NGD: Does this count as a Les Paul?

• Thread starter seekfreed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After selling my Ran Flying V I could not live without a guitar with Gibby scale length.
Maybe the threads about Les Pauls inspired me to pull the trigger on this LTD EC-1000.

But anyhow...

Pics first

Story second

I sold my Custom Ran (rip) Flying V a couple of weeks ago because I somehow lost my connection to this guitar in particular. The weight was also starting to bother as well (was about 4.5kg). But I just can't live without a 24.75 scale length guitar! And after seeing more and more of Les Pauls being posted here, I felt that I should try to reignite my fire for a single cut.
Not wanting to recieve another boat anchor I called a bunch of shops near me to ask if they would provide me with 3 models of the same type so I could find my one! The answer I got was that I could try out the only one they had in their shops, they would not get any more from the storage.
So I called Thomann and asked if they would weigh some and send me a light one. That's a service they would only provide for custom shop guitars though. I mean I get why they don't do it but it's still a bummer.
So I just clicked order and said fuck it, if I recieve a lemon I'll just send it back.

A couple of days later the gutiar arrived and I was pleasantly surprised that the weight was at exactly 3.5kg. The set up on the other hand was atrocious... Sky high action, sharp fret edges, poorly cut nut and and some tuning issues. But the neck was straight, the ebony fretboard looked beuatiful and it resonated in a unique way that I had to give it a chance.
What surpised me was the Korea tag and serial number. I thought all on the LTDs got moved to Indonesia ... my theory is that the EC-1000 with passive pickups get produced in South Korea and the EMG-ones in Indonesia. Do you know more?

At the end of the day I saw all those "issues" as a plus, coz I love me some tinkering with guitars! Doing a fret job is easier compared to a weight relief as well!

The mods

I have to confess that I'm a sucker for straigth string pull after the nut because it improves tuning stability so much. The string butler in combination with a newly installed TUSQ nut got rid of the previous tuning problems.
The stock Seymour Duncan SH-4 was also bit muddy and undefined so I swapped it with a BKP Polymath that I found used. Only problem was that it came in a zebra finish and messed up the aesthetics of the guitar. BKP did not want to sell me their cover by itself and wanted me to send in my pickup to get it installed for about half the price of a new one. So I said fuck it again and ordered and installed a gold cover (not wax potting it but soldering it to the PU; so far I'm not having any issues).
The standard pots were some linear made in Korea 500k pots that had the weirdest feeling to them so they had to go. I tried to install the logarithmic made in US CTS ones without remembering the size difference between American and Asian manufacturers... After I redrilled the holes I had a similar experience with the poti knobs...

Verdict

After a string change and a thorough setup this thing rips! The new and thicker strings make the less optimal fret job almost a non issue and make the guitar resonate even louder. The satin finish feels so good and never gets sticky as well.
I fell in love with the SD 59 neck and I can get a great "tele-esque" sound by lowering it just a tiny bit. The Polymath is a pretty unique pick up that I still need to fully figure out, but so far I love the clarity and string separation. I have the feeling that it needed to be quiet a bit closer to the strings after my cover install, even after I have optimized the pole pieces. Maybe you guys have similar experiences and can tell me if all of that is in my head or a real phenomenon.

At the end of the day its a great guitar for a reasonable price. What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice one! My main gigging guitar for years was an EC-1000 with EMGS, they're great machines :)

Reaction score
Wasnt that Gary Holt with ESP?
oh-oh-snap.gif

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
I put the string butler on a Greco LP that I had and it improved the tuning so well. If I ever get another LP that's the first thing I am adding.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I put the string butler on a Greco LP that I had and it improved the tuning so well. If I ever get another LP that's the first thing I am adding.
I get my guitars professionally set up if they have a tuning issue and it never comes back, ymmv.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
Great guitar!!! I had a LTD EC401 and it was amazing. It had the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF pickups in it. I only sold it to buy an actual Les Paul. The ironic thing is that I had to install an identical set of pickups in the LP to get it to sound as good as the LTD.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I've had several EC1000 guitars, Les Pauls and Eclipse. All great guitars, but the EC1000 is amazing. This thing sounds and plays really good.

I tried Tonezone, GFS, SH4, BPK Rebel Yell in my just to experiment. I think the Rebel Yell sounded best, but I ended up with EMG 81/60 in the end. Feels more like a superstrat/Les Paul hybrid to me.

Estilo

Reaction score
Interesting that it's a 2022 make (I'm assuming) but still MIK. I live in Indonesia and I say, MIK or even MIC over MII, any day.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Love the '59 in the neck, especially for sludge. It is so versatile it can be a second rhythm pickup, then you can flick it to the Polymath for the hammer blows!

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
There's a certain forum that was all about Les Paul guitars, so much that Gibson© legal came in and had them change the name of non-Gibson© forums and sections to "Single Cut Guitars" and every non-Gibson© Les Paul guitar had to be referenced as a Single Cut.

Awesome EC!

')