NGD: ESP Original Arrow (Black Andromeda)

• Thread starter Derek Spear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
After an 11-month wait, my ESP Arrow just arrived (many thanks to Sweetwater). I originally planned on ordering a Jackson KV2 USA Select (as I'd been GASing for a new V for quite a while), but when I got the price quote...I figured I may as well go the extra step for the ESP. :D

IMG_4327.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
Eleven months actually doesn't seem too bad for a made-to-order ESP.

Plus, it's fucking awesome. Impossible to go wrong with ESP. Go forth and shred!
Nope, wasn't bad at all...in fact, the extra time allowed me to save more.

Thanks! This is my first high-end ESP that isn't a Hetfield signature; it's pretty sweet thus far.

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
Congrats! The Black Andromeda Arrow was my dream guitar basically since it came out. I had plenty of other high-end guitars before I finally got one back in December last year, but any time I had the money and was in the market for one, there wasn't one available and I always wound up with something else. I suppose I could have placed an order as well, but I didn't have the patience to wait. Just two months ago I got another arrow in their Sugilite finish and planned to sell the first one to pay for it, but I seriously think I'll wind up keeping both since I wanted one in the Black Andromeda finish for so many years. These are some of the best guitars I've ever played.
20220919_151829[1192].jpg

Derek Spear

Reaction score
Congrats! The Black Andromeda Arrow was my dream guitar basically since it came out. I had plenty of other high-end guitars before I finally got one back in December last year, but any time I had the money and was in the market for one, there wasn't one available and I always wound up with something else. I suppose I could have placed an order as well, but I didn't have the patience to wait. Just two months ago I got another arrow in their Sugilite finish and planned to sell the first one to pay for it, but I seriously think I'll wind up keeping both since I wanted one in the Black Andromeda finish for so many years. These are some of the best guitars I've ever played.
Nice, how are you liking the Seymour Duncan pickups? I'm debating going with my beloved EMG 81/60 set, but I figure I'll give the Blackouts a try for a while. I'm also debating the stainless steel upgrade parts on the Floyd Rose...not sure, yet.

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
Nice, how are you liking the Seymour Duncan pickups? I'm debating going with my beloved EMG 81/60 set, but I figure I'll give the Blackouts a try for a while. I'm also debating the stainless steel upgrade parts on the Floyd Rose...not sure, yet.
I'm slightly indifferent toward the Blackouts. They have a LOT of output and low end, almost too much, but not quite as bad as some people say. They're pretty nice for metal, which is like 90% of what I do anyway, but still almost a bit much even for that application. I have heard the comment a lot that they sound like the "old" EMGs, which for whatever reason people seem to really like, so that's a bit of an interesting anecdote. Not sure how true that is though.

Since I have two Arrows with the same pickups, I'd like to put EMGs in one of them since the Blackouts also use the quick connect system and won't need to be re-wired. I have an 81/60 in my Hanneman sig, but I also kind of want to try the Het Set or a 57/66 set. I'm worried they won't give me the same output as the 81/60 that I really like, but I also hear they are much more versatile and assuming still great for metal. So we'll see. Pretty sure I'll keep the Blackouts in at least one of them though.

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
Oh, and as far as the stainless steel upgrades - I wouldn't necessarily bother with that. I bought my Black Andromeda Arrow used and the last owner installed the titanium hardware you see on there now. But I wouldn't have chosen the plain silver myself. It did, however, give me the idea to get the purple anodized titanium hardware for the Sugilite Arrow, which I think looks insane on that guitar. If I were to upgrade the Black Andromeda, I think it would be cool to do a mix of blue, green, and purple anodized titanium hardware to kind of pseudo-mimic the color shift. Only issue is that I don't think you can order the parts individually, just in sets. And they aren't cheap at all, especially for what they are, so that probably isn't feasible unless you have 2 other guitars you really want to use them for.

That's just my idea though. If you like the look of the silver, then it definitely won't hurt the guitar to either go with the titanium or the stainless steel.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
I'm slightly indifferent toward the Blackouts. They have a LOT of output and low end, almost too much, but not quite as bad as some people say. They're pretty nice for metal, which is like 90% of what I do anyway, but still almost a bit much even for that application. I have heard the comment a lot that they sound like the "old" EMGs, which for whatever reason people seem to really like, so that's a bit of an interesting anecdote. Not sure how true that is though.
Good to know. I felt the same way about the 707s that I had in my Horizon FR-7...they were a bit much compared to the 81-7. I'll give the Blackouts a try, but I suspect I'll end up going with the 81/60 as I really like that combo as well.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Would love to try one of these some day. Enjoy!

Derek Spear

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the Arrow is the  superior V. Any attempts to say otherwise, please file that in File 13.

Very, very, happy new guitar day, homie.
Yeah, I started out mostly playing King Vs, and I've typically preferred its symmetrical shape over the Rhodes V (for example). However, I've recently started to like the more modern and aggressive look of the Arrow. I also really like the beveled edges...especially on the top wing, as it does make the guitar much more comfortable to play.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! Beautiful finish. I'm also (still) on the symmetrical train, but Arrows are a pretty cool evolution of the Rhodes. Mille Petrozza of Kreator has a custom symmetrical V with the Arrow appointments, so maybe there it'll become a standard shape someday.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
:wag::wub:
WONDERFUL!
HNGD!

In January I planned to pick an LTD Arrow Violet Andromeda by the end of this year, but the price skyrocketed from around € 1200 to € 1650 and went out of my budget, or better, now it costs way too much than what it's worth imho considering it's an Indo instrument

Latest posts

')