NGD- Chapman ML7-T Out of Honeymoon Stage...

• Thread starter Les
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Okay guys, Ive had this for about a month now, waited to do this NGD so i could give you guys the real impressions... so pron first, and I'll go through the details later.

40M33SQ.jpg

lA6f7iH.jpg

LOIMzye.jpg

xbtljRE.jpg

D7IIIz4.jpg

Qk6pDeW.jpg

X8ZwXGf.jpg

dpzJIPB.jpg

rWbJXth.jpg

kGPYIuj.jpg

TlDV8wy.jpg

ESJvRfi.jpg

First off, i want to thank Ike over at Flipside in Denver, CO. Great communication and customer service during the preorder process, and it came swiftly once it arrived there and setup how I requested it to be. He even threw in a tin of picks (flipside logo tortex!) and a set of strings based on how i told him i like to tune. (standard b and a half step down)

I'm not going to go over the specs, you guys know by now what these things are, and if not I will answer any questions.

The guitar is made very well. You can see by the photos, neck and body joins are great. Frets are smooth and even, no sharpies anywhere. The bare wood is very nice to touch, feels warm and solid. The bare finish is something i really dig. I think its a wax finish over the swamp ash. Neck is smooth and satin, easy to play. This thing resonates A LOT! The headstock and base of the body sing with resonance when played, and unplugged it is fairly loud and bright. I really enjoy plinking around unplugged while i watch TV or something. It is slightly neck heavy, but nothing that isn't manageable.

The Hipshot hardware is stellar, of course, 'nuff said about that. The controls are just okay, but the "Tele" plate is thick and sturdy, so it should take well to some better pots and switches later on. That being said, i cant really complain, they don't make noise and function as they should, i just don't like the spongy feeling three way switch. The coil tap is fun to play with, but nothing i use for playing metal. I pulled the control plate and the wiring is neat and soldering is done well.

The pickups are good, but still leave something to be desired. I will be upgrading those very soon. The bridge handles the lows very well, but the neck pickup gets sloppy on the low frequencies, especially if your doing drop A tuning. But who plays drop A riffs and chugs on the neck pickup anyway? It does a good job on the upper register of the fret board, so really, it does what it should. Overall, they compliment the guitar well enough, and I wouldn't receive it any other way. (i prefer to chose my own pickups anyway)

Overall, this Chapman is amazing for the price. Even amazing at a more expensive price point! (if it were). I really like it, the neck is a cross between ESP and Fender shape, and its not wizard thin or Les Paul fat. Somewhere in the middle. I cant really describe the shape, as it seems a mix between a C and D shape, all i can really say is that its comfy and i don't fatigue on it like i do my Ibanez 8 string. Maybe im not for thin necks, but i have larger hands.

The ML7-T is a VERY well made, great priced guitar, and its a great platform for some modding in the future, so stay tuned, I have some killer ideas you guys will like. Thanks for reading, if you've made it this far! If you guys want ill share some of my ideas with you in the modifications section.

EDIT: oh yah, the gig bag is insane, for a gig bag. seriously. I dont even like gig bags, but this one is damn good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tjp

Reaction score
Nice photos! I also decided to buy ML7-t finally. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
That's going to improve the aesthetics of this guitar a lot!
Why Chapman didn't give it black hardware to begin with is beyond me tbh..

I think if Keith hadn't gotten the Schecter deal towards the end, it probably would have ended up with the black hardware...

Although i do understand, there are a lot of guitars with black hipshot stuff, and tbh, i dont mind the chrome at all, it keeps it a little classy. That being said, its almost a given that it does NEED to be black!!!

Yep, black hardware would definitely look better with natural finish! I would like to stain body of my ML7-t with transparent black. Like this: http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb475/ga_renner42/DSC_0258.jpg I think chrome hardware should look good with it.

That would look really good, DO EEET! If i did the body, black would be my choice too, but i was thinking for mine, more along the lines of the m80m finish, showing the open grain... the swamp ash has so much grain to show off!

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
What about black chrome like what Ibanez do?

I have black chrome hardware on my Ibby Iron label 8 and frankly I'm over it. Plus, i dont think Hipshot offers that finish. Just gold, chrome, and black.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Congrats bro! I really like your review! The S shape was going to be my first 7 string, but I got impatient and got something else! I really want to try these one day. IM pretty sure they are made in the same factory as the PRS SEs and LTDs.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
This is practically the only guitar I can think of where I don't care that the headstock is black and doesn't match the body. hngd

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Congrats bro! I really like your review! The S shape was going to be my first 7 string, but I got impatient and got something else! I really want to try these one day. IM pretty sure they are made in the same factory as the PRS SEs and LTDs.

Yes they are, i think Schecters too...

I really liked the S shape as well, but im a sucker for Telecaster shapes, dont know why, its just always been that way for me. If i had my way i'd have all Tele's in various configurations. I also wanted the Swamp Ash body, the S type is Mahogany.

Latest posts

')