NGD - Emerald Green JPX: From "hunk" to "CHUNK!"

• Thread starter Vede
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vede

Reaction score
HNGD!

I was wondering about that hole since I bought my JPX.

It's surprising there aren't more threads about it, since it's pretty unusual for a new guitar to "feature" something like that. Hopefully future EBMM JP owners will find this thread and be reassured that it's normal. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vede

Reaction score
One more quick photo of the guitar. Here you can see how I've raised up the pole pieces on the neck pickup to be closer to the strings. Also note the little wisp of brown grain amidst the otherwise dark ebony on the figerboard. I quite like that little detail. Almost looks like flame rising up from the LiquiFire pickup.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
You could always put some foam under the pickups to give you some adjustabilty. Really don't understand why EBMM just screws the damn pickups down like that.

Vede

Reaction score
You could always put some foam under the pickups to give you some adjustabilty. Really don't understand why EBMM just screws the damn pickups down like that.

Some believe that mounting the pickups right to the body like that leads to better tone. I'd guess that's why EBMM does it. Whatever the reason, it certainly makes setting proper pickup height difficult!

Overtone

Reaction score

Part of the EBMM approach is that they have VERY specific setup specs in mind for the guitars. The idea with the direct mount is that with a factory setup you won't need to change height. I found I could improve the sound on my Axis by raising the pups a bit. On my JPX I haven't tried yet but I find that guitar sounds pretty bassy in general and I expect it to get muddy if I move the pups closer.

Vede

Reaction score
Part of the EBMM approach is that they have VERY specific setup specs in mind for the guitars. The idea with the direct mount is that with a factory setup you won't need to change height. I found I could improve the sound on my Axis by raising the pups a bit. On my JPX I haven't tried yet but I find that guitar sounds pretty bassy in general and I expect it to get muddy if I move the pups closer.

The JPX is definitely bass-y by default, but I found that I was able to get more definition and clarity by bringing the strings and pickups closer together. But again, on my guitar the strings were a mile away from the pickups at the start.

')