NGD: ESP Custom Shop Swamp Ash AW-7

• Thread starter AlexWadeWC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Kind of a belated NGD as I got this last week when we were in LA on tour but it's better late than never!

I ordered this custom AW-7 a year and a half ago and was pleasantly surprised when I found out it was finally finished and would be delivered to me at our LA show.

Pictures (excuse shitty iPhone 4S pictures):

35ceow2.jpg

1p87b8.jpg

t0mhcw.jpg

219qkpg.jpg

Specs:

-Solid swamp ash body
-Maple Set-Thru neck
-26.25" scale
-Ebony fretboard
-Sperzel locking tuners
-Hipshot bridge
-Dimarzio D-Activator bridge and neck pickups
-Matte black sides and back, matte black binding
-Padauk Brown stain on body and headstock top

I nick named this one "Old No.7" since the brown stain reminds me of whiskey and well... it's a 7 string haha.

Could not be happier with this guitar. Aesthetically it came out immaculate. I have a thing for natural wood grain being exposed on guitars and they really nailed the stain on this one bringing out the grain. It's not too light or too dark, really just perfect.

Playability wise it's a dream. The neck is not too thick or too thin, just the right amount of meat on it for me personally. I had it modeled after the Horizon NT-7 neck. And the back of the neck is ridiculously smooth from the matte finish.

Although the heel doesn't look like anything special in the pictures, in person you can tell it's quite different. It almost feels really KxK like in nature. It is definitely a smaller heel than a standard neck through ESP. I went with a Set-Thru neck on this one because I've always liked the look/feel of regular Neck Through but wanted the body wood to remain 1 piece for tonal principles.

Tonally I can't comment too much as I haven't got the chance to play it plugged up. There's really no time I can just "jam" on my setup on tour and I don't want to play it live as I just got it and fear it getting dinged up from using it on stage. But acoustically the guitar is quite loud with a lot of snap to it (due to the ebony board and swamp ash body) so I can imagine plugged up it's going to be ridiculous.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Straight Baller!

Must be incredible to get a guitar like that made for yourself. HNGD!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
WOW!
That is absolutely gorgeous. Natural wood stains rule :bowdown:

Let us know how she sounds when you finally get a chance to plug her in!

1longhorn

Reaction score
Wow. That is beautiful. That black and brown combo is so nice as you have it. That should be the next guitar in you Signature Series. With appropriate specifications and price as your AW-7. Very nice indeed. Congrats. Thanks for sharing that.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Gorgeous!!! Happy NGD!

What do you think of the 26.25" vs 26.5? I want my next custom 7 to be a 26.25 scale.

Insinfier

Reaction score
As an owner of the LTD AW-7, this needs to become a full production ESP.

Right ....ing now. :metal:

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
HNGD ! and does the extended scale on this one mean we'll soon see a scale length change on your production signature model ? IIRC you mentioned that you considered going baritone when you bought a Stephen Carpenter Tele...

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Uuggghhh....(in a good way) Reminds me of a red apocalypse type finish. Sign me up for a production model :agreed:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Wow, that's so slick!! Love the Padauk Brown finish with the black. Big congrats, man! :)

')