NGD: Fender Limited Edition FSR American Pro Strat HSS w/ Roasted Maple Neck - Daphne Bl

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
********** UPDATE **********************

Randomly noticed that there was a (to me) significant neck pocket gap between the neck and the body on the bass side. I didn't even think to look for this when I bought it because I'd never seen one before in all my years of trying out strats/teles. I took it back to the store and informed them that the gap was between .5mm and .75mm (i could easily fit a business card in the gap no problem). The manager said he would contact Fender to see if that gap is within 'tolerances' but that he would get me a replacement because I wasn't happy with the gap--after seeing the gap I couldn't get it out of my head, especially after looking for gaps on all the other Fenders in the store and couldn't find one and it was needless to say a little upsetting for me.

Because these were a FSR Limited Edition model in Canada they had to transfer one from another Long & McQuade. Even though I had to hound the store to make the transfer (because the manager didn't call it in that day and went on vacation early) I eventually got the replacement (brand new in box) 1.5 weeks later.

The new one I got has nicer fretwork than the previous one (which had fine fretwork already). At first I was a little bummed because the neck on the new one isn't as dark as my previous. If the original was a 'dark' roast' then the replacement is more of a 'medium' roast. After looking at it though for a few days I feel that it might actually suit the Daphne Blue a little better anyway. In reality, both looked great and played great, it's just a bummer my first one had a gap because it was fantastic instrument. Either way, I got a replacement which is even nicer than the first and one without a neck pocket gap. Needless to say I am still loving this guitar. It oozes mojo, sounds really good, and is very inspiring.

Here are a few pics (the first pic is of the old one to compare the darkness of the roasted maple):

ECsJaA0WkAc22oV

ED-wsvdW4AARvL5

ED-wsvcWsAE5UPh

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
I think the slightly lighter colored maple on the second one looks a tiny bit better. From the pics it looks like it has (or at least you can see) more figuring in the wood on the new one. Glad to hear you got is sorted out without too much hassle!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I think the slightly lighter colored maple on the second one looks a tiny bit better. From the pics it looks like it has (or at least you can see) more figuring in the wood on the new one. Glad to hear you got is sorted out without too much hassle!

Thanks. Yeah the service wasn't great (messy communication) but they made the exchange without a fuss so I'm happy about that!

Yeah the old one was cool because the darker neck made the wood grain more pronounced (mainly on the back of the neck), but the new 'lighter' one has some cool figuring, especially around the fretboard edges and near the neck joint.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
The lighter roast indeed looks "better" or at least better-matched with the blue finish of the guitar imo. Both look killer but if they'd been side by side in the store with everything else identical, I'd have chosen the lighter one. Also the other is almost so dark that it's approaching rosewood territory. You got a winner and I hate you now even more. :p

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
The lighter roast indeed looks "better" or at least better-matched with the blue finish of the guitar imo. Both look killer but if they'd been side by side in the store with everything else identical, I'd have chosen the lighter one. Also the other is almost so dark that it's approaching rosewood territory. You got a winner and I hate you now even more. :p

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks the lighter neck suits the Daphne blue better.
lol thanks!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I think the lighter colored neck looks better too, matches the body a little more naturally.

Zado

Reaction score
Looks great, but players need to stop worrying about neck gaps

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Looks great, but players need to stop worrying about neck gaps

From what I understand the majority of neck gaps probably aren't negatively impacting the instrument functionally (as long as its not a gap between the end of the neck and body). However, it is a sign of poor craftsmanship, and I'm not paying top-dollar for poor work. I remember seeing a Fender Custom Shop master builder talking negatively about neck gaps in a video awhile back--on the Fender Youtube Channel no less.

In my opinion, if you change most anything on a guitar by .5mm or more then that would be an issue, thus, something like a .5mm+ neck gap shouldn't pass QC, in my opinion.

At the end of the day it's a marker of poor and inconsistent quality control and I'm not paying for something sub-par.

Zado

Reaction score
From what I understand the majority of neck gaps probably aren't negatively impacting the instrument functionally (as long as its not a gap between the end of the neck and body). However, it is a sign of poor craftsmanship, and I'm not paying top-dollar for poor work. I remember seeing a Fender Custom Shop master builder talking negatively about neck gaps in a video awhile back--on the Fender Youtube Channel no less.

In my opinion, if you change most anything on a guitar by .5mm or more then that would be an issue, thus, something like a .5mm+ neck gap shouldn't pass QC, in my opinion.

At the end of the day it's a marker of poor and inconsistent quality control and I'm not paying for something sub-par.
Might be as you say, but it's wood, a very variable material. Also I've personally played loads of Strats with enormous gaps (lateral gaps and bottom neck gaps at times) that sounded just magic, while others with the tightest neck joint possible were underwelming at best. I've also tried loosening the bolts a little to see if any noticeable difference were produced with the neck and body not touching, and nothing major came out. I can understand the bother of having a less than perfect guitar in your hands when you have spent big moneys on it, but when talking Strats or Teles I'd never swap a good sounding one with a perfect looking other without knowing it will sound just as good. But again, that's just me.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Might be as you say, but it's wood, a very variable material. Also I've personally played loads of Strats with enormous gaps (lateral gaps and bottom neck gaps at times) that sounded just magic, while others with the tightest neck joint possible were underwelming at best. I've also tried loosening the bolts a little to see if any noticeable difference were produced with the neck and body not touching, and nothing major came out. I can understand the bother of having a less than perfect guitar in your hands when you have spent big moneys on it, but when talking Strats or Teles I'd never swap a good sounding one with a perfect looking other without knowing it will sound just as good. But again, that's just me.

Wood is variable, for sure. However, there are points or thresholds where variability becomes a problem.

Yeah that's understandable. As long as there is no functional issue then neck gaps are fine, and if its on an instrument that is otherwise top-notch and sounds great then its a non issue. For me however, I am not a fan of the 'aesthetic/look' and it was getting in my head and ruining my relationship with the guitar. For me, when I see a neck-gap it is a sign of inconsistency and lower build-quality, for someone else maybe not, and that's fine.

My replacement sounds a little better to me actually anyway so it worked out for the best.

Zado

Reaction score
I used to think the same, "why should I keep a guitar that could have been assembled better?" gaps really bothered me in the past, so I totally get what you are saying. It's just something that doesn't bother me as much anymore, if the guitar deserves so:fawk:

')