NGD- EBMM JPXI 7...

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
Snagged a EBMM JPXI 7 string last week...it was a bit of a circuitous path. Had the local GC put a used 5153 50w on hold until it cleared the waiting period, realized I don't even use my Dual Recto because of my Axe FX 2, had them get me in a KM mk2 instead, which arrived with a ding in the neck because some genius shipped it with a cable in the headstock area of the case. Then decided to just bite the bullet and get this used JPXI. So glad I did. It doesn't have the Crunch Lab in the bridge position...not exactly sure what it is, maybe an Illuminator? Whatever it is they didn't hook up the coil split and I'm not 100% sold on the bridge pup, but I think I need to tweak the setup a bit to lower the bridge, which might get me the attack I'm after. It's about 90% there. Other than that it plays like a dream. Trem is surprisingly awesome. Much more stable than my JP13 that I run in D standard (probably don't run heavy enough strings on that one).

Anywho...
JPXI_1.jpg
JPXI_1.jpg
JPXI_2.jpg

Attachments

• JPXI_3.jpg
    JPXI_3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
HNGD! Nice score, can't go wrong with one of those.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
HNGD bud, I loved my JPXI 7 I put the Illuminator set in mine and thought they were fantastic.

Very solid guitar, I like to always suggest buying a 2nd trem backplate and cutting a hole in it to fit a tremel-no.

I always like to mess with tunings but hated adjusting the trem every time.

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
This one actually has a Tremel no already installed! Great idea about cutting out another backplate. I was trying to figure out a way to maybe use some of those rare earth magnets to make it easy to pop on/off, but cutting a hole in the back plate is a much better idea! I actually have access to a laser cutter. Maybe I'll laser cut one out of ebony...

So according to EBMM it was made August 20, 2013 and originally shipped with the Crunchlab/Liquifire set. This one obviously doesn't have the solid bar that the Crunchlabs have, so it's a bit of a mystery. Eventually I may pop it out and see if the backplate has a model number, but I think I can get it where I want it through some height adjustment. Bridge was originally at a super slight angle from bass to treble...which explains why the 4-1 strings were brighter and more articulate. Evening it out and lowering it a touch did a lot to give more presence to the 5-7 strings. I think some saddle height tweaking might get me where I'd like to be. On Saturday I was thinking I'd need to do a pup swap, but I'm liking it better now. It's crazy how little adjustment it takes to make a big impact on the sound. I'd like the action a touch lower anyways.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar! Love the look of the 11’s. IMO You’re not missing much from it not being a crunch lab.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Nice, I really dig those guitars. I’ve always wanted one of the older models with the huge forearm contour.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
This one actually has a Tremel no already installed! Great idea about cutting out another backplate. I was trying to figure out a way to maybe use some of those rare earth magnets to make it easy to pop on/off, but cutting a hole in the back plate is a much better idea! I actually have access to a laser cutter. Maybe I'll laser cut one out of ebony...

So according to EBMM it was made August 20, 2013 and originally shipped with the Crunchlab/Liquifire set. This one obviously doesn't have the solid bar that the Crunchlabs have, so it's a bit of a mystery. Eventually I may pop it out and see if the backplate has a model number, but I think I can get it where I want it through some height adjustment. Bridge was originally at a super slight angle from bass to treble...which explains why the 4-1 strings were brighter and more articulate. Evening it out and lowering it a touch did a lot to give more presence to the 5-7 strings. I think some saddle height tweaking might get me where I'd like to be. On Saturday I was thinking I'd need to do a pup swap, but I'm liking it better now. It's crazy how little adjustment it takes to make a big impact on the sound. I'd like the action a touch lower anyways.

I might still have a spare back plate kicking around. If I find it I'll send it to you. Music man sent me a few by accident whe I asked for a spare. I dont have the guitar anymore so I dont need it.

Edit: Just checked I found a plate for a 6 string but no 7s. It's weird I've never owned a jp6 before.

Last edited:

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Snagged a EBMM JPXI 7 string last week...it was a bit of a circuitous path. Had the local GC put a used 5153 50w on hold until it cleared the waiting period, realized I don't even use my Dual Recto because of my Axe FX 2, had them get me in a KM mk2 instead, which arrived with a ding in the neck because some genius shipped it with a cable in the headstock area of the case. Then decided to just bite the bullet and get this used JPXI. So glad I did. It doesn't have the Crunch Lab in the bridge position...not exactly sure what it is, maybe an Illuminator? Whatever it is they didn't hook up the coil split and I'm not 100% sold on the bridge pup, but I think I need to tweak the setup a bit to lower the bridge, which might get me the attack I'm after. It's about 90% there. Other than that it plays like a dream. Trem is surprisingly awesome. Much more stable than my JP13 that I run in D standard (probably don't run heavy enough strings on that one).

Anywho...View attachment 60632View attachment 60632 View attachment 60633

Beautiful guitar, always liked the JP's from EBMM.

Trem is surprisingly awesome. Much more stable than my JP13 that I run in D standard (probably don't run heavy enough strings on that one).

