NGD ESP LTD EC-1008 Evertune (8-String)

• Thread starter PBC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Overview: So I've been curious about the Evertune system for a while and I finally made the purchase and here we are.

Specs (courtesy of musician friend):

Body
  • Body shape: Single cutaway
  • Body type: Solid body
  • Body material: Solid wood
  • Top wood: Maple
  • Body wood: Mahogany
  • Body finish: Gloss
  • Orientation: Right handed
Neck
  • Neck shape: Thin U
  • Neck wood: 3-piece Mahogany
  • Joint: Set-through
  • Scale length: 26.5 in.
  • Truss rod: Yes
  • Neck finish: Gloss
Fretboard
  • Material: Macassar Ebony
  • Radius: 19.69 in.
  • Fret size: Extra-jumbo
  • Number of frets: 24
  • Inlays: Pearl block
  • Nut width: 2.12 in. (54 mm) Molded
Pickups
  • Configuration: HH
  • Neck: 60-8H
  • Middle:
  • Bridge: 81-8H
  • Brand: EMG
  • Active or passive pickups: Active
  • Series or parallel: Parallel
  • Piezo: No
  • Active EQ: No
  • Special electronics: None
Controls
  • Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, master tone
  • Pickup switch: 3-way
  • Coil tap or split:
  • Kill switch: No
Hardware
  • Bridge type: Fixed
  • Bridge design: Evertune (F model)
  • Tailpiece: String thru body
  • Tuning machines: Grover
  • Color: Black
Personal Setup:

Tuning (low to high)
:
ADGCEADG (A Standard + 2 high strings, A1-G4)

Pick: V-Pick Insanity (11.85mm)

Gauges (w/ approximate tension):
.010 (24.74)
.013 (23.47)
.019w (24.44)
.025 (23.23)
.032 (24.07)
.044 (24.56)
.058 (24.29)
.078 (24.11)

Review:
To answer some pressing questions. The largest string gauge this accepts is a .078, I tried to use an .080 for the low A (what I usually use) but it didn't take. However, I believe it could fit a Kalium .079. I contacted Evertune regarding a pre-drilled saddle, but they don't do that process, bummer.

As noted above I like my tension high, around 12.5-13s for E standard on 24.75 and 25.5. The hope was, as a heavy picker, that I wouldn't have to retune my guitar after playing for 10 minutes. I can tell you that Evertune keeps it in tune almost exact. I use a SR Turbo Tuner that is accurate within +/- .02 of a cent.

There are some idiosyncrasies with the Evertune. One is that it tends to neutral out pitch shifting that happens when you hit the strings or have loose tension (for others). It makes rhythm playing very even, it sounds pretty clinical. One of the things to get used to is that, in my opinion, driving downpicking riffs don't have quit the same "drive velocity" as they do on regular guitars. Makes you realize that some "mistakes" add to character. For example, if you want to accent part of a triplet (hit really hard), the evertune will negate it. Now that I'm used to it, I appreciate it's consistency, but some people may not like it.

Bends takes some time to get used to. Even at the closest to Zone 3, it takes slightly more bend distance to make a string go half step, full step, ect. than a regular guitar. There's kind of this neutral zone when you start bending before it starts to pitch up. Once it took a couple days to get the zone at the cusp of zone 3, it now bends like my regular guitars. If you do unorthodox bending, like pushing the string into the fret board for quarter tone ect, unless you have a scallop, the evertune won't pick it up.

Chords are awesome, they sound even more in tune than the regular guitar, although I'm not sure how the tension can contribute to intonation on fretted chords.

Tuning stability: I found that with the turbo tuner, the guitar went ever so slightly flat after a week. Although I doubt it would register on another tuner. The thing that needs more adjusting is the bend zone, because of how Zone 2 works, you may need to adjust it often. It's a problem more for lead players than pure rhythm. Also, because you can set the bend sensitivity, you may get OCD like myself trying to make sure all the bending capabilities feel the same across all the strings.

ESP Stuff: The 20" radius is awesome, the fretwork (now that I set the action low) is tied with the best I've had for a non USA made guitar. The neck profile is a Flat U, it's about medium thickness thing 20.8mm- 22mm. Single cuts are comfortable and sexy, especially in ERG. 26.5" 8 strings feel great.

Lastly: I'm very happy with my purchase. Going forward I'm going to get Evertune models on my future guitars (if the tuning allows it) since it does everything I want now I figured out how to set it up. The big downside is that you can't use larger strings since that's where this would probably shine. I'll guess I'll stick to my hardtail for my .092 F#.

