NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
My wonderful wife surprised me with this yesterday for Christmas. I'd been checking these out online for a little while now, but couldn't really find too much information/reviews on them except for what was made available by Rob Chapman himself.

Really light guitar in relation to its size. I own a Gibson Explorer and RD that are much, much heavier. Neck is really thin and comfortable. Fret edges are filed and not sharp. It does have some neck dive, but I half expected that. I was pleased find that this guitar was loaded with Seymour Duncans rather than the Chapman Passive Aggressive pups. Quality was pretty much on par with anything coming out of Korea. The Hipshot bridge and locking tuners are a big +1 for me. The placement of the tuning keys make it a little awkward to tune if you're playing standing up, but I guess I just need to get used to it.

Sounds great through my 5150iii. Excels at super heavy tones and does a great job with cleans, due to the coil-tap.

I may not be the biggest fan of the man himself, but I'll definitely say that I'm impressed with this offering.

IMG_2409_zpsygtjzbgg.jpg

IMG_2407_zpsejzk6hxu.jpg

IMG_2411_zpskk0ikupd.jpg

IMG_2408_zpscryaxhua.jpg

IMG_2412_zpsnd63mylw.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Definitely one of the better models he's put out! Looks awesome, HNGD.

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
HNGD! I really want to try one of these. I really like the natural one.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Always wanted an explorer after seeing Devin Townsend rock one in the late nineties. That looks fantastic, happy NGD!

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I never understood the hate for Rob Chapman, it seems to be a pretty popular opinion. To me he just seems like a guy who has a kick ass music career that anyone of us would love to have, and genuinely loves what he does.

but anyway, that's a sexy guitar. HNGD.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nice looking guitar.

What do you mean about the placement of the tuning keys? They look like they're pretty normal to me. You mean you don't like the rev HS, or is there something going on with them I'm missing?

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
Nice looking guitar.

What do you mean about the placement of the tuning keys? They look like they're pretty normal to me. You mean you don't like the rev HS, or is there something going on with them I'm missing?
It's just the reverse headstock. I got used to it after playing the guitar for awhile longer.

ZERO1

Reaction score
Is it really a hipshot bridge knock off? Because I was able to find this on thier site. Stainless Hardtail Bridge > Store > Hipshot Products . looks like it but the chapman one is black. can anyone confirm?

edit: upon further inspection they are different. Is there anything that can be done because it is clearly false advertising.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
Is it really a hipshot bridge knock off? Because I was able to find this on thier site. Stainless Hardtail Bridge > Store > Hipshot Products . looks like it but the chapman one is black. can anyone confirm?

edit: upon further inspection they are different. Is there anything that can be done because it is clearly false advertising.
It's hard to tell from my pictures, but the saddles on my bridge are angled up. Or at least thats an observation I remember making. I can look when I get home and post a picture. The Hipshot bridge appears to have saddles that are parallel to the bridge itself. Hard to tell if this is correct, but it sure looks it.

Also, if you look at the screws that mount the bridge to the guitar, the Hipshot appears to use 3 screws whereas mine has 5.

I think I'm going to reach out to Chapman Guitars to see what they say.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score

I just emailed them. It's really late in the evening in the U.K. so obviously I won't get an answer anytime soon.

')