Yea it sounds like you need heavier gauge strings

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
That's awesome dude! I'm glad you got the JP in the end instead of repairing the KM7. Hope you enjoy it, HNGD!

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
That's awesome dude! I'm glad you got the JP in the end instead of repairing the KM7. Hope you enjoy it, HNGD!

Not gonna lie, you made a good point in my other thread about the KM7...if I was probably going to get a EBMM JP 7 string eventually, why not just go ahead and get it? Sage– though expensive – words of wisdom...lol. Part of what made me jump is that this was a pretty good price and I was able to swing 36 month financing. With the 45 day return, it was a no-brainer.

In terms of the mystery pickups, from looking at the Dimarzio site, the pole pieces indicate it's either a Deactivator, Blaze, or Evo. Unless you can get other 7 string pickups with the 14 individual hex poles...ultimately it doesn't really matter unless I decide to swap them. Then I'll need to be sure so I don't put the same thing in...lol.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, you made a good point in my other thread about the KM7...if I was probably going to get a EBMM JP 7 string eventually, why not just go ahead and get it? Sage– though expensive – words of wisdom...lol. Part of what made me jump is that this was a pretty good price and I was able to swing 36 month financing. With the 45 day return, it was a no-brainer.

In terms of the mystery pickups, from looking at the Dimarzio site, the pole pieces indicate it's either a Deactivator, Blaze, or Evo. Unless you can get other 7 string pickups with the 14 individual hex poles...ultimately it doesn't really matter unless I decide to swap them. Then I'll need to be sure so I don't put the same thing in...lol.
Well that's good to hear! Wish I could help on the pickups, but I'm no expert on pups.

BillCosby

Reaction score
It could be a blaze, blaze custom, evo, ionizer, titan, d activator, imperium, blaze neck, ionizer neck, titan neck etc....

They have a lot of all hex pole 7 string pickups. The best thing to do is take the strings off and take the pickups out.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
If you're really keen on figuring out what the pickup is, you can unscrew it and look at the back of it. Most Dimarzio's (at least all of the ones I've looked at) have the model number on the back.

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll pop it out next time I do a restring and deep clean. I have my rig tweaked to where it's sounding pretty great, so it'll stay. It will make me crazy not knowing though, so I'll pop it out at some point. The coil tap isn't working so I'll have to take it in and have them check that...

But man, it's a monster guitar. Now that I have the string height set to my liking, I don't want to put it down.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
How are you finding the 20" radius? Is it noticeable compared to the 17" on the JP13 (6 to 7 comparison notwithstanding).

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
HNGD!

Out of interest, what power conditioner and power amp have you got in the axe fx rig?

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
How are you finding the 20" radius? Is it noticeable compared to the 17" on the JP13 (6 to 7 comparison notwithstanding).

It's super comfortable. I haven't been playing the JP13 much since I made the switch to 7s last October sp I'm not super sure how to compare the two; the JP13 is definitely a bit rounder. I know it's not supposed to be compound radius, but it feels like it flattens out just a touch at the 9-12 frets. Which is probably just my imagination. The JPXI is pretty flat and on the thin side...not Ibanez thin, but still fairly thin. It's a fast neck that feels very consistent from the lower to higher registers. I'm a big fan of painted necks that use high quality paint/finish (my Parkers ruined me) and I love the glassy feel of the painted EBMM necks. My hands are on the small side and the JPXI doesn't feel like a struggle the way other 7s can at times. Since I play tech-y metal I'm doing a lot of stuff in the first 5 frets and I keep my guitar slung pretty high on my chest. With my KM7 and even the JP13, every once in awhile I'd pivot in a way that'd catch the palm side of my knuckle on my first finger and give a flash of pain like if you smacked the underside of that knuckle on something...weird I know, but it's not happened at all on the JPXI. I really can't say enough good things about the neck (and the guitar in general!).

HNGD!

Out of interest, what power conditioner and power amp have you got in the axe fx rig?

Power conditioner is a Furman PL Plus C. Not a lot to say about it..it works...lol! I do like that it has an outlet on the back where you can screw in a little gooseneck light for the back of the rack. My one complaint would be that the on/off switch for that light is out near the edge and really hard to get to. Maybe I need to move some cords to other outlets to make some room for my stubby fingers to get back there.

Power amp is a Matrix GT 800FX. It's a great amp. I'm running it in mono at the moment. At home and for shows with the Mesa 4x12 OS you see here and for practice I'm running it into an Orange cab daisy chained (to get it down to 8 ohms) into a Marshall cab with Creambacks. The Matrix is a beast...lots of volume, lots of headroom. Somewhere along the way I picked up a tip that it runs best setting the output volume around 1-2:00 and then controlling your overall volume with the Axe FX. I've been running it that way for awhile, but I remember when I first tried it this way, it definitely made a difference for the better. The thing I love most about the Matrix is it's size to power ratio. To have 800w of great sounding power in a single rack space that weighs something like 8 lbs is awesome.

')