Attachments

• IMG_1002-min.jpg
    IMG_1002-min.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1003-min.jpg
    IMG_1003-min.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1004-min.jpg
    IMG_1004-min.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1002-min.jpg
    IMG_1002-min.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 181

Bearitone

Reaction score
Evertune says their saddles can be drilled to 3/32” which is 0.09375 or .094 if you round it. So you could probably throw that .092 in there if you want :D

And great review. Thanks for the thorough write up

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Evertune says their saddles can be drilled to 3/32” which is 0.09375 or .094 if you round it. So you could probably throw that .092 in there if you want :D

And great review. Thanks for the thorough write up

I'll see what I can do. The recommend a drill press, but I don't have one. I'll probably buy another saddle and try it that way.

The string thru is designed is angled, so I'll attempt to drill from the 'ferrule' to the top piece.

evertune__web_products__saddle_modules_chrome.jpg

DTx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello PBC,

I'm thinking about buying this guitar, could you please help me with my questions:
do you still have this guitar? are frets SS? did you widen the nut grooves for bigger gauges? how is the action?

Thank you!

Two Panthers

B8 Bomber
Reaction score
Congrats, ESP are my fave [duh] and IMHO the best production AND customs you can get so
HNGD!

Overview: So I've been curious about the Evertune system for a while and I finally made the purchase and here we are.

Specs (courtesy of musician friend):

Body
  • Body shape: Single cutaway
  • Body type: Solid body
  • Body material: Solid wood
  • Top wood: Maple
  • Body wood: Mahogany
  • Body finish: Gloss
  • Orientation: Right handed
Neck
  • Neck shape: Thin U
  • Neck wood: 3-piece Mahogany
  • Joint: Set-through
  • Scale length: 26.5 in.
  • Truss rod: Yes
  • Neck finish: Gloss
Fretboard
  • Material: Macassar Ebony
  • Radius: 19.69 in.
  • Fret size: Extra-jumbo
  • Number of frets: 24
  • Inlays: Pearl block
  • Nut width: 2.12 in. (54 mm) Molded
Pickups
  • Configuration: HH
  • Neck: 60-8H
  • Middle:
  • Bridge: 81-8H
  • Brand: EMG
  • Active or passive pickups: Active
  • Series or parallel: Parallel
  • Piezo: No
  • Active EQ: No
  • Special electronics: None
Controls
  • Control layout: Volume 1, volume 2, master tone
  • Pickup switch: 3-way
  • Coil tap or split:
  • Kill switch: No
Hardware
  • Bridge type: Fixed
  • Bridge design: Evertune (F model)
  • Tailpiece: String thru body
  • Tuning machines: Grover
  • Color: Black
Personal Setup:

Tuning (low to high)
:
ADGCEADG (A Standard + 2 high strings, A1-G4)

Pick: V-Pick Insanity (11.85mm)

Gauges (w/ approximate tension):
.010 (24.74)
.013 (23.47)
.019w (24.44)
.025 (23.23)
.032 (24.07)
.044 (24.56)
.058 (24.29)
.078 (24.11)

Review:
To answer some pressing questions. The largest string gauge this accepts is a .078, I tried to use an .080 for the low A (what I usually use) but it didn't take. However, I believe it could fit a Kalium .079. I contacted Evertune regarding a pre-drilled saddle, but they don't do that process, bummer.

As noted above I like my tension high, around 12.5-13s for E standard on 24.75 and 25.5. The hope was, as a heavy picker, that I wouldn't have to retune my guitar after playing for 10 minutes. I can tell you that Evertune keeps it in tune almost exact. I use a SR Turbo Tuner that is accurate within +/- .02 of a cent.

There are some idiosyncrasies with the Evertune. One is that it tends to neutral out pitch shifting that happens when you hit the strings or have loose tension (for others). It makes rhythm playing very even, it sounds pretty clinical. One of the things to get used to is that, in my opinion, driving downpicking riffs don't have quit the same "drive velocity" as they do on regular guitars. Makes you realize that some "mistakes" add to character. For example, if you want to accent part of a triplet (hit really hard), the evertune will negate it. Now that I'm used to it, I appreciate it's consistency, but some people may not like it.

Bends takes some time to get used to. Even at the closest to Zone 3, it takes slightly more bend distance to make a string go half step, full step, ect. than a regular guitar. There's kind of this neutral zone when you start bending before it starts to pitch up. Once it took a couple days to get the zone at the cusp of zone 3, it now bends like my regular guitars. If you do unorthodox bending, like pushing the string into the fret board for quarter tone ect, unless you have a scallop, the evertune won't pick it up.

