NGD - Emerald Green JPX: From "hunk" to "CHUNK!"

• Thread starter Vede
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vede

Reaction score
First, a hastily snapped iPhone photo! (Only one because I'm a terrible photographer and there are already several Emerald Green JPX threads and this guitar looks just like those guitars.)

Without further ado:

Great guitar. My first JP. I love it.

Some things to note:

I purchased this guitar online from The Music Zoo and it arrived with a really wonky setup. The strings were a mile off the fretboard like it was a slide guitar. The neck was totally straight and the trem was at the proper height and angle, but the bridge saddles were up far too high. And because the pickups in the JPX are direct-mounted into the body without any foam or springs to raise them up, the mix of high strings and low pickups resulted in super weak output. I'm a hard rock and metal guy, and instead of getting "CHUNK! CHUNK! CHUNK!" under heavy gain, the guitar was sort of going "hunk, hunk, hunk" instead. There was absolutely no beef. And this guitar is totally supposed to bring the beef.

After putting some relief in the neck and bringing the saddles down, I needed to loosen the screws attached to the tremolo mounting claw in the rear of the guitar to get the bridge back to the proper angle. No problem. I removed the back plate and...saw that a small hole had been (accidentally?) drilled into the wood back there, almost like (perhaps exactly like) someone had tried to install a trem stopper. The hole was clearly drilled after the guitar was painted because the paint around the hole is chipped and there's no paint in the hole itself. Good times.

Anyway, once I got the action down to where I wanted it, the pickups were still a little farther away from the strings than I wanted them, so I brought the pole pieces up a bit. That did the trick. Now the JPX feels and plays brilliantly with plenty of "CHUNK! CHUNK! CHUNK!" When setup properly, these are truly great, extremely comfortable-to-play guitars with loads of sustain and, as expected, plenty of beef.

I received the JPX last Friday and I keep meaning to call The Music Zoo to figure out what in the hell happened to this thing - why it shipped with a terrible setup and a hole that shouldn't be there - but I haven't had time during the day. Will try tomorrow. I should point out that this is the third guitar I've purchased from Music Zoo over the years and I've never had a problem. I'm pretty confident they'll make this right.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice guitar. All EBMM guitars have that hole as that's where they hook the body for painting and prepping.

Vede

Reaction score
Nice guitar. All EBMM guitars have that hole as that's where they hook the body for painting and prepping.

Thanks. I think I know what hole you're talking about, and I think this is a different hole, but I'll post a photo tomorrow. Would be great if that's what it is, as opposed to a hole that doesn't belong there and that somewhat devalues the guitar.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Congrats on the new JP!! :)

Was this used? I've bought a couple of guitars from the Zoo before, Neither one was set up. I got the impression, with their used gear anyway, that they ship them like they get them. :shrug:

Reaction score
Congrats! I love mine.
So that makes 4 of us, now? You, me, Tommy, and ratm2020.
That actually might be the last of 'em. I'm not sure if I misinterpreted him wrong, but Pete DuBaldo was telling me that "less than 5" of these were ordered. Maybe he meant specifically through him, but man, that would be cool if all 4 in existence ended up on SSO.

By the way, every single JP I have ever had, has had that hole under the back cover. Trust me, I've had quite a few.

Fluxx

Reaction score
Isn't that hole where Ursula grabs the body for buffing?
Watch Sterlings shop tour videos on youtube and I think you'll agree thats what it is. I've had 2 JP's and both have that hole.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
As said they all have the hole. I've owned about 10 JPs and they all have it. As said its there to hold the body for the buffing robot. It nor any other tiny screw hole in a trem cavity is going to devalue a guitar anyhow. Congrats on a sweet guitar. I'm surprised all these seem to be popping up as JPXs and not XIs or 12s.

ratm2020

Reaction score
Hourglass1117 said:
Congrats! I love mine.
That actually might be the last of 'em. I'm not sure if I misinterpreted him wrong, but Pete DuBaldo was telling me that "less than 5" of these were ordered. Maybe he meant specifically through him, but man, that would be cool if all 4 in existence ended up on SSO.

Would be super cool if this is true!

Hngd sir! Glad you got it playing good. A little surprising it was in that shape though.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
Congrats man! Absolutely lovely isn't it?

I'm kinda surprised that everyone is getting the JPX and not the other models. I would also really like to know how many were actually made. It would be pretty awesome if the 4 in existence were here on SSO.

And yes the hole is normal. Both JP's had that hole.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Congrats man! Absolutely lovely isn't it?

I'm kinda surprised that everyone is getting the JPX and not the other models. I would also really like to know how many were actually made. It would be pretty awesome if the 4 in existence were here on SSO.

And yes the hole is normal. Both JP's had that hole.

I think the green looks SO much better with the black hardware on the JPX. :scream:

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
I think the green looks SO much better with the black hardware on the JPX. :scream:

The standard chrome hardware looks pretty good in person with the green. My buddy has a loaded JP6 in emerald sparkle and the chrome and green go together surprisingly well.

But in my opinion the black hardware does compliment the guitar nicely. :yesway:

Vede

Reaction score
Congrats on the new JP!! :)

Was this used? I've bought a couple of guitars from the Zoo before, Neither one was set up. I got the impression, with their used gear anyway, that they ship them like they get them. :shrug:

Nope, sold as new. I wonder if they have an on-site tech. Perhaps not.

Vede

Reaction score
Congrats! I love mine.

By the way, every single JP I have ever had, has had that hole under the back cover. Trust me, I've had quite a few.

Good to know about the little hole always being there. A bit odd. I assumed everyone used the neck-pocket holes to secure a body for painting.

I think so many of us have these because SSO is where we learned of their existence! I'd been wanting a newer JPX with SS frets for some time, but the ones I'd regularly see available online were often with the old trem, and therefore I couldn't be sure they had SS frets. When I saw the new Emerald Green, it was easy to pull the trigger.

Albek

Reaction score
Wow......great axe...I've never seen this color option, but is absolutely amazing I love green guitars!

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
Guitars beautiful man, my so-cal is a similar color and Im a huge fan.. Just for the record, Im in and out of the music zoo all the time and they are usually pretty good at keeping their stuff setup.. Although I wouldnt be surprised if they just straighten the neck when they come in, and the saddles being high were a factory mistake.. Glad everything worked out though and you're loving it ;)

Overtone

Reaction score
HNGD!

I was wondering about that hole since I bought my JPX.

')