NGD DEAN RC7 mahogany

• Thread starter UltimaWeapon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
I run 4 springs in the back of mine and I only play in Eb.
Thats what i exactly do... if i remove one which would be better i cant adjust the tremolo to line up with the body... and if i try to move the screws i cant... because they are too much screwed inside the body... There must be a sollution. I asked today Rusty on his forum and he said he uses 3 springs... i dont get it :nuts:

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
MORE PICS:
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Looks great - that's definitely the RC7 I would want. Regarding the set-up - Rusty also mentioned that you should probably take it to a tech to get set-up properly....good advice man :)

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Looks great - that's definitely the RC7 I would want. Regarding the set-up - Rusty also mentioned that you should probably take it to a tech to get set-up properly....good advice man :)
Mybe but i cant take it every time when i will change the strings... But the point is that the cavity in the back isnt too long like on some Ibanezes or Jacksons when i compared. On them you can screw the screws in the back much more. Rusty uses A# tuning if im right with 9 gauge strings and the top is 60 i think... thats more logical to use only 3 springs with lower tension. Or maybe if in standard tuning its enough to buy a dadario 7 string set with a 54top string... i try it later :D But i just can only recomend to every one to try this beast out... playing on it is soooo easy. When i played on the Hellraiser it felt like the sound would be sealed in a shell (thats because my white hellraiser had a such thick finish and bindings all over) now the sound resonates so much that the guitar quakes when i hit the low string. Really i cant find words for it how great is this... maybe even better than the RC7G with the xeno finish.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Mybe but i cant take it every time when i will change the strings... But the point is that the cavity in the back isnt too long like on some Ibanezes or Jacksons when i compared. On them you can screw the screws in the back much more. Rusty uses A# tuning if im right with 9 gauge strings and the top is 60 i think... thats more logical to use only 3 springs with lower tension. Or maybe if in standard tuning its enough to buy a dadario 7 string set with a 54top string... i try it later :D But i just can only recomend to every one to try this beast out... playing on it is soooo easy. When i played on the Hellraiser it felt like the sound would be sealed in a shell (thats because my white hellraiser had a such thick finish and bindings all over) now the sound resonates so much that the guitar quakes when i hit the low string. Really i cant find words for it how great is this... maybe even better than the RC7G with the xeno finish.

Mahogany > Xeno for me at least :)

As far as the trem setup, it looks as if you're going to have to make a choice between 9's with a .60 in Bb tuning and 3 springs, or your 10's and 4.....or standard tuning....or putting in higher tension tremolo springs?

There are plenty of solutions, I'm sure you'll be ok.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
congrats on your new guitar man. But in my opinion, that guitar is ugly as sin lol. I like the grain of the mahogany on it, but thats about it...

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Mahogany > Xeno for me at least :)

As far as the trem setup, it looks as if you're going to have to make a choice between 9's with a .60 in Bb tuning and 3 springs, or your 10's and 4.....or standard tuning....or putting in higher tension tremolo springs?

There are plenty of solutions, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Today i bought some gotoh extra hard springs and my friend gave me his from Ibanez k7 (he uses tremol-no so dont need them). But i tried some combinations like 2 medium springs (they were installed in RC7) and one extra heavy. This combination is a 10% better but then i tried 2 extra heavy springs only and it wasnt enough because the cavity lenght is too short for screwing the screws and the springs cant stretch too much to get the floyd rose flat. I compared with my friends Ibanez and he has atleast 2 cm or if not even longer cavity to stretch the strings. I tried 5-7 combinations with those springs and i stood with the first variation. I also got some 9-46 strings with 60 top so ill try it later... maybe it will be better... after all its Rustys Signature :D so maybe the guitar is used to his settings.

PS: and all of you thanks for the comments :) this weekend i try some sound test if everything goes right.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
My first guitar ever had an OFR, and I've always owned one since, so for me adjusting Floyds is second nature. You should be able to get yours tuned up with the 3 springs on there, but it's a little weird getting it going at first. It'll seem like it's not working at all, or that you can't get the thing tuned up. But, once it is it'll be super easy to change strings. So, yeah, take it to a tech, ask if you can watch him set it up, but even if you can't watch, ode he gets it adjusted for your strings you should be fine for future string changes.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
This isnt my first floyd rose guitar so i think that im not a newbie in these things, but i wont like to take my new baby to a local guitar tech because i dont trust them... they can f*** up everything. I know many stories from my friends and i have my own personal experiences with them :D Anyways the guitar is in tune and it plays great just that damn floyd rose doesnt move like i want :)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats what i exactly do... if i remove one which would be better i cant adjust the tremolo to line up with the body... and if i try to move the screws i cant... because they are too much screwed inside the body... There must be a sollution. I asked today Rusty on his forum and he said he uses 3 springs... i dont get it :nuts:

Not all springs are equal, some have higher stiffness. Essentially tension generated by strings (force = (something akin to EAL*displacement) has to be balanced by springs (force = stiffness*displacement) So if you have stiffer spring, they generate more force in less range, and allow you to use less of them. IIRC Gotoh Power Springs are supposed to be a stiffer variety.

As far as setting up a floyd being a pain for you, it comes with practice. If you do swap strings, you can get tools specifically to faciliate it (a spring puller from Stew Mac is nice for straight pull). Using pliers, I am sure we have all done but can be difficult and it is easy to slip. No one wants to damage their guitar doing that. If you have to use pliers though, I like to use vice grips.

Keep in mind if you change the strings to something lighter you are going to have to intonate that sucker and without 'The Key" intonating floyds can be quite a pain.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
I changed the strings for 9 gauges and the top for 60 and its perfect now. I use 3 springs one extra hard which is connected paralel to the top string and two with medium stiffnes under the heavier spring and the floyd works easy as hell :) So if any of you wants to buy a RC7 then for A tuning buy 10s and for A# 9s... i dont know how it would work with 9s and with 54top on standard tuning but probably should just dont over do it with some "rope" type of strings like 74top XD

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man.
Those extra pics are much appreciated too, cheers :)

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Thumbs up for almost everything...
Except the bodyshape. Oh god... The horns looks funky, and the rest of the body is somewhat odd...
But not my guitar, and the rest is friggin hot, so all's good.
I would totally envy you, if the body shape didn't ruin it for me. XD

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Thumbs up for almost everything...
Except the bodyshape. Oh god... The horns looks funky, and the rest of the body is somewhat odd...
But not my guitar, and the rest is friggin hot, so all's good.
I would totally envy you, if the body shape didn't ruin it for me. XD

I think this guitar is for some sort of peaople ugly and so on, but personaly this guitar cleared all the unneccesery things. And the deep acces cutaway is one of the best part of it. I can easily hold with my Index finger the 24th fret without even touching the wood. And its kinda smaller and lighter than any guitar ive ever played. I played many of them, from schecter, ibanez, jacksons, mmebjps, high quality fenders, gibsons and this beat all of them, but thats just my personal opinion. :hbang:

')