NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spectivum

Reaction score
I tried the ML7 the other day and it did have a real Hipshot so this might only affect the Ghost Fret.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I tried the ML7 the other day and it did have a real Hipshot so this might only affect the Ghost Fret.

Both of the ML-7 variants come with proper Hipshots, and are advertised as such. The ML-3 Modern (the Tele shape) has this same bridge, but it's advertised as a "Chapman ‘Hard Tail Deluxe’ bridge", which is way more honest, though it's still just one of those cheap Chinese dealios you cen get for a few bucks on eBay. Those are actually quite all right, all said and done. It's the false advertisement of these that's a huge problem.

... but I'm surprised at the amount of people who can't tell them apart (as seen in this very thread). So the "night and day" difference people claim to hear between Hipshot and stock bridges seems like a bit of snake oil brought on by people's desire to hear what they want to hear, hm?

deftones-88

Reaction score
HNGD - I really want one of these, in that finish too. Not sure I dig the headstock though. Looks a little out of place. It may grow on me.

I'm curious to know how the body feel compared to your explorer? Apparently its slightly smaller than your average design. I was worried it would feel ... like a toy.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
HNGD - I really want one of these, in that finish too. Not sure I dig the headstock though. Looks a little out of place. It may grow on me.

I'm curious to know how the body feel compared to your explorer? Apparently its slightly smaller than your average design. I was worried it would feel ... like a toy.
IMHO it does not feel like a toy. I would say it's about 2 lbs lighter than my Gibson Explorer. I know it has a smaller body but I really can't tell much of a difference in 'feel'. I would probably have to play them in succession to notice.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the amount of people who can't tell them apart (as seen in this very thread). So the "night and day" difference people claim to hear between Hipshot and stock bridges seems like a bit of snake oil brought on by people's desire to hear what they want to hear, hm?

I think a lot of it is that some people don't know exactly what a Hipshot bridge is. Take me, for example. I have heard of Hipshot. I know they have a reputation of quality. I have even looked at a Hipshot replacement bridge for my 7-string Gibraltar, but have never looked at a hardtail. Take that in addition to the fact the tuners on that guitar are labeled "Hipshot" and I wouldn't have any reason to believe that it wasn't genuine. But I think the biggest thing is that yes, if a manufacturer says there's a Hipshot bridge on there, I am probably going to believe it. If Gibson advertises a guitar to have BurstBuckers, I'm going to assume there's BurstBuckers in there. I mean don't get me wrong, I can tell the difference between... let's say an Original Floyd Rose vs a cheap knock-off...but I'm just not familiar with Hipshot visually.

It just sucks that a company would flat out lie about what they put on their instruments.

Enderlyn

Reaction score
It just sucks that a company would flat out lie about what they put on their instruments.

It could be a simple mistake in the marketing copy. I've seen it a number of times from major manufacturers (Fender, in particular) and reviewers often just quote it verbatim, mistakes and all.

I went back and looked at the video where he showed off the prototype. Just a bit after three minutes in, he referred to the bridge just as a "hardtail" and not a Hipshot:

https://youtu.be/ezkrLTxKnVg

My guess it really was just a marketing screwup and not deliberately trying to put one over on everyone, which would be pretty stupid since it would pretty obvious to people familiar with Hipshot bridges and a deliberate lie would catch up to you pretty quickly.

I am having a slight issue with tuning

This one worries me a little. I've been looking at getting one of these, but have held off until there are more reviews out there. Is it a particular string that you're having problems with or is the tuning unstable in general?

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
This one worries me a little. I've been looking at getting one of these, but have held off until there are more reviews out there. Is it a particular string that you're having problems with or is the tuning unstable in general?

I have had a little trouble with the 3rd (G) string. I haven't tried to remedy the problem yet, so it could be something very minor.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
I went back and looked at the video where he showed off the prototype. Just a bit after three minutes in, he referred to the bridge just as a "hardtail" and not a Hipshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZCmx3MdWM

At about the 7:50 mark Rob Chapman himself says that it has Hipshot parts. Now while he doesn't specifically say: 'bridge', one can make an assumption that his plural use of the word meant more than one Hipshot product on it.

ZERO1

Reaction score
this thread is becoming super interesting. can't wait so see how it gets resolved

deftones-88

Reaction score
I really struggle to see there being any malice in the advertisement of the guitar. It should probably state 'Hipshot style bridge'. Maybe some miscommunication with the IT department?

Otherwise, has anyone taken it off and had a look at its branding?

Enderlyn

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZCmx3MdWM

At about the 7:50 mark Rob Chapman himself says that it has Hipshot parts. Now while he doesn't specifically say: 'bridge', one can make an assumption that his plural use of the word meant more than one Hipshot product on it.

Hadn't seen that video before. Can't believe I'm Zaprudering a guitar video, but he does look at the tuners and then to the bridge when he says Hipshot parts.

Still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and that it was just an honest mistake in the marketing copy, though. I've certainly made a few of those with my own company.

Hopefully they'll respond to you next week after all of the holiday/New Year madness is done and everyone is back at work.

MoJoToJo

Reaction score
I don't follow the guy but pretty sure he is touring USA this month, grab him by the old nutsack & ask him up close & personal "whats the story on my Hipshot Mr Monkey Lord?" :monkey:

')