NGD ESP Kiso Horizon 1.

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I’ll update later with more details, but I just got this yesterday for right about $2,000. Has a K serial number, made in 2012. Alder body with a maple neck, the Duncan distortion was traded out for a Dimebucker but the seller included the original pickup. Hot rails in the neck and has an upgraded brass big tremolo block. Other than that, I believe it’s stock. Does anyone know where to get a replacement tremolo cavity cover? For whatever reason it wasn’t included.

Weighs 8lbs and just feels real solid. Whenever people say that ESP’s made in Japan in the custom shop have some high quality feel and mojo to them they aren’t kidding. These are the real deal. The quality is every bit as high as my USA made PRS and similar in feel to my old custom shop Jackson Rhoads. Though I prefer the way the ESP feels and plays to the Jackson (better fretwork).

So far I actually like the Dimebucker in this one, tight, aggressive, and harmonics galore. Rail pickups aren’t something I’ve experienced too much. But I loved my X2N that I had many years back in said Rhoads. I don’t have any immediate plans to switch out the bridge pickup, but may try the distortion or even a SD Custom someday. It sounds pretty good so far! It sustains very well and just feels really solid and high quality.

The guitar came with some undisclosed damage to it, so I’m trying to get a partial refund for those issues. But unless the seller isn’t willing to budge, I’m going to keep it. The finish is hard to capture, it’s the kind of finish that is very deep and shows off many shades of red. Beautiful. The fretwork is the best I have ever touched. I will just play the hell out of it and get it refinished a custom
metallic way farther down the road.
Nothing too major as far as dings but there’s a few small ones. TLDR if you don’t own one Japanese made ESP you’re depriving yourself of some of the best guitars made.
740F416A-64A5-43C6-BFEE-12006AB0B05A.jpeg
2A72121B-DE25-4C46-9D9D-DF9329940F8A.jpeg
B83831C6-B942-4AEA-8383-21027588EA4B.jpeg
ADCCEB08-C05B-401F-B418-195036FCA61A.jpeg
D852E4B5-0DD3-4EB5-B31E-E91CE64B2C02.jpeg
1FEB228B-4075-4225-945A-270FCA5A51B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 44C19C49-B710-4E23-B768-8DDB7FA36E77.jpeg
    44C19C49-B710-4E23-B768-8DDB7FA36E77.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Congrats man! I grabbed another Horizon this week that came with a TB-5 in the bridge and it's maybe the best sounding of all the Horizons I've had so far. That pickup has been a great fit. Simultaneously got another ESP today with a screamin' demon in the bridge and that sounds amaaazing (but I don't know how much is the guitar, or what the woods would be). So if you swap, maybe worth considering.

But ya, that red's a great color. Looks kind of blah in photos but great in person.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Congrats man! I grabbed another Horizon this week that came with a TB-5 in the bridge and it's maybe the best sounding of all the Horizons I've had so far. That pickup has been a great fit. Simultaneously got another ESP today with a screamin' demon in the bridge and that sounds amaaazing (but I don't know how much is the guitar, or what the woods would be). So if you swap, maybe worth considering.

But ya, that red's a great color. Looks kind of blah in photos but great in person.
I noticed that some Horizon’s are made with mahogany, some with alder. But so far I’m pleased with the Dimebucker for metal. Though in my short time owning the guitar, it doesn’t seem very versatile.

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice axe! all the best with it. I'm in the market for another E-II Eclipse (regrettably sold one).

I had an E-II Horizon (Reindeer Blue), and the build quality, along with the overall finish is on another level...

I just really struggled with the neck on the Horizon. It felt thick and wide, and it really threw my fretting hand off, and I don't have small hands...

I really wish i could feel comfortable with them, because they have the most amazing finishes...

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Grats! Curved top superstrats are even less of "my thing" than the standard ones, but even I can't not say this is cool on account of the finish combined with the angles on it.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Congrats! I have been hoping japanese CS was a bit above a usa prs to be honest.
Thanks. It feels very different than my PRS, the fretwork is certainly better than PRS. But the PRS is more versatile out of the box (though a pickup change could take care of that). I’ll say that at this point that the ESP also has better attention to detail. The binding is flawless, whereas my PRS has some paint bleed on the natural binding. If I had to pick which I enjoy playing better. The ESP wins by a good margin.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. It feels very different than my PRS, the fretwork is certainly better than PRS. But the PRS is more versatile out of the box (though a pickup change could take care of that). I’ll say that at this point that the ESP also has better attention to detail. The binding is flawless, whereas my PRS has some paint bleed on the natural binding. If I had to pick which I enjoy playing better. The ESP wins by a good margin.

What finish is the prs? For some reason they let the red bleed on the mccarty sunburst, but not other finishes. I dont get it :lol:.

What are the tells of better fretwork on the ESP?

There was a 2020 and 2021 horizon usa on my canadian forum - were they eclipses I woulda tried one out.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Dope! I saw this on eBay, and was like, no fucking way, of course this goes up after I just bought another Strat. Congrats to you!

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
What finish is the prs? For some reason they let the red bleed on the mccarty sunburst, but not other finishes. I dont get it :lol:.

What are the tells of better fretwork on the ESP?

There was a 2020 and 2021 horizon usa on my canadian forum - were they eclipses I woulda tried one out.
My PRS is a 2020 model in grey black. Both my PRS and ESP have the rolled off fretboard edges that make them both feel broken in. But the ESP has frets that feel like stainless steel, very smooth to bend on. Hardly any resistance, the fret ends are more rounded and somewhat balled at the ends (scope the neck picture closely). At this point we're comparing some of the best guitars available on the market, so while the difference may not be huge. There is still a difference. That said I have no plans to sell my PRS, I love it's versatility. Now my 7 string LTD on the other hand, that one I will probably sell.

Last edited:

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Beautiful. I love ESP originals. I'm eyeing up my third as we speak!!

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
That is one of my favourite guitars I look forward to playing one day. Super nice guitar.

How do you like the pickups now? The hot rails neck?

Congrats!

Latest posts

')