NGD: Charvel USA So Cal! (56k is a joke)

• Thread starter sakeido
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
well, I had ordered one of these awhile back through Matt's Music and was all excited to get it. Then, three days before they are released, he sends me an e-mail saying that he had a falling out with Jackson/Charvel and isn't going to carry either brand anymore, so I get shafted out of the tangerine orange So Cal I had on order from him.
That was somewhat crushing, but no big deal. I changed my order to something else that has yet to show up. Today, I go to the local music store just to see if they do have one of these in and also to cancel my order for a Nova since I picked one up from a different store across town awhile back. It turns out they have three of the production models left, one So Cal, one gold Tele, and one normal one dunno what they are called. I play one just to see if it would have been worth it and... my god.
These things are an absolute steal. $999 for this? Unbelievable! It is a USA made guitar and I thought they would have cut a lot of corners, but it definitely doesn't seem that way. The frets are fantastic - perfectly level and smooth across the neck, and the neck has almost exactly the same profile as my SLSMG, which is my favorite guitar of all time. The pickups - a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck - sound absolutely fantastic in this alder body.
The guitar looks deadly. I ended up with a black one, which is actually pretty good because the orange one looks a little bright for me now that I've seen real pics of it. The flat black pickguard really sets it off, and the flat black control knob is sweet as well. It is the most spiny solid dial I have ever seen on a guitar and coupled with the nice firm pot, it fixes my one niggle about most Jackson/Charvels.. the real greasy volume knobs.
It has a Ping floyd which feels pretty good to me so far. I don't use Floyds at all and will be locking this one with a Tremol-No as soon as it comes in, but it for all intents and purposes seems to be just as good as a normal one to me. The fine tuners are a little stiff, but that's about the only difference I have noticed so far. The logo is even almost exactly the same.
The only problem with the whole thing is the pickguard and tremolo spring covers were put on when the paint wasn't fully dry (so the store was telling me) so if you pull them off, the paint peels. No big deal.

But all in all, I am very happy with the guitar. It sounds wicked, and I think it'll do very well in low tunings.. but more on that later, once I change the strings to my usual elixirs and play it some more.

Compared to the Charvel Natural Mahogany I had before, one of the slightly older custom shop models, this one is a little bit more my style... it is much lighter, it is not as muddy sounding, it has a neck humbucker, it somehow plays better, and it cost basically half as much once duties and shipping is figured in. It is every bit as good, for far less money.

Make no mistake - this is one of the absolute best deals going in music right now.

As usual, my big orange cat (Nash) had to check out the new toy.
DSCF4669.jpg

DSCF4671.jpg

DSCF4672.jpg

DSCF4670.jpg

DSCF4673.jpg

gratuitous picture of my whole flock plus my friend's G10 5 string bass, and my fucking sweet wallpaper
DSCF4676.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Op3a

ENGL FTW!
Reaction score
Jesus.. I can't tell you how much i love that guitar (more the red version). Congrats.
Btw, i hate you :D

WillingWell

Reaction score
By "fucking sweet wallpaper" do you mean "I don't bring girls to my house"?

Regardless, awesome guitar. 80s all over the place.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
aside from that model looking cheap, congrats dude, I bet it's killer

Sebastian

Reaction score
Congrats !.. 999$ .. thats a steal.
Looks great along your 2 Jacksons :metal:

You have a COW7 :scream: ... BAD ASS .. quess i can congrat you on that also :yesway:

Demeyes

Reaction score
I was wondering how these were going to turn out. Good to see they are nice. Things were looking a bit dodgey for Charvel for a while so at least they are back on their feet.
What happened with Matts music? I used to go on the jcf forums a lot and he was a regular there. He used to get guitars for all the board members and he handled a few of the runs they got in.

mrp5150

Call it.
Reaction score
The San Dimas neck shape is the best neck shape ever made IMO. I really want to pick up one of the black ones with Duncan pickups, but it's so similar to my ESP M-II spec wise. :(

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
you really should have bought the orange one, because you have enough black guitars!

again with the one knob action? :rant: whatever floats your boat :p

now, clips :)

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
you really should have bought the orange one, because you have enough black guitars!

again with the one knob action? :rant: whatever floats your boat :p

now, clips :)

I don't use tone knobs man :D never, ever. I'll see if I can do some clips this weekend.

I was wondering how these were going to turn out. Good to see they are nice. Things were looking a bit dodgey for Charvel for a while so at least they are back on their feet.
What happened with Matts music? I used to go on the jcf forums a lot and he was a regular there. He used to get guitars for all the board members and he handled a few of the runs they got in.

I'm not sure what exactly happened with Matt's. I guess him and J/C have some irreconcilable differences but he didn't get into specifics. He made a post in the general section of the JCF announcing he wasn't going to be dealing them anymore, and I think he's looking to ESP to fill the gap in his lineup now.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrads Cody! Looks really nice! Where in town did you find that?

Long and McQuade had it, hanging up on one of the pillars. Other than the three Charvels though, that had almost nothing else interesting, but dozens of telecasters. I swear they gear their store more and more towards old men every month.

Congrats !.. 999$ .. thats a steal.
Looks great along your 2 Jacksons :metal:

You have a COW7 :scream: ... BAD ASS .. quess i can congrat you on that also :yesway:

What can I say, Jacksons are perfect for me.. love how they sound & play. :hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
aside from that model looking cheap, congrats dude, I bet it's killer

That's actually kind of its appeal - it looks stripped down. :yesway:

I REALLY want one of the orange ones. Was it garish in person? Could you maybe snag a picture if the shop is near you? :D

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused... when you're saying orange are you guys talking about the gold tele shaped one or the red strat shaped one?

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
The other color option for Sakeido's guitar is a metallic dark orange. I believe only the rear-loaded version comes in red.

Dude, that's freakin' sweet. This gives me the truest version of GAS--a guitar I have absolutely no need for, but want anyway.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
That's actually kind of its appeal - it looks stripped down. :yesway:

I REALLY want one of the orange ones. Was it garish in person? Could you maybe snag a picture if the shop is near you? :D

The shop only got one, and it sold almost immediately.. they said the factory setup sucked, but "the guy had to have it." Here is a pic of one from the JCF...
IMG_0693.jpg

+ blue pearloid pickguard = :drew:
He has a bunch of really nice pics actually, check em out More New So-Cal Goodness - JCF Online

The other color option for Sakeido's guitar is a metallic dark orange. I believe only the rear-loaded version comes in red.

Dude, that's freakin' sweet. This gives me the truest version of GAS--a guitar I have absolutely no need for, but want anyway.

They are really good guitars. You should at least play one, and see what that does for your GAS (if you like it already, you would probably buy it on the spot) :lol: I am blown away by how nice the neck is on this one. The wiring and hardware isn't perfect, sure, but the neck is smooth and the frets are perfect, and it is less than a Grand!

')