two kidneys and zero Majestys.

Get your priorities straight.

:lol::lol:

I can't believe a thread about a Carvin is giving me so much Majesty GAS. I keep thinking about that black seven-string...:bowdown:

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Is this a DTS finish? "Deep Black Cherry" sounds like it but the lack of definition almost looks like what you'd get with a translucent color...

:lol::lol:

I can't believe a thread about a Carvin is giving me so much Majesty GAS. I keep thinking about that black seven-string...:bowdown:

You mean this one?

12354003015_208989ef8f_b_zpsfc2649c0.jpg

I think Svava sent that to me... Yea my Majesty GAS is out of control. But yea that is a good way to put it about the quilt - just lack of definition. When I specified the color I was looking for, I said I want RED. Not purple, not pink, not black but RED. and I emailed him this (not surprisingly also a Carvin):
18364_CT6T_CA_Carved_Top_RR_Quilt_97332_1.jpg

But it didn't turn out quite like that. Still a drool-worthy guitar though, so I have no intentions of sending it back. I think this may be as close to "happy" as a guy like me can be with a "custom" (semi-, of course) guitar. :lol:

decreebass

Reaction score
Kind of off-topic but I have to know: is Rio Linda really that well known outside the Sacramento area? :scratch:

Yes; but only because that's what Rush Limbaugh says periodically. I guess he got his start in radio there so he razzes them every now and again as being back-woods. I lived there for a few years so I claim that statement too :)

decreebass

Reaction score
Outdoor shots were added to first page. If only the sun shone inside my dark, dank apartment lol

terran236

Iridescent Noise
Reaction score
Very nice man, I like it, reminds me of the Ibanez RG premium. Except more awesome and custom. I also like the inlays. I think square inlays are underrated. You dont see abalone on rosewood too often. Great choice!

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
:yum: Gorgeous. I really wish they'd do something about the lower horn on their superstrats, I'd love to order a Carvin but the shape just bugs me way too much haha

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
Bear in mind that when they're looking at the figuring on the quilt, they're doing so before it's stained, and no one can predict exactly how a top will take a stain. The bright-lighting shots do show some pretty awesome figuring, but I agree that it's not worth the upcharge. I've never paid it and I've always gotten amazing tops from Carvin.

The dullness of the quilt relative to the other guitar you posted the pic of is from the blackburst. Blackburst darkens the entire finish and obscures the figuring of the wood. But if you take it out in very bright light, it'll look pretty awesome, like a black-cherry version of this (which the owner said looks almost black indoors).

Just as a contrast, here's my old DC800 in the same color, sans blackburst:
920424_10151406661256430_1240088899_o.jpg

Convictional

Starfish, Octopus
Reaction score
I've had a bit of GAS lately for a DC7x. I found their customer service to be pretty awesome for the price I paid for my dc700.
I don't really like the way their block inlays sit on the extended neck. The block is wayyyyy too fat at the first fret IMO. I also wish Carvin offered neck bindings. I'd be willing to pay an extra 100 or so for a white/black neck binding cause it really pulls a guitar together.

Anyway HNGD

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
You mean this one?

12354003015_208989ef8f_b_zpsfc2649c0.jpg

OH YEAH. :bowdown::bowdown:

I feel like EBMM totally nailed it with this particular guitar. The ergonomics, the features, the aesthetic... It's almost too good. I'm not really a fan of the "shield" on the lighter finishes but even that looks awesome with the black, kind of like a burst finish.

A lot of guys have been saying the Schecter KM-7 is their ideal guitar. For me, it's this one - it's almost like JP designed it with me in mind... :lol:

decreebass

Reaction score
this world needs more alder body with mahogany neckthru. Happy NGD!

And Carvin's mahogany is actually lighter (colored) that I figured. It's nice and luxurious; feels nice. I kind of got it just as something different than my usual walnut with maple stripes look (zomg I have a "usual" Carvin neck haha).

It's hard to tell how the wood affects the tone though. There are so many things that are different about this guitar that I can't directly compare it to any of my others. But it's an amazing axe. I'm now on the fence about changing string gauge; 9s are easier to play but the 10s make me work for it... :scratch:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
That looks ....ing sick dude! I can't believe I missed this. I might be looking into Carvin soon, really dig the Strat Style Bolt I'm borrowing right now.

decreebass

Reaction score
That looks ....ing sick dude! I can't believe I missed this. I might be looking into Carvin soon, really dig the Strat Style Bolt I'm borrowing right now.

Thanks :) And yea - I've never heard a bad thing about their bolts. I'm having a few issues with it. I rant and rave a lot more over at the Carvin BBS: Carvin.com BBS :: View topic - NGD! DC7X - Deep Black Cherry Quilt Content!

I'm so torn. I love the way they play and feel and sound and the craftsmanship is on par with the best out there - but they've let me down in SOME way on every build so far. Hell, even when I ordered amps from them they didn't follow instructions when it came to shipping. Someone keeps dropping the ball on my orders over there and now, I'm sure they all know who I am and probably don't like me so I don't think it'd be "safe" for me to order from them again.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Oh the Bolt is just wonderful, it's cool having that bright single coil tone in the herd as well. So I'll probably go with either Carvin or Fender for that guitar.

And I just gave that a read, that's definitely disappointing that you weren't completely satisfied with each purchase. And I honestly wouldn't worry about that, thankfully you're still protected by your credit card and bank companies if anything negative were to happen. But I honestly doubt Carvin holds a vendetta over you man!

')