NGD- finally got a 7string

• Thread starter rumblebox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i've been pondering the idea for like 4 years and finally snagged one on eBay. I'm not into the all blacked-out pointy thing anymore, and i wanted one on the very low end of the price spectrum as a feeler to see if i really do want to use a 7 string long-term(most likely). After listening to so much dream theater lately, i really felt the need for one. Not to mention the fact that it's not very easy to find one that isnt factory-ruined by active routes.

It's a Dean Avalanche. It hasn't arrived yet, but judging by people's reviews, I'm probably installing a DiMarzio Blaze in the bridge and mag-swapping the neck pup. I'm also adding a 2nd volume pot and a splitter. I might put pickup rings on it and either zebras or chrome covers as well..... I like the classy look.

5eaTF2rl.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar and welcome to the 7 string world! Once you get used to it there is no turning back!

swedishfish

Reaction score
I was actually looking at buying that guitar on eBay the other day when I was high off my ass, I bid on an eleven rack too cuz pretty colors... Congrats on the guitar man.

mnit1965

Reaction score
Sure they could. Maybe someone just doesn't like the open look of direct mounted pups and screws some rings around them. They'd still be direct mount.

But without the ability to raise/lower the pickups since the screws would be covered by the rings...

Reaction score
I could do it by enlarging the holes on the rings and using a skinny screwdriver if i wanted to keep them direct-mount with rings, but it would be pointless. It doesn't make a difference unless the pickups are microphonic.

Reaction score
The stock pickups are the only weak point here. Probably going with a blaze and a PAF pro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 38

twizza

Social Assassin
Reaction score
I was actually looking at buying that guitar on eBay the other day when I was high off my ass,

Always a good approachMost good stories begin this way.

OP, definitely a classy 7!

kshands

Reaction score
Crazy GAS coming your way now! I wish I never would've have bought my first 7. Now I have 2, welcoming a third!

Reaction score
Installed a Blaze/PAF combo, installed new CTS pots, orange drop .047uF cap, and added a 2nd volume. Sounds like sseckxsz.... I got much more than i expected.

qn5wKLJl.jpg

')