NGD!! (First ngd here)

• Thread starter Schecterwolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to finally pick up a 7 string! I wanted something relatively inexpensive to try with as I've only owned 1 7 before and quickly got rid of it (it was a cheaper ibanez. it just wasn't comfortable for me). I decided i was most comfortable with a 26.5 scale and so: (sorry these pictures are far from great...I'll try to get some better ones up tomorrow)

its a schecter...
2012-04-25125748.jpg

More particularly...
2012-04-25130257.jpg

A 2012 omen 7 in the new white finish :)
2012-04-25130204.jpg

Price: $350 new

First Impressions: To be honest, the look of it shocked me (pics are not doing much justice). The white is nice and the toned down (semi-goth) inlays are a drastic improvement over the usual crosses (present only on the 12th fret here. Pleasantly surprised to see that schecter installed black tusq nuts on these guitars. Out of the box, this guitar was set up nearly perfect.

I haven't had a chance to go into my main rig yet, so i plugged into my valve king.

Pros: Solid construction (no apparent flaws in the fingerboard, inlays, ect)
Decent hardware (no slipping while tuning or playing)
Pricepoint/Quality ratio here seems excellent
Playability (26.5 scale/schecter sized neck + big hands = comfort!)

Cons: Pickups - i'm not going into my main rig atm so this may change slightly, but there is a bit of extra noise present. They have decent mid focus and the low end is relatively tight with proper eq. (thinking about aftermaths already though)

overall the 2012 omen exceeded my expectations. For the price, this is a solid guitar and while there is room to upgrade (pickups for sure, tuners too), it is completely acceptable as is a very safe bet for people (like me) who are just starting to use 7s and want something reliable without torching the wallet

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DTay47

Reaction score
Good to see schecter is toning down their inlays a bit, it looks much better. Are you sure it is a TUSQ nut though? Just because it is black doesn't mean it is TUSQ.
Either way it looks great, happy NGD!

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Happy NGD! I'm a bit jelly that the new omens come with a binding. If you like it now, a pickup swap will make you fall in love. Worked for me at least.

Do the 2012 omens still come with the coil tap?

Reaction score
Are you sure it is a TUSQ nut though?
!
Yea its got the sticker on the back and came with one of their product packets. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't because of how little the strings slip

and this one does not coil tap unfortunately
but I can't complain, it performs very well :hbang:

UPDATE: Finally played it through my main rig (6505+, recto 412, pedals, ect)
A little eq work and i was getting some pretty nice tones. Neck pickup has a strange woody tone to it im not fond of but the bridge and middle positions work pretty well. Still up for a pickup swap, but this is definitely a nice performer for the price

')