NGD First 7! :D

BatuK

Reaction score
Hi guys, I finally managed to gather the effort to make an NGD for my RGA 7 which I got about a week ago. (I have a ton of Maths revision to do, and I like procrastinating >_> )

Specs:

5pc Wizard II-7 Maple/Walnut neck
Mahogany body
Jumbo frets
Gibraltar Standard-7 bridge
LZ7-N (H) neck pu :ugh:
LZ7-B (H) bridge pu :noplease:
Cosmo Black Hardware

25.5" Scale

Now for some pr0nz

DSC09369.jpg

DSC09385.jpg

DSC09370.jpg

DSC09381.jpg

DSC09380.jpg

DSC09378.jpg

DSC09379.jpg

DSC09375.jpg

DSC09377.jpg

DSC09386.jpg

DSC09389.jpg

DSC09384.jpg

Artsy picture for artfags like myself :3
DSC09390.jpg

Aaaand my...."collection"

DSC09392.jpg

Was gonna take them outside, but being London, the lighting conditions were worse than inside >_<

Anyway, onto the guitar. I got it second hand for £351.00 with the moulded Ibanez case, ( :uk: here :p ) so it had incredibly minor scuffs, like a small scratch on the back, which doesn't even show up if you don't stare at it for a good 10 minutes, and the volume knob is sorta wonky, so it scratches where the knob covers it, so it's unseen.

As for the pickups, they are a literal mess, and this is coming from a guy who previously used a guitar with EMG Selects.

The cleans are decent enough, and the EQ switch is pretty much pointless, although it makes the highs a bit more..thick and warm on clean.

I'm going to quite a bit to this guitar though, and need your advice with some things. I'm going to:

Remove Inlays, fill em in, and ebonize the fretboard.

Get Seymour Duncan Blackouts,

OR

EMG 707 OR 707X (In white :scream: )

OR just go passive, which would completely ruin the fact that I got the RGA, as I could have gotten an RG or RGD. But I liked the RGA body anyway :3

I'm going to be playing a lot of Djent with the 7, but I do play anything from Punk to Melodeath, and need some nice pickups that will do the job for me, so any ideas are welcome :)
I'm thinking of putting a Killswitch instead of the EQ switch, or another volume knob to make the 3-way to be used as a Killswitch...>_>

Thanks, SS :fever:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
I'm going to be playing a lot of Djent with the 7, but I do play anything from Punk to Melodeath, and need some nice pickups that will do the job for me, so any ideas are welcome :)
BAREKNUCKLE BAREKNUCKLE BAREKNUCKLE I HEARD THEY ARE GOOD

Djentai

lurk lord
Reaction score
If you want the active look that fits with the RGA7, but a passive soundish.. 707X
And you better get white ones!

DTay47

Reaction score
I would suggest against using the 3 way switch as a killswitch, as if you want to do buckethead style fast killswitch use, you will need an actual button (the eq switch as a killswitch would be better suited, as I assume it is a simple 2 position switch).
As for pickups, if you want active, go blackout (I believe you can get them in white now, not sure if they are for 7 strings though). If you want passives, everyone will say BKP, but I would advise against spending as much on pickups as you did on the guitar. Dimarzio CL/LF would certainly do, but thats just me... Keep in mind I'm pretty biased towards blackouts for actives, and dimarzio's for passives hah.

Rayaus

Reaction score
I KNOW BUTBUTBUT LIKE RE-ROUTING ETC :ugh:

You don't have to reroute the guitar to install passive pickups. This site sells conversion rings that make mountings passive pickups in active routes very easy : Frets On The Net Page 3.

I personally prefer passives, so I'd go with that, but if you prefer actives it'd be more simple since you don't have to change pots, etc.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
...I would advise against spending as much on pickups as you did on the guitar. Dimarzio CL/LF would certainly do, but thats just me...
Crunch Lab and LiquiFire are definitely a good way to go. I replaced my stock Ibanez pickups with them. I love the neck pickup for cleans, and lead playing is incredibly smooth. It was a big improvement. The Crunch Lab was slightly less of an improvement but I still like it. It's got some more output and clarity which is obviously a little better for distorted sounds but it also seems more compressed than the stock Ibanez pickups. The best part about replacing Ibanez pickups with DiMarzio for example is not about how they sound, but how they feel. It's hard to explain, but the way they respond to your playing and how they feel to play are just a huge improvement over Ibanez pickups. Thumbs up for that pickup combination.

BatuK

Reaction score
Seeing as EMG 707/707X and Blackouts are the same price here, and similar-ish in tone, I'm probably going to to with EMG's, if I choose to stay active as they come in white, stupid way to decide a pickup, I know, but

It's running on 2xAA batteries, so if I get EMG's, I'm going have to change most of the electronics on the guitar anyway, so Passive might just be about 10% extra work than actives. If I go passive, I'm going to get a white EMG-style housing to put em in anyway, as I said, I love the closed rather than the open pups.

Also the EMG's and CLab/LFire are pretty much the same price including the housing for the passives.

I already have a passive 6 string which is decent, which I will get some nice pups for soon, but the Selects aren't too bad atm.

Also, Pickup Rings.... :nono: really don't like them :lol:

WHY am I so bad at making decisions :(

')