NGD: First MIJ Ibby (Crazy eBay bargins content)

Oxidation_Shed

Nightman.
Reaction score
Well I wasn't looking for a new guitar but the temptation of a MIJ RG Prestige for less than £400 (that's 600 USD for all of our cousins from across the pond) was simply too much. When I first bid on it - with less than five hours to go, it was going for £225!

It's an RG 2620QM with Mahogany body with a beautiful quilted maple top. It sports the DiMarzio/IBZ pups, which will be going as soon as my next pay check comes in. The high gain tone can be coaxed into some fiery, mid-heavy saturation - unusually bright for a mahogany body in my experience - but that requires some fairly heavy eq'ing, both pre and post. The clean sound is incredibly dull: my RGD320 that I picked up for under £200 sounds better (that said I actually adore that thing clean, parallel neck pup, DI'd with a few sparse effects) and the clarity of notes within chords could be better. However, I'm fairly certain that a change of pups will help clear this up.

P1010040.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010049.jpg

It was filthy when I got it: the guy brought it as a first guitar and then gave up, this came off the fretboard two days ago.

Photoon2011-10-10at21434.jpg

U R shredding.:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murmel

Reaction score
I see those models popping up at low prices here too, I wonder why.

Sweet score duder.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Great score! Your most likely finding the lack in clarity because extended scales tend to make notes ring out a lot more clear :p I have the same thing when I switch back from 25.5'' on my 6 to 27'' on my 8.

Oxidation_Shed

Nightman.
Reaction score
Cheers dudes :L

No I mean this has less clarity than the RGD - the RGD having an extra inch on the scale length so it's sort of to be expected, but from a MIJ I'd like a bit more note definition. It's very articulate on the single note stuff, but tends to fall down with chord embellishments a la Hendrix