Chords are awesome, they sound even more in tune than the regular guitar, although I'm not sure how the tension can contribute to intonation on fretted chords.

Tuning stability: I found that with the turbo tuner, the guitar went ever so slightly flat after a week. Although I doubt it would register on another tuner. The thing that needs more adjusting is the bend zone, because of how Zone 2 works, you may need to adjust it often. It's a problem more for lead players than pure rhythm. Also, because you can set the bend sensitivity, you may get OCD like myself trying to make sure all the bending capabilities feel the same across all the strings.

ESP Stuff: The 20" radius is awesome, the fretwork (now that I set the action low) is tied with the best I've had for a non USA made guitar. The neck profile is a Flat U, it's about medium thickness thing 20.8mm- 22mm. Single cuts are comfortable and sexy, especially in ERG. 26.5" 8 strings feel great.

Lastly: I'm very happy with my purchase. Going forward I'm going to get Evertune models on my future guitars (if the tuning allows it) since it does everything I want now I figured out how to set it up. The big downside is that you can't use larger strings since that's where this would probably shine. I'll guess I'll stick to my hardtail for my .092 F#.
GREATTTTTTTT REIVEW! I think because its a 26.5” the evertune is actually a great thing, but I’m not sure if i could use it myself, as much as i want to.. like a multi scale
I wanted an evertune but its details like this that make me convinced, it is a superior system for a certain style. I use a lot of extreme speed, vibrato, bends, and i used to use Floyd’s, so this sounds like id be fighting with my own bridge....ill stick with hipshot s for now but thanks so much . I hope you enjoy it, it sounds like its for you!

and a 92 F# on what scale length ?

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello PBC,

I'm thinking about buying this guitar, could you please help me with my questions:
do you still have this guitar? are frets SS? did you widen the nut grooves for bigger gauges? how is the action?

Thank you!

I currently have 2 of them. Frets are not Stainless Steel. No need to widen the nut since this thing can't accept ridiculous gauges. I realize I wrote this review during a period where I was trying to see how heavy I could go. I've since backed off. And for this tuning now on 26.5" I use

ADGCFadg
<Note>: <Gauge><(lbs)>
G: 009 (20.04)
D: 012 (20)
A: 017w (19.44)
F: 022 (20.36)
C: 030 (21.44)
G: 040 (20.51)
D: 054 (20.71)
A: 072 (20.7)

Actions such a personal thing with no defined standards so I can't really comment. I have been able to get it low but I use relatively mid-action no buzzing on either of them.

1.6/1.7mm Treble Side
2.20/2.25mm Bass side

If I was tuning to F# or lower it would be 3mm +

Congrats, ESP are my fave [duh] and IMHO the best production AND customs you can get so
HNGD!

GREATTTTTTTT REIVEW! I think because its a 26.5” the evertune is actually a great thing, but I’m not sure if i could use it myself, as much as i want to.. like a multi scale
I wanted an evertune but its details like this that make me convinced, it is a superior system for a certain style. I use a lot of extreme speed, vibrato, bends, and i used to use Floyd’s, so this sounds like id be fighting with my own bridge....ill stick with hipshot s for now but thanks so much . I hope you enjoy it, it sounds like its for you!

and a 92 F# on what scale length ?

For an F# on a 26.5 Dean ML8. That was for testing purposes I would probably use an 80 (around 17.88lbs) on that scale now, I little light but thicker strings and low-low tunings are really fickle. The NYXL Strandberg sets comes with an amazing (only available through the pack) .084 gauge string about (19.56lbs) on 26.5" so I may give that a shot if I feel the need. Evertune is definitely a personal thing, I think tuning is as annoying as ever, but a lot of the "mistakes" removed by the Evertune make it sound clinical. Its good for practice and recording if you want that sound. One thing I didn't mention up above is that it stays in-tune due to shifting the tension between the spring and the tuner. What this means though, is that even if you don't tune the guitar. You have to potentially redial the bend zones everytime you play which is basically the same thing as tuning the guitar anyway. The most annoying thing about the guitar is that its possible for strings to have different bend characteristics. Like one string takes 1/4 of a bend before it kicks in, but another may take a 1/2 step bend distance to reach the same amount. That's what will happen if you don't recalibrate it after a while. It's just how the system works. I found that a Double-Locking system, like a Floyd, is really the best of both worlds, you get most of the tuning stability. With the nuances and evenness string bending of a normal guitar.