African Blackwood fingerboard

Demo video playing one of my original guitar solos:

11411633_714726468673902_2336665007424427419_o.jpg

11312853_714726672007215_6431784317068605789_o.jpg

11417815_714727065340509_52482173095944610_o.jpg

885997_714726885340527_5381274460794285695_o.jpg

11222488_714727602007122_8766157306385200230_o.jpg

In Short:
Incredible guitar, absolute shred machine, plays like butter and sounds great. If I could go back in time I'd order 2 more for different tunings and never play anything else.

Playability:
The Cimmerian shape feels quite similar to an Ibanez RG with its forearm contour, belly carve and a large cutaway so straight away i felt right at home. The guitar plays like butter with the combination of very finely polished SS frets and thin satin neck. I tried two other guitars in the workshop and they both played exactly like mine.

Fan:
I went for a 1 inch fan because I personally think the limit of a 25.5"is C. I really like how a 26.5" feels and sounds in B, Bb and A but I don't feel as comfortable shredding on it and the high strings don't sound quite right. So the best of both worlds is a 25.5 - 26.5 fan. Tighter clearer low strings with smoother easier to shred on highs strings. Since the fan is subtle it was very easy to get used to.

Ordering:
I put down my order back in 2012. There were a couple of unforeseen delays that were out of anyones hands but Dylan was great to deal with. Quick to email back, easy to get a hold of on the phone, active on Facebook etc I picked it up in person two months ago directly from Dylan's workshop. It was great to hang out and meet the maestro in person.

Fretwork:
The fretwork is some of the best I've come across, easily on par with my Schecter Masterworks. I've tried SS frets before but never polished this well. Bending and vibrato is so much easier now since the frets are so smooth, the strings just slide with no resistance. Nickel frets feel a bit weird to play on now so I'm getting some of guitars refretted soon. Paired up with the African blackwood fingerboard means everything is super stable, smooth, clean and doesn't pick up much dirt/sweat.

Pickups:
I got Johan Lundgren to wind me a set of slanted "The One" pickups. They have Alnico V magnets and are wound to about 15k. I'm really happy how they turned out. Very modern sounding, clear across the board, no noticeable scoops or obnoxious spikes, the right balance of smooth highs and tight lows. The bridge is very Jeff Loomis sounding while the neck feels like a clearer more modern Liqufire.

Compensated Nut:
Dylan makes his own compensated nuts in his workshop. I got to see him make mine in person which was really interesting. The intonation is much better across the board compared to all my other guitars. The fan only adds to that on the low E and B.

Finish:
The spectrum finish feels great. The satin/matte neck is crazy smooth. Even more so than an oil finish or J-custom velvet finish.

Verdict:
This guitar is incredible. Its an absolute shred machine. I couldn't be happier it and I've had it 2+ months so the honeymoon period never ended. I would put Dylan as one of the top metal luthiers in the world right now. I've played a lot of custom an hi-end guitars and this is easily one of the best. If any of you guys are on the Daemoness waiting list you're in for something special. I've barely touched any of my other guitars the past 2 months.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
So...much....want....

Oh and as power metal fan I love the vid too!

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
Nice, well done. Looks like a real firebreather. That shot during the vid, where you're filming from the nut, I could see right all across the entire radius of the neck. Gave me a little chill, knowing how good it feels playing on a beautiful instrument like that.

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
I'd be glad to give a second opinion if you feel like shipping it to Texas. :fawk:

Seriously, though, I've been lurking the Daemoness thread for months just waiting for a couple of the NGD's (specifically, yours and MajMeadows). That guitar is absolutely gorgeous! Happy NGD!...How about a pic of the control cavity? Also, I'm so fvcking jealous right now.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Locran that is astonishing. Love the composition.

The Big D has amazing sustain and clarity, awesome,
great demo!!!

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Cheers guys!

I'd be glad to give a second opinion if you feel like shipping it to Texas. :fawk:

Seriously, though, I've been lurking the Daemoness thread for months just waiting for a couple of the NGD's (specifically, yours and MajMeadows). That guitar is absolutely gorgeous! Happy NGD!...How about a pic of the control cavity? Also, I'm so fvcking jealous right now.

Cheers man! The calligraphy for my guitar wasn't done when I picked it up, Dylan was waiting on some gold leaf. I'm going to head over again next month to get some more final tweaks now that the guitar has settled and maybe get it set up in Bb or A standard.

NickB11

Reaction score
Lovely guitar - congrats! I really like the fret inlays, very simple and elegant - proves that his guitar's don't need the all out inlays to look great. Either way its a win! :hbang:

Oh and great playing too!

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Love it dude, glad you finally posted the NGD. Any more vids in the work?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Lovely guitar - congrats! I really like the fret inlays, very simple and elegant - proves that his guitar's don't need the all out inlays to look great. Either way its a win! :hbang:

Oh and great playing too!

Thats my favourite part, the white binding, super tight blackwood board and the clean inlays. They work really well on a fanned fret, they might look a bit odd on a straight scale.

Apart from the fan its very straightforward for a Daemoness build. I had some big inlay ideas but scraped them in the end. It was all about getting a hi-end guitar tailored to my specific specs. I think Joe had the crazy build in this batch covered with his "Yog-Sothoth" Valkenbyrd.

Love it dude, glad you finally posted the NGD. Any more vids in the work?

Yes! I've a tech-death and a melodic-death song. I'll do the tech-death next to show the rhythm sound of this guitar.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
WOW! :eek:
Very clean looking. Can I use the word elegant to describe a guitar forged for metal? :agreed:

pott

Reaction score
Beautiful! What's going on at the headstock though, right behind the nut?

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

Are you talking about the gap between the nut and the truss rod cover? I'd assume it's that way because, whilst the end of the fretboard is slanted to suit the angle of the nut and fanned frets, the truss rod is obviously still straight and has to exit the neck in that area. The gap seems unavoidable unless a custom truss rod cover is made (which, in fairness, is easy enough to do) or no truss rod cover is used at all.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
Are you talking about the gap between the nut and the truss rod cover? I'd assume it's that way because, whilst the end of the fretboard is slanted to suit the angle of the nut and fanned frets, the truss rod is obviously still straight and has to exit the neck in that area. The gap seems unavoidable unless a custom truss rod cover is made (which, in fairness, is easy enough to do) or no truss rod cover is used at all.

No, I would say he is talking about the apparent split in the binding.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
WOW! :eek:
Very clean looking. Can I use the word elegant to describe a guitar forged for metal? :agreed:

Dylan named it the "Clean Machine".

Very nice! What kinda bridge that is?

ABM Single Saddles. They are easy to intonate, adjust the height and feel comfortable resting your palm on. No complaints there.

I think Dylan said he was still refining the fretboard after the nut to headstock so it looks like a bit of stain got into the binding join. Its cosmetic so I couldn't care. I've already put a nice big scratch on the bottom which doesn't bother me at all.