NGD - Douglas Grendel 725's X 2

• Thread starter Sir Euric
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Amazing the variation's in the color of the rose wood. Mine is pretty much black. Are you guys getting a bad buzz from yours (before you change electronics)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Very bad buzz. Very bad tuning instability. The neck moves in the pocket and you can hear it creak through the amp and then have to retune.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I noticed tuning instability, but I thought it was due to shite tuners. Far as I know the neck is solid....I hope. I have to track down the source of the buzz, cause right now its unplayable. Even with the gate cranked its coming thru on my palm mutes. Also the pickups seem microphonic. I can tap anywhere around the guitar and it rings.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
That's a shame, I'm sorry to hear that.

Sir Euric

8 strings of lore
Reaction score
If you guys are looking for a backup 7, don't get this one, it sucks, for me, I'm going to practice doing paintjobs on them.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Yeah, Ill just have to save up for a Rico or a J Custom.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
wow that nut is the epitome of POS:lol:

I love how sloppy the paint in the neck pocket is too:spock:

Sir Euric

8 strings of lore
Reaction score
It seemed like there was no standard of build quality between the guitars, the imperfections of one guitar was different from the other guitar.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I might get it to my tech this week. If he can anchor the neck better and eliminate the buzzing with a better cap on the tone pot and better wire I'll stick with it. If not, I'll pay the shipping and boot it.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about putting threaded inserts into the neck and using machine bolts to really get it tight.

Sir Euric

8 strings of lore
Reaction score
Another thing, the Douglas decal on the headstock is "like" a dry transfer decal, it is on top of the clear coat, so you could scratch it off if you wanted to.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
thanks for the review, just deleted from my watch list on ebay

Might want to take a second look.. you know, at threads that aren't 3 years old and from the first production run. :rolleyes:

The first few runs of these were infamously horrendous, but according to buyers from the past 2 years people have been saying alot more positive things about it...

... But that doesn't stop the Hadron 725/727 from being superior to it in basically every way possible while only being 50usd more..
Douglas Hadron 725 NA - RondoMusic.com
Douglas Hadron 727 Black Flame - RondoMusic.com

There's pretty much a cult following of us who own the hadron 7s that can vouch for them, me being one of them :lol:

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
skeleton-at-keyboard.jpg

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I had a Douglas Shadow with above average build quality for it's 89 dollar price tag. After new pickups and a setup it actually rocked. I am secretly hoping that Kurt makes some Douglas 8 String Grendels for dirt cheap so I can have an 8 stringer to rip apart and do silly things to.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I didn't like swirls back in the day, but now that my tastes have changed, I like them alot, I bought these guitars to have some fun with, try our hand at either ruining these or do something great with them. The nut looks like it was done by an 8 year old, the one on my guitar, the grooves are not straight where the strings sit, I want to also try doing candy with metal flake paint jobs like on the lowriders, candy Tangerine Orange, or candy Apple Red and some others.

Love those finishes! Yum!

Latest posts

')