NGD: ESP LTD Deluxe Phoenix 1000 (vintage white w/Duncans)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I bought a new guitar a couple months ago and finally found time to make a NGD post here. It's an ESP LTD Deluxe Phoenix 1000 in vintage white with Seymour Duncans. Definitely one of the more unique looking guitars I've ever owned but as soon as I saw the release pics of this guitar, I just knew that I HAD to have one! So I finally got one and I'm super happy with it!

ESP now makes their LTD guitars both in Korea and Indonesia. So these days it's sort of a gamble if you get one of the guitars. It will either be made in Korea or Indonesia in a lot of cases. Until now all my LTD guitars were made in Korea and overall I've had very positive experiences with those guitars. The reputation of the factory in Korea is just great tbh. I knew that this time there would be a big chance that my guitar would be built in Indonesia and I won't lie, I was slightly nervous about that. It's just new terrain for me I guess. No one likes quality issues on their brand new guitar and I had read some mixed stories about guitars from Indonesia. Luckily this guitar is flat out AMAZING! Seriously, in terms of quality it's right up there with my other LTD's (or the ESP's I've had or played honestly).

The guitar looks great with no flaws, the wood is good so it's nice and resonant, also unplugged. It's not a lightweight guitar but I like that because it tends to contribute to a good and solid tone. Just something that I prefer. The neck feels nice and smooth and the frets are leveled, polished and rounded off really nicely so pretty flawless! Overall the quality is just super high, so based off this guitar I'm not really afraid anymore to get LTD's (or PRS SE's) that were built in Indonesia. Quick note: I recently watched the PRS SE factory tour in Indonesia and it was REALLY impressive... So I really want an Indonesian built PRS soon!

The Seymour Duncan Custom and Phat Cat pickups are great too and they definitely contribute to the gorgeous and versatile tone of this guitar! The Phat Cat does sound nice and fat and the custom is a great allround pickup for any genre. A huge plus was also that the coil-split on the Custom sounds really convincing!

I did make a little demo/review video to supplement this post, just so you guys can hear how the guitar sounds through a couple of tube amps (Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall JCM 800 Studio SC20H, Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 and EVH 5150 III EL34 50W):

Does anybody else here own a Phoenix? How do you like it? Also, where was it built and how is the overall quality? Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Damn that tone through the Marshall is amazing!

I agree, sounds pretty good! I've been getting more into the classic/mid gain crunch tones lately and that SC20H does not disappoint. I'm getting a Wangs 2204HW soon and I can't wait to try the Phoenix through that!

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I agree, sounds pretty good! I've been getting more into the classic/mid gain crunch tones lately and that SC20H does not disappoint. I'm getting a Wangs 2204HW soon and I can't wait to try the Phoenix through that!

i shouldn’t say this out loud here, but mid gain or higher gain crunch tones are what makes the sun shine and the birds fly :)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
i shouldn’t say this out loud here, but mid gain or higher gain crunch tones are what makes the sun shine and the birds fly :)

Yeah man. I love high gain stuff and I always will but I sometimes grow a little tired of how obsessed everyone is about just 'chugging'. It's good to explore different types of tones too. Variety is the spice of life as they say! :)

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Great review - looking forward to watching this video when I get home.
I too have been watching these since they were announced. I think they're stunning, and the longer scale length is better to me than most Firebird style guitars!
How would you describe the neck shape/thickness?
By the way, I'm a big fan of your channel. Your amp demos helped me decide what amp to buy, so perhaps its dangerous to my wallet to watch this guitar demo!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Great review - looking forward to watching this video when I get home.
I too have been watching these since they were announced. I think they're stunning, and the longer scale length is better to me than most Firebird style guitars!
How would you describe the neck shape/thickness?
By the way, I'm a big fan of your channel. Your amp demos helped me decide what amp to buy, so perhaps its dangerous to my wallet to watch this guitar demo!

Thanks! I'm not great at describing neck shapes but I guess it feels similar to my eclipses? Smooth and very comfortable :)

Your tone is always great!

:minions:

Cheers! :)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
That looks and sounds incredible - I've been GASing for the red one since they were announced.

Is there any neck dive with it?

The red one also seems cool, not a huge fan of those Fishmans but I guess with this guitar they could work! I haven't tried this guitar standing up so I don't know about neck dive. The body is pretty heavy though so I don't think it would be a problem...

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Apparently they are a true single coil P90 in a humbucker housing. I didn’t even notice the single row of pole pieces at first. I think it’s interesting how ESP uses different pickup combos for different colors. Kind of makes each color of the same model more unique it seems.

Great demo as usual! You got some really good tones and it looks really comfortable to play. I really like the white with gold hardware. The new Arctic Metal series looks really cool as well, but that’s a whole different vibe. I’d take one of these over a Firebird any day of the week.

Pat

Reaction score
I guess? I'm not sure... It's probably worth looking up. They sound great though!
Yeah they sound really good in the video. I've been drawn to the P90 sound within the last year or so, so good to know there's a version that fits in humbucker routes!

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Glad ESP brought back the Phoenix, they have such a cool look. The pickup config here seems like a homage to Jeff Hickey's ESP CS model too.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Nice tones there!

Also, I've stumbled onto your channel more than once and didn't realize you were a member here. I'm pretty sure every guitarist has, at most, 3 degrees of separation from SS